Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2012 7:40:55 PM PDT
This version of the 40th anniversary edition of Thick As A Brick is listed as an import. Where's the U.S version? Amazon had a listing for it, but it disappeared.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:39:52 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
Uh, it's back. I came here from the Amazon U.S. listing of this product. I have the 1997 25th Anniversary version, and frankly, I'll stick with it. Nothing new in the way of music, just remixes. What bollocks.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:52:25 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
Uh, it's back. I came here from the Amazon U.S. listing of this product. I have the 1997 25th Anniversary version, and frankly, I'll stick with it. Nothing new in the way of music, just remixes. What bollocks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 6:19:57 PM PDT
No repeat posts!!! btw, I like remixes and the TAAB remix novel-styled package.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 6:23:00 PM PDT
I just checked and it's listed as a import on Amazon U.S.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 6:11:12 AM PDT
well, if you know anything about Steven Wilson's unbelievable remastering/remixing of vintage recordings (i.e. virtually King Crimson's entire catalog, Emerson Lake & Palmer's 1st 2 cds (so far), or the glorious 40th anniversary Aqualung), then you'd rethink your position. He is the front man for Porcupine Tree (among other side projects), and his P Tree and solo CD/DVDs are typically the ones heard in audiophile listening rooms for demo purposes.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 1:07:31 PM PDT
Glyn Styler says:
The Doctor knows best! Anyone who's heard Steven Wilson's miraculous remix/remaster of "Aqualung" knows that this new version of TAAB is cause celebre for Tull fans! The new King Crimson remasters are also fantastic. And you get them in high resolution DVD-Audio, which is anything but bollocks.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:50:41 AM PDT
M. Clark says:
It appears Amazon has removed the word "IMPORT" from the description and the price has dropped considerably from where it started.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 8:28:06 PM PDT
Good to know. A similar thing was done on the Best Buy website. They had it as an inport, but it's now domestic.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 3:14:57 AM PDT
WTF? Who's the bonehead at Amazon that keeps changing the product description? Now, it's listed as an important again. Stop it!!!

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 3:13:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 3:15:00 PM PDT
M. Clark says:
It's on EMI. It's an import whether it says so or not.
As long as the price is right, that's all that matters to me.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:49:57 PM PDT
I don't want to pay big money for an import. Where's the domestic version? Are you the joker that keeps changing the description? Best Buy has the domestic version. I'll guess I'll buy from Best Buy then.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:11:34 PM PDT
M. Clark says:
EMI is a British label. It is NOT domestic. Their domestic label is Capitol. This version is on EMI (a part of the description that has not wavered), therefore it is technically an IMPORT whether you like it or not.
On top of that, the price is $26.99, the EXACT same price as Best Buy.
Yes, the Best Buy version is on Capitol (domestic, non-import) and Amazon's is on EMI (IMPORT, whether that word is in the description or not).
So go ahead. Go to Best Buy and pay $26.99 for the domestic version and avoid paying the "big money" of $26.99 for the import.

Oh, and that "big money" for me is $26.84 (the lowest price since I pre-ordered...low price guarantee you know), and it could go less before release.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 1:35:53 PM PDT
My point is that Amazon is doing false advertising. There is an image of the front of the actual cd that can be enlarged, and the label says Chrysalis(not EMI). Isn't Chrysalis J-Tull's U.S label, and EMI their British label? Also isn't the import audio for the cd(not dvd) 5.1, whereas it's regular stereo in the U.S? My point is that this is the U.S, so Amazon should be selling the U.S version(not U.K). That's like going to the Amazon U.K website and they're advertising the U.S version, and only the U.S Version.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 4:04:50 PM PDT
lighten up... they can't be responsible to change their artwork every tiime a new source shows up.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:40:13 AM PDT
A couple of points. Chrysalis is JT's designer label in the UK. MFG and Dist. by EMI in the UK. Several UK bands had their own labels at one time. About the formats. All CDs are stereo. Period. That's why the surround mixes are on DVD-Audio. Similar to SACDs. Check that your player will play DVD-Audio, before buying. When DVD-Audio first came out you had to have a player for them. A regular DVD player would only play stereo. Players like OPPO will play all of these formats. BTW, if you have the equipment, these mixes sound fantastic. Steve Wilson is the best.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:43:31 PM PST
W. Briare says:
Are the import 5.1 DVD mixes NTSC?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:07:01 AM PST
my 6 cats says:
Not really happy with what I got. The IanAnderson.com website said there were three editions to be included in the package: 1. the original distribution, 2. a remix for 5.1 surround, and 3. another remastering by Steven Wilson. From what I can see, I received a CD with a 1994 version of TAAB and a DVD with some videos.Thick As A Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:43:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:44:00 AM PST
M. Clark says:
Not sure what you "see", but just going by the box (just received it 5 minutes ago), it has a 2012 stereo mix on the CD, and a 5.1 remix, new stereo remix, and 1972 flat transfer on the DVD, as well as a radio ad. No mention of videos.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:30:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 4:33:57 PM PST
P. M. Bego says:
The text on the box says "special anniversary edition has a CD containing a remixed version of the album by local engineering whiz Steven Wilson. The DVD contains the album remixed to 5.1 surround sound, again by Steven, in both DTS and Dolby Digital. It also has high resolution stereo of the remixed album and the original 1972 mix. Read more on the back cover of this package..." So, yes, the CD is the 2012 remix version (stereo, of course, because that's what CDs are...), and the DVD contains a whole bunch of different formats, which are generally superior to the CD in quality (in particular, the 96/24 PCM format which is far superior to CD-quality audio.). I haven't tried the DVD yet so I can't say for sure what is there -- just reading what is on the package. Note that depending on what device you try to play the DVD on, it might not support all those formats. But it's definitely not just "a DVD with some videos."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:32:47 PM PST
P. M. Bego says:
To the question of NTSC, yes, the box says DVD NTSC Aspect Ratio 16:9 DVD9 Region0 (All Regions)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:12:57 PM PST
According to the Best Buy website, the U.S version of this album will be released on the 12th of this month. Will Amazon have it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:50:52 PM PST
M. Clark says:
Why would they? It's the same exact thing that they already have.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:54:23 PM PST
Is it really the same exact thing? For one, the front of the U.S cd says Capitol: the U.K one should say EMI. On other forums, people are complaining about bad sound. Maybe the domestic version on Capitol has better sound? Also, does anyone remember the Genesis cd/dvd combo reissues? In the U.S, the audio cds were regular audio; in the U.K, they were Superaudio cds. I think that the new Thick As A Brick reissue is a similar thing. Regular audio for the cds in the U.S? Doesn't the U.K version have 5.1 audio for the cd(not dvd) cause the U.K has equipment that can play 5.1 cds? Same reason why the U.S discontinued doing SACDs and Dualdiscs. I believe that the U.K still does those. Also, you're argument does not hold water, because Queen re-released their albums last year. Everything was the same, except for the labels. The U.S cds were made by Hollywood Records, while the ones in the U.K were made by Island Records. I'm just saying that Amazon should give us the option on this if they give us the option on everything else.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:46:45 PM PST
M. Clark says:
Dude, you're exhausting. Why don't you just buy it from Best Buy and be done with it?
I've never seen anyone make such a big deal over something so trivial.

And btw, the description of the domestic version vs the import is the exact same thing.
In the case of the Genesis box sets, the differences were made clear. And I'm not arguing about Queen.
You make no sense whatsoever.
I'm officially done with this discussion.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Thick As A Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition)
Thick As A Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition) by Jethro Tull (Audio CD - 2012)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (61)