‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ovations for Outrageous Orange Orangutan Outings!, December 26, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
This book clearly deserves more than five stars.
Like all of the great children's books, this one succeeds at several levels. The story creates a connection for the reader or listener between humans and animals at a caring, considerate level that can provide a model for human relations as well. It also succeeds as an adventure story, along the lines of a gigantic hide-and-go-seek game. At another level, it helps the reader or viewer become more observant with an early version of Where's Waldo? and I Spy. Finally, the book shows the potential for all to enjoy themselves more by cooperating to expand curiosity and exploration.
The book begins with the relationship between Wallace, an orangutan in a little zoo in a big busy city, and his keeper, Mr. Frumbee. The two are very attached to each other. They eat, read, and play games together . . . almost like parent and child. Mr. Frumbee even keeps Wallace's money for him in a bank. Then one day, the door of the cage is left ajar and Wallace escapes with his bank to buy some fine clothes. Seven more escapes follow, each following a discussion about the outside world that interests Wallace. For each of the eight escapes, Hilary Knight provides a wonderfully detailed two-page spread where you are encouraged to find Wallace. If you cannot, for some reason, he tells you where Wallace is on the next page. After you tire of this game or memorize the locations, Wallace has 6 companions in each of the panoramas that you can locate, as well. These illustrations will remind you of the best of the Richard Scarry drawings in their beautiful detail and colorations.
Along the way, Wallace is found each time by Mr. Frumbee, and they manage to spend a little time having fun with each other before returning to the zoo. What a nice counter model to the usual outrage and screaming of the caregiver who is looking for the lost child! Wallace finds himself in a park having a picnic, a department store buying clothes, a natural history museum with a dinosaur skeleton, a three ring circus, a baseball park, a midway at an amusement park, and an apartment building near the zoo.
The first hint that this could be a great book comes when you see that the story and panoramas are by Hilary Knight, the famed illustrator of the four Eloise stories.
The second hint comes quickly thereafter when you read Judith Viorst's description of her copy of the book, acquired in 1964 when it was first published. Her "original copy . . . [is] chewed on, dribbled on, spilled on, exhaustively read." Now what more could you hope for from a children's book?
The third hint hits you when you open the first panorama and find yourself engrossed in the beautifully detailed, small drawings across the two page spread. If you are like me, it takes you a minute or two to find Wallace, even though he isn't that hard to find in this panorama.
The fourth hint shows itself when you notice that Wallace is trusted with the door open, even though he takes off a lot. What is that trust all about? Ah, you see that Hilary Knight is subtly trying to show how you let children grow up by giving them chances to be responsible with suitable, simultaneous observation.
The fifth hint struck me when I noticed that Mr. Frumbee seemed to be enjoying the serendipity of the outings as much as Wallace was. This suggested a new level of mature behavior to encourage parents to be a little less up-tight.
The final hint for me was when I found myself smiling as I turned every page, in happy anticipation of a fun adventure. Few books affect me that way. I was glad to return to the days of being 6 years old when the world seemed totally unlimited in its potential to amaze and amuse me. I think you will also enjoy that return visit in the time machine. The book also ensures that your child will feel that expansiveness, as well.
After you finish enjoying this wonderful story for the fifth straight reading in the same day, I suggest that you arrange to duplicate the adventures . . . starting with a trip to a zoo (or a farm, forest, or park, if you don't have a zoo handy). You can pick five types of animals to look for. But be sure to just explore whatever is there, as well. You can then make a scrapbook of your visits, with colored drawings (or, if you want to get fancy, you can take some photographs).
If you have a chance to go to Manhattan, you should know that Hilary Knight was inspired by an orangutan in the Central Park Zoo to write and illustrate this story. Then, you can make a literal pilgrimage. While you are there, remember that Eloise is only a few blocks away at The Plaza Hotel. Be sure to visit her picture in the south part of the lobby area, just off of the Palm Court.
Where's the fun? It's all around you . . . if you take the time to pursue it! Loosen up to enjoy being with your child more.

5.0 out of 5 stars See What Waldo Ripped Off!, November 5, 2006
David Kennedy (Shippensburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
Where's Waldo ripped off this book in both concept and title. See the original! Where's Wallace is better in every way: wittier pictures, cuter characters, warm storyline, creative pictures instead of the mind-numbing field full of Waldo-like images.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original, August 21, 2000
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
How wonderful to see this book back in print again! Hilary Knight is also the illustrator of Kay Thompson's "Eloise" books, but here he shines on his own with a masterpiece. The more famous "Where's Waldo" books seem but a pale imitation of this earlier, more original winner. For one thing, Knight's book is full of wit. It even has something of a plot, about a clever orangutan who is allowed to escape from the zoo by his friendly keeper. Every time he escapes, the keeper goes to look for him. Knight's panoramas invite hours of searching, not only because Wallace is hidden in them somewhere but also because the pictures are fraught with hilarious activity. Kids will read the book through once and find Wallace, but perceptive ones will then return to the book innumerable times because Knight has generously included at least seven other characters who recur in the backgrounds of every fun-filled page, among them a jogger and a knitting lady. Filled with winning characters and gorgeous pictures, this classic definitely deserves to be restored to its rightful place as THE find-the-character book. I recommend owning it. I'm still studying the pictures, even in adulthood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilary Knight's Timeless Classic, June 25, 2001
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
Way before there was Waldo, there was Wallace, an orangutan with long orange fur who lives at the zoo. Everybody loves Wallace and his cage is always surrounded by happy, laughing people. Mr Frumbee, his zookeeper, has always treated Wallace like one of his own family and they are special friends. They often eat together, or read books, or just have a good time. But even though he has a very good life at the zoo, Wallace wanted to get out and see some of the world Mr Frumbee was always telling him about. One day Mr Frumbee didn't close Wallace's cage door tightly and he escaped to the department store..... Hilary Knight's classic story of an adventurous monkey is truly as wonderful today, as it was when he wrote it 37 years ago. His charming and humorous text, with clues to help find Wallace, is only outdone by his marvelously intricate panoramic illustrations, full of energy, busy activity and detail. Children will revel in the fun of helping Mr Frumbee find Wallace over and over again, at the department store, beach, baseball game, nature museum, circus, amusement park and even out in the country, picnicking. And for those who find Wallace and are up to an additional challenge, check out the totem pole at the museum, for a hint and then locate his six friends in each picture, that always travel with him. Perfect for youngsters 4-8, Where's Wallace is a timeless family classic to be shared and treasured for many generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's better than pen and ink Hilary Knight? Full color, December 12, 2000
Edward Aycock (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
Being the big Hilary Knight fan, I was happy to see that this book has been reprinted for those of us who were not around the first time it came out. Yay! The artwork in this book is classic Knight, and the story is fun and engaging (and predates Where's Waldo by almost three decades.) I am thrileld to see Knight finally getting his due, and I sure wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this book either.. hint hint. Wallace is actually more innocent and likable than Eloise, so not even the reader is too frustrated that he keeps escaping. After all, with the world that Knight has created, how could we not want to get out and explore as well?
The pictures alone are fun to look at. Kids will enjoy spending time looking at the pictures (well, I did too...)

5.0 out of 5 stars my all time favorite book growing up, July 28, 2004
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
When I was pregnant with my son, I searched for this book. When I was growing up, my Mom would read Where's Wallace to my siblings and I every night. We couldn't get anough of it. I was so excited to find it still in print. Finding Wallace on every page, as well as other recurring characters, was one of the highlights of my childhood, and although my son is only 1 1/2 now, I hope it will be of his too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting my childhood, April 11, 2002
Jennifer P. Harris (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
One of my absolute favorite books from childhood, "Where's Wallace" still does not disappoint. Both youngsters and adults will find themselves glued to the pages as they attempt to identify the whereabouts of a multitude of characters which appear in various scenes throughout the book. Hilary Knight's illustrations are fabulously humorous and clever - a perpetual joy to read that never gets dull!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader from HI, December 19, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Where's Wallace (Hardcover)
I had this book when I was a little girl and ended up giving it away when I was older. I spent hours looking for Wallace and was always pleased when I could find him. Now I am expecting a little girl of my own and want to start a library of books and include all the books I loved as a child. I am disappointed this book is out of print; hopefully I will be able to find one somewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am thrilled to share this with my children, September 4, 2002
This review is from: Wheres Wallace (Hardcover)
This was a favorite of mine as a child. I am so pleased to be able to get them their own copies.(mine is a bit tattered) They love finding Wallace and all of his friends over and over again. This book just stands up to the test of time. We read it every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, wonderful, unforgettable!!, June 19, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Where's Wallace (Paperback)
This book helped shape the way I look at the world today---a fantabulous world full of detail and adventure in the everyday. Thank you, Hilary Knight, for this wonderful, whimsical book, providing hours of enchantment for impressionable little girls and boys!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Wheres Wallace
Wheres Wallace by Hilary Knight (Hardcover - August 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $36.39