Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Where Will You Go from Here?: Moving Forward When Life Doesn't Go as Planned
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 22, 2011
I just finished reading, "Where Will You Go From Here?" by Valerie Burton. This is a honest, true-to-life book that will enable you to rebound when life does not go the way you planned. This is something that resonates with all of us at one point in our lives or another. We all have experienced situations in life that we would loved to have handled differently. This book by Valerie Burton teaches you resilience to walk through the rest of our lives with our chin up along with an extremely positive attitude that will encourage us to approach life with a Godly attitude and guide us to becoming triumphant in all of life's situations -- big or small. This book is definitely a keeper and a reference guide for life. Which in retrospect, is something all of us can use in life.
on September 6, 2011
This book can best be summarized as when life throws you a curve ball, keep fighting your way through focusing on your faith, using a positive mindset and don't be afraid to revise your plan. I will surmise that this book will mean more to someone who is currently in a tumultuous situation. The book wasn't too long and it wasn't too preachy. It was just right.

First, I have to admit that I don't subscribe to the whole "life-coach" thing. I wouldn't pay someone to tell me what to do, be my cheerleader and create a life strategy for me (I have a mother for that). But for those who do, this book is a great resource for them. This book is full of encouragement, sprinkled with biblical principles for guidance.

The author also interspersed the book with inspirational stories from an assortment of people who faced misfortunes/hardships in their life. As I read the personal stories, I keep saying "wow!" For example, the author relayed a story in which her mother encouraged her to use a positive mindset because the power over life and death is in the tongue. I must say that I found most of the stories to be inspiring. In fact, my husband related to the passage on Roland Martin, a journalist that he watches on CNN. He kept saying to me, you can't tell what that man went through looking at his ascots today. Those stories are a testament on the fact that we don't know what struggles people have overcome to be where they are.

I encourage everyone, whether you are a positive thinker or not, to print out her 5 commitments and every month, repeat it to yourself.

1. I will not feel sorry for myself
2. I will not stare at the closed door
3. I will dig deep to unearth all the courage I need
4. I will direct my thoughts-my thoughts will not direct me
5. I will choose to believe all things work together for the good.

Most of what the author writes is true, self-pity and continual looking at the past will keep you in your ditch a lot longer than necessary. One thing that I would add is that a great support system can be invaluable in times of hardship.
I recommend this book to those who tend to see the glass half-empty. This book will provide the emotional pick up that can motivate their fighting spirit. Retraining one's thought process, along with faith in GOD, is a recipe for perseverance and eventual success.

**I received this book free from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.**
on August 29, 2011
There are times in our lives when we feel like we could bear the burdens and not grow weary in well doing if we just had someone to walk us through some of those trying times. Valorie Burton is a 'Life Coach' (a certified Personal and Executive Coach) and has written a book that is to be a companion guide for when life doesn't go quite like we plan. I chose this book to read this book as part of the Blogging for Books program with Waterbrook-Multnomah Publishers and received no payment for my review other than the privilege of being given this book for that purpose.

There are times, for all of us, that the unexpected happens. Relationships dissolve, loved ones die, accidents happen, jobs are lost...life just throws a curve ball that is so devastating that you're sure you won't recover from it. Step by step, Ms. Burton helps you to see that there is a purpose for everything and that 'Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out,' quote by John Wooden. If you know someone who is suffering in overwhelming struggles with life, two of the greatest gifts you could give them are #1. PRAYER and #2. THIS BOOK! And if you love to be able to give good, sound, G-dly advice to folks who are hurting, then this book should be a staple good on your shelf! Through the sharing of her life struggles, and those of others who examples she shares, you will see the process we all go through to get back on our feet and become better for having experienced it all. You can apply her concepts to all of life's struggles, large or small, and give a positive outlook when the days seem darkest. A good read and glad to have it residing on my shelf!
VINE VOICEon August 16, 2011
"Where will you go from here?" by Valorie Burton has some amazing life-coach tips inside. Her advice also references some generic Christianesque thoughts and a few Bible verses. Each chapter features a true story about someone who overcame a huge obstacle of some sort. All the ingredients are there to make a great book; but it just doesn't seem to come together. The core of her message are five life-coaching phrases:
1) I will not feel sorry for myself
2) I will not stare at the closed door
3) I will dig deep to unearth all the courage I need
4) I will direct my thoughts - my thoughts will not direct me
5) I will choose to believe all things work together for good.

After that, Valorie takes the reader through a thought journey:
1) figure out where you are in life and what exactly the damage is
2) look at your history to figure out how you got here
3) give a name to exactly what you're afraid of
4) look around for resources that will help you recover
5) figure out where to go now (same path? new path? redefine yourself?)
6) plot a course to the new destination
7) take charge of your thoughts
8) figure out how you're growing and share your experience with others

Overall, good life-coaching in a soft-Christian setting.

Disclaimer: I received this book free from WaterBrook Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
on August 18, 2011
An excellent self-coaching book! No matter what your setback is, you will find this book empowering, enlightening, and encouraging. You may have lost your job; you may have gotten divorced; you may have had a tragic accident - to say this book is useful for any setback is an understatement.

This is a thorough book, which includes how to catch negative thinking; how to recognize how your emotions factor, how to figure out your next move; and much more. The author includes wisdom from psychologists, as well as the Bible. Each chapter ends with a prayer that is devoted to the topic of the chapter. Even more, the author is not condescending, and is realistic and encourages the reader to remain realistic and flexible with goals.

This is not a book that simply addresses feel good Bible verses. This is truly a highly useful book to get your life back on track, no matter what your setback is. The author starts the book with 5 key commitments you need to make to yourself to start you on the road to recovery. Here are the commitments, which are explained and in the very first chapter:

1. I will not feel sorry for myself.
2. I will not stare at the closed door.
3. I will dig deep to unearth the courage I need.
4. I will direct my thoughts - my thoughts will not direct me.
5. I will choose to believe that all things work together for good.

Using real life examples from the author's life, as well as others she has coached, this book is fantastic. The author is very realistic as to how you will most likely feel during the process of your comeback - such as, why don't I feel better, now? I highly recommend this book to everyone.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. This in no way influenced my review.
on March 11, 2012
In this book, Valorie Burton, writer, speaker, and life coach tries to address the situations that many of us encounter - that of having a personal crisis and what follows. However, it seemed like she was trying to dump everything she knows, mention each topic that may come up during a counseling session between these covers.

She states at the beginning that her two goals are to help the reader determine where to go from here, and to help the reader eventually thrive. So it was intended to help a person rebuild their life, and also to get the tools needed to go forward.

Burton begins with a discussion of the word "resilience." She says that "the essence of resilience is your ability to effectively navigate adversity and courageously face whatever life throws your way." (page 6) She later adds that "Resilience is a skill that can be honed. The more you practice it, the better you get." This is a pretty big difference from my understanding of resilience: an ability to bounce back from a challenge, such as an illness, a job loss, an accident.

Burton lays out five basic principles that she wants the reader to buy in to, and commit to:
1. I will not feel sorry for myself.
2. I will not stare at the closed door.
3. I will dig deep to unearth all the courage I need.
4. I will direct my thoughts - my thoughts will not direct me.
5. I will choose to believe all things work together for good.

She then leads the reader through the process of assessing the present situation (dealing with shock) , evaluating personal fears and whether they are realistic, finding stability and strength (acceptance); evaluating personal needs and locating resources; deciding whether to continue on the old path or make a new one; learning who you really are; and goal-setting. Lastly she speaks about joy.

Valorie Burton takes on way too much in this text. She covers many topics, skimming over them, but not really covering any of them well at all. A few of them are decision-making, self-sabotage, fear, seeking God's wisdom, goal-setting, core thoughts behind negative emotions, negative thinking, and character strengths.
There are some helpful things in the book. She includes a list of signs of depression, a chart of emotions that produce specific thoughts, a list of character strengths, and a nice little section on goal-setting.

As I read this book, I found myself becoming very tired of her first principle. Burton repeatedly states that a person who is recovering from an adversity shouldn't spend time in self-pity. Instead, we should review the circumstances of how we got to where we are, and then move on. To me, this seems pretty unrealistic. Many times there are events which alter lives dramatically, and to not spend any time feeling sorry for oneself is an impossible expectation.

I also found the text to be poorly written. She uses a lot of words. Chapters seven and eight were wordy and lengthy, and could easily have been combined.
Most disappointing was her use of Scripture. In many cases, she wrote a paragraph or two, then tacked a verse on at the end, or vice versa, but did not tie it together.

on July 21, 2011
Where Will You Go From Here by Valorie Burton is targeted towards those facing difficult circumstances or challenging transitions in life. I chose to read it because we all face these situations sooner or later, and I want to learn how to deal with them in the most positive way possible.

However, I was disappointed. The version I read was on my Kindle, and I was incredibly distracted by poor formatting -- extra and unnecessary spacing, split pages, and incomprehensible graphics. I received my eBook directly from the publisher, and I would think that they double- and triple-check these things. I'm not sure if formatting can vary from one eBook version to another, or from one device to another, say from Kindle to Nook. I did request a sample version of the Kindle e-book from Amazon, and the formatting in the sample seemed fine. Perhaps it's just the version I received, or an issue with my device itself.

Regardless, I really couldn't get past the formatting issues to truly engage with the content. I did read it, and it seemed fairly interesting and relevant. I did enjoy the short vignettes describing how people facing difficult circumstances overcame them.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Multnomah Press book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
on July 21, 2011
I have read most of Valorie Burton's books and this latest one did not disappoint me. She shares her personal experience in a way that is encouraging and helpful. I recommend this book to anyone who is facing a new challenge and could use direction.
on October 7, 2012
Book gives useful and practical ideas and guidelines towards dealing with all different setbacks in life. Our church small group is using it as a follow-up after studying "Understanding Your Grief" by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D. It is a practical "positive" while dealing with one of the most depressing facts of life.
on February 20, 2015
This is great book! If you are or even have gone thru any form of setback and you need to reformulate your 'game plan' in life this book is for you. She is a great writer that anyone over 14 can use to get to a better place when things have not gone your way. Another book that she wrote, Get Unstuck, Be Unstoppable,, is great for helping you get outof that rut and move forward. The 2 books together made me decide to go back
To college after getting my Nursing degree 30 years ago! I reomend this book and suggest anyone get it,get it for a friend , just get it.