Most helpful positive review
251 of 255 people found the following review helpful
This product works well
on March 29, 2012
I have used various key finders over the years with varying degrees of success. I have been using this product over the past six weeks, and except for one glitch that the seller promptly corrected at no expense to me (discussed below), this product has been working quite well. Here is why I like it:
1. Contrary to one of the negative reviews, I don't think that the plastic or construction in general is cheap. To the contrary I find it to be sturdy and durable. I frequently toss my car keys with the blue transmitter into my briefcase or gym bag, and so far I don't see even a scratch, let alone any cracks.
I like that I can open the cover on the blue transmitter to change the battery withhout any special tools; I use either a dime or a paper clip. On the black transmitter, the battery cover just slides right off.
2. Contrary to another negative review, I have not experienced any "delay" in having the transmitter beep when I am trying to find my keys. To the contrary, the beeping starts right away after I press the transmitter, and is loud enough to find my keys even when they were inside the pocket of a jacket that I had hung in an upstairs closet on the second floor of my house. I started in the kitchen and just followed the sound of the beeping. Yes it was very faint from where I was standing in the kitchen, but I was surprised that I could hear anything at all in the kitchen once I discovered where the keys were.
3. I use the black transmitter for a second set of keys even though that transmitter is used by many people for a remote. It works just fine, and I attached it to large key ring that the Lexus dealer gave me. Replacing those keys would cost me $300, so it's critical that I always be able to find them.
4. The one "glitch" that I encountered, which is also the subject of several negative reviews, is that after the first couple of weeks the blue transmitter would start beeping for no reason. I know that the transmitters are supposed to beep when the batteries are low, but I tested the batteries with a battery tester, and they were fine. I then contacted the seller by email to explain the problem.
5. The seller responded very quickly (less than 24 hours) and told me that sometimes the feature of having the batteries beep when they are low did not function properly, with the result that there was random beeping. She said that this had not happened in most of the units, and that in the future she was going to eliminate this feature so nobody would have the problem. In the meantime, at no cost to me she promptly sent me a new blue transmitter, which has been working just fine over the past month.
6. It is not unusual for any electronic product to sometimes develop a "glitch", and I have experienced my fair share of those over the years. But if the seller readily acknowledges the problem, and promptly corrects it at no cost to me, then for me such customer service trumps whatever initial inconvenience I may have had. This seller has advised me by email that she is trying to start a new business, supply a quality product, and correct any problems that her customers may encounter. Actions speak louder than words, and in this case the seller's actions confirm her words. I have never had better customer service.
Bottom line: If you want to stop wasting time looking for your keys or remote, this is the product to buy. And if you encounter any problems, just email the seller. Based on my own experience, she definitely aims to please.
Update May 28, 2012: I recently ordered another set of receivers, but this time I contacted the seller directly and got two receivers for my keys instead of one receiver for a remote and one for the keys. They work fine. The cost was the same.
Update July 31, 2012: I am so pleased with this product that I am now getting a third set of receivers. I have saved myself countless hours of aggravation looking for keys. And except for the initial "glitch" with my first set that the seller corrected immediately, this product has performed flawlessly and proved to be durable.
Update September 13, 2012: One of the transmitters from my most recent order started beeping randomly. I contacted the seller, who promptly responded that the problem was caused if the battery was too loose. She suggested that I remove the battery, slightly bend the metal contact strip up, and replace the battery. I did that, and problem solved.
I have now been using this product for almost six months, and am very pleased with its performance.
Update March 15, 2013: I have now been using this product for a year. Nothing has broken and everything works fine. This has saved me countless hours of aggravation in search for my keys when I misplace them.
Update July 17, 2013: Still working great. Recently I was in a rush and of course couldn't find my keys. I pressed the finder and at first heard nothing. I thought maybe the battery in my transmitter had died. Nope, because when I started walking around the first floor of my house I finally heard a faint beeping on the second floor. Turns out they keys were in the pocket of pants I had worn the night before--which were in a closet with closed doors, and the closet was in a bedroom with a closed door. I'm amazed that I could hear anything. So have no doubt whether this will be loud enough to find your keys when you misplace them.
Update Dec. 24, 2013: Still working great. I've lost count of how many times this product has saved the day by locating my lost keys. One time I accidentally scooped them up with some mail I was throwing out and they landed in the middle of my kitchen trash can. I still can't believe I did that, and without this product I would have wasted a long time looking for them.
Update August 25, 2014: I just ordered another set because family members have permanently borrowed some of my other sets since this works so well. The latest set has the same clear directions and not only includes all the necessary batteries, but has an extra set as well. Hands down this is the best key finder that I have used.