Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Customer Discussions > The Other Bible forum

Where's the Gospel of Peter?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2007 6:32:32 AM PDT
Fili says:
Isn't that one of the earliest gospels we have (from c. 150 CE?)? Isn't that a pretty significant work? I'm not in any way a scholar, I'm just wondering why that one's not in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2007 1:31:06 AM PDT
W.T.Hoffman says:
One of the places where i know the GOSPEL OF PETER is found, is in the LOST BOOKS OF THE BIBLE AND THE FORGOTTEN BOOKS OF EDEN. This book was originally published BEFORE the discovery of the dead sea scrolls and the Nag Hammadi library. (the Gnostic Scrolls) THe Gospel of Peter was discovered in 1886, and is actually just a fragment. For the most part its an account of the passion, from the night trial before Pilate, until the place where Peter and Andrew go fishing. This Gospel is mentioned by many of the ancient writers, and was presumed lost. I would guess, that just like the "Q" gospel that was used along with Mark, to help write Luke and Matthew, that this Gospel of Peter was used, back in the time when there were no complete gospels, in the sense of the long stories. I guess you had the sayings gospel Thomas and "Q", the account of the crusifixion by Peter, the early form of John, which was a list of the miracles. In my estimation, this Gospel of Peter is very important. However, since i think that for the most part, it was used for the four canonical gospels very closely, it was not nessacary, and like the "Q" gospel, etc, it was either not copied, or was not SUPPOST to be copied. (maybe like the secret gospel of MARK?) The only real difference i found, was that when Jesus was on the cross, he cries out MY POWER MY POWER, instead of MY FATHER MY FATHER. There are many more details in the telling of the passion, which isnt in the canonical gospels. Also, for those who are interested in the way that women were much more important in the early church, Mary Magalene was much more important in this Gospel of Peter. (So, was it part of the goal to mitagate the role of women in the church?) I hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 1:17:13 PM PDT
Fili says:
Thanks for the response. I was asking because the Gospel of Peter is one of my favorites and would've loved to see it in front of me.
Thanks for the informative reply.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Other Bible forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  May 16, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Other Bible
The Other Bible by Willis Barnstone (Paperback - September 20, 2005)
4.4 out of 5 stars (73)