5.0 out of 5 stars A Story for the Ages
Published on December 12, 1999 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars it's a story, nothing fantastic and maybe...
Creative, imaginative, yes, but also, scary for many. Illustrations are beautiful. The story content was not necessarily appealing to me or the children who shared the story with me. I am surprised by all the 5-star ratings.
Published on December 25, 2009 by Jasmine

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story for the Ages, December 12, 1999
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
My two sons absolutely loved this book. They liked the idea of going 'where the wild things are' and the book inspired a lot of play in our house. The book nicely balances the child's need for imaginative thinking with a sense of limits, and the pleasures of home. The illustrations clearly make this book great, because they provide a launch pad for this imaginary place. This is one of a handful of books that will bond you with your child for the rest of your lives. Don't miss that opportunity!
Unlike some children's books which are a little boring for the adults to read after the 350th time, I always enjoyed this one because I could think new thoughts each time I read it.
I think this is one of the best five books for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside The Mind Of A Child, November 30, 1999
Lisa Forrest (Sunman, IN USA) - See all my reviews
My mother first bought this book for my oldest son. It has endured as a beloved favorite to all three of my boys. I think that children can really identify with Max and his thoughts. When he is sent to his room for misbehavior, his imagination helps him to run away to where the wild things are and collect his thoughts. I believe that the author must remember what its like to be a child and feel like no one understands, and not quite understanding yourself. Ruling the wild things helps Max understand that he just wants to feel loved, and helps parents to keep in mind that such outbursts from children are generally cries for attention--for someone to love them best of all. Mr. Sendak understands children! When you read this book it will transport you back to your own childhood and you will remember that lost feeling of being a child. Bravo, Maurice! You are my hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no place like home!, December 14, 2010
One night Max was up to no good: he wore his wolf costume, did mischief of all kinds, and, therefore, was sent to his room without any supper. "That very night in Max's room a forest grew and grew..." until it turned into a thick jungle of trees and vines hanging everywhere. There even was an ocean tumbling, and "a private boat for Max" that took him into the world where the wild things are. The roaring, fierce creatures with yellow eyes, sharp teeth, and claws filled the land of this world. But Max wasn't frightened - he tamed them "with a magic trick", and they made him the king of all wild things.

But soon Max realized that having everything your way wasn't that much fun anymore: "And Max the king of all wild things was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all." So, Max sailed back to "his very own room where he found his supper waiting for him and it was still hot."

The illustrations are very artistic and helpful to envision the story. The wild things are fierce and untamed, but they are not drawn to be graphically scary. Some of the pages have just drawings without any words, making it a great opportunity for the kids to fill in the blanks.

Maurice Sendak creates a magical world of imagination where children can escape to, the place where the wild things are. The heart of the story is that kids have different ways of dealing with frustrations, but they all have one thing in common - they want to be loved unconditionally, and accepted for who they are. After all, there is no place like home!

Julia Shpak
Author of "Power of Plentiful Wisdom". Available on Amazon.
For more reviews on children's books visit my blog "Julia's Library" at: ForwardQuoteDOTcom

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 5, 2007
A Kid's Review
This is a story of a very bad boy's day of imaginative roll playing and final acceptance of his place in the real world. I love reading it to my little siblings and watching as their little faces lit up in recognition of adventures they had endured during their own periods of bad behavior... Check it out and get it for your brother or your listtle sister. Another MUST HAVE for older kids is the series Why Some Cats are Rascals, Book 2 by Nowiki. Very captivating and touching stories showing the world with cats eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Expanding the child's Imagination, November 9, 1999
By A Customer
Where the Wild Things Are is a childrens' book classic. The fluid, detailed illustration and simple naration of Maurice Sendak makes this book complete. It is the life and imagination of every child, to escape to a distant land and play with imaginary characters all day and be king for a day. Everyone should take the oppurtunity and place themselves in Max's world once in a while, it's healthy to have a imagination and develop a creative conscience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Where the Wild Things Are, March 28, 2002
ricky (Ames, IA USA) - See all my reviews
Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are is a wonderfully presented story for children. The tale focuses on an apparently rowdy youth, Max, who is sent to bed without supper for his rambunctious escapades in the house. Later that night Max dreams of a magical rowdy world where he is king of all things wild and terrible, but eventually Max comes to realize that having everything always go your way lacks any real fulfillment. The incorporation of some values into a beautifully illustrated adventure is sure to entertain any small child while still effectively presenting a subtle message. Thus, a child is not confused, nor presented with a meaningless tale. The pictures have been recognized worldwide and have been presented with the prestigious Caldicott Award for illustrations in children's books. This book is printed in hardcover, a bonus for when handling is to be done by children, and the font is large and separated from pictures to avoid confusion. The author's connection of the textual story to the pictoral story is helpful for children learning to read as well, as it helps to form associations between pictures and words. Widely recognized as a classic, Where the Wild Things Are is a necessity for any small child's library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Children must learn to conquer anger, September 6, 2009
Su-Chan (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
I read "Where the Wild Things Are" to my first child, a calm, obedient, and quiet child because it was supposed to be a classic. While we both enjoyed the brilliant illustrations and the storyline, I must admit that I -- also having been a calm, obedient child -- just didn't get it. Then I had my second child, a little girl who is a "wild thing."

Over-active children will probably relate to this story more. My little girl is intelligent, imaginative, rarely obedient and brings melodrama to the entire family, just like Max in the book. I began to see the book in a different light. It's the story of a boy who is lonely and angry, and the only way he can appropriately channel his anger is through imagination. The Wild Things are symbols of his wild emotions, which Max tames "with the magic trick of staring into their yellow eyes without blinking once," and he's made king of all wild things. After rollicking wildly in the forest, Max conquers his anger and becomes lonely, only wanting to go back where "someone loved him best of all."

Children who experience these strong - albeit brief - emotions often have difficulty understanding them at first and learn to conquer them to "re-enter" the adult world where they must behave. If you have a child like this, you'll appreciate Sendak's ability to illustrate the imagination and feelings of a child who does not yet have the maturity to express emotions verbally.

I can't wait for the movie release!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Great Book! ..., November 3, 2002
Jumbalihya (Bay City, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak is a really great book. It is winner of the Caldecott Medal for the Most Distinguished Picture book of the Year. The story is about a boy named Max who puts on a wolf suit and makes lots of mischeif. He is then sent to his room without any supper. He then dreams of going to where the wild things are. Something happens there and he decides that he wants to go home to where someone loves him the best and to the things that smell good to eat. He goes back home and supper is waiting for him in his room.
This is a great book for teaching children how to put words and pictures together. Mauice Sendak did an excellent job with the pictures. This book is not only fun to read and play along with but to learn a message. That being in charge and having everyone listen to you isn't always the greatest. Also, I think that this is an excellent bedtime story. Your children will have fun listening to you read it to them, and then them reading it to you as they get older. I highly recamend that you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Notes from a twenty-six year old Max..., December 20, 2000
I had somehow forgotten about this treasure until I worked at a family run bookstore for a few years. It was when cleaning the children's book section that I re-discovered this little marvel. How much do I like this book? How can you tell I love this book, it's simple story-telling and wonderful illustrations? The answer is simple. For the bookstore's annual Halloween party, I went as Max. It takes a special book to get a twenty-year old kid to ask his mom to make him a Max costume. Also takes a special mom. It's not very often that books like this come along, and they should be treasured, and most importantly, shared. Buy this book, read it to your kids, your nieces, nephews, grandkids, or read it for yourself. But don't get to thinking that my mom will make a costume for you too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story, classy art from a classy illustrator., October 10, 2002
Not much can be added to the accolades of so many people concerning the books and art of Maurice Sendak. I grew up with his work, I read his books to my children, I am reading them now to my grandchildren. ... And so will send for a hardback edition this time around. When children ask to read a book over and over again, you know that that book has found a place in their imaginations. This is one such book. When I think of a classic picture book, there are two such Maurice Sendak books that come to mind. His work is beyond mere illustration, it is an artform. The pictures require close attention to catch all the visual nuances.
Max is a typical little boy, who dons his wolf outfit and becomes a 'wolf' in his active imagination. In sending him to bed without dinner, he uses his imagination to turn his room into a wild forest inhabited by humongous monsters. He asserts his powers over the monsters, and becomes their rightful king, for he is surely a monster himself! Yet, his mother loves him in spite of his monsterism...and eventually he comes home to find that mother has relented and brought in his dinner...
This winter, get this book, this classic and sit down in a big chair with a child and read and pore over this book together. Every time a child is read to, it expands their imaginations, helps to determine their life course, aids in getting them ready for school and the 'real world'. Our children are not getting the aural and visual stimulation that is our right as chldren. My parents read to me, and I've never stopped reading because of that...in spite of captioned television and computer access. Our children have a right to be read to by someone they love and someone who loves them. Turn the television and computers off, and use a rainy evening to spend time with your own monsters. Maybe someday they will become the next Maurice Sendak!
Karen Sadler,
Science Education,
University of Pittsburgh

Where the Wild Things Are
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (Paperback - January 1, 1984)
$8.99 $6.00