OK, Soi Where's the Beef ? Is Hewitt Pro or Con Romney ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2007 10:11:21 AM PST
My daughter got into the Christians vs Mormons fray in a big way, with her discerning peek under the mattresses in the Blogs of Beauty Contests a year ago. After the scalding she got, she left blogging altogether. But she also had long sung the praises of Mr. Hewitt, so I'm very curious to see if this book is a slam or not, or even a very sneaky darning with faint praise slam ? Is Mr. Hewitt going to be not so discerning in order to elect a Republican as the cost of a slight modification here, of his religious/moral beliefs ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 5:06:36 PM PST
Hugh Hewitt is very balanced and has found the anti-Mormon crowd lacking in persuasive arguments. It is already apparent that Mitt's religion is not going to hurt his potential Republican supporters. Republicans have long ago abandoned bigotry. What it may do, though, is combine the lunatic left-wing with the lunatic anti-Mormons. This would be a great combination to be up against in the general elections.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 8:28:03 PM PST
The book isn't out yet, of course, so I can only go by what he says on his blog and radio show, of which I record all 15 hours a week for my mp3 player, so I (eventually) hear most of what he says. But judging from that, I would say that...that....that....Well, before I say *that* let me say that "pro" means he thinks he has good odds that he *will* win, rather than *should* win, and "con" means he won't win rather than being bad for America. So he's fastidiously not endorsing anybody, though anyone with enough grey matter to be paying attention to him knows that, in politics, early predictions of success begets success. So with that caveat, it is clear that Hewitt is pro-Romney. He thinks all the GOP contenders are flawed in one way or another, but Romney's Mormonism is easier to overcome compared to the others' flaws. Why? He hasn't let loose so much as a peep. I guess I have to buy the book now as penance for skipping over all those commercials on my mp3 player (but I almost bought one of those air ionizers he was hawking, honest.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2007 4:51:11 PM PST
"...but Romney's Mormonism is easier to overcome..."

This makes it sound like Hewitt has reservations about Mormons and politics mixing, just that he's not letting on for various reasons. Nothing could be further from the truth. As a constitutional law scholar, Hewitt understands perfectly well the importance of Article 6 in the Constitution, and I assume this book addresses that concept (if not directly, at least persuasively) very well.

I'm basing this on everything else I've heard the man say, including his adamant stance against all types of religious bigotry.

It should also be noted that Hewitt was long-time friends with a prominent Mormon leader, Neil Maxwell.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2007 10:32:21 AM PST
T. Beemer says:
"This makes it sound like Hewitt has reservations about Mormons and politics mixing"

No, this just means he's being realistic in accepting that for many uneducated voters and the mainstream media, his Mormonism *is* an issue. It will be easier for Romney to overcome that with the voters than McCain's longtime "me first" attitude or Giuliani's perception as being too socially liberal.

It should also be noted that Hewitt was long time friends with many prominent leaders from other religious and non-religious groups as well, but what bearing that has on Romney I'm not sure. Your statement makes no sense.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 2, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Mormon in the White House? 10 Things Every American Should Know about Mitt Romney
A Mormon in the White House? 10 Things Every American Should Know about Mitt Romney by Hugh Hewitt (Audio Cassette - May 16, 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (73)