Where's the warranty info on this Nikon 18-200mm lens? I plan to buy this lens from Amazon but can't find the product warranty info anywhere. I want to avoid the hassle of getting a grey market copy. I understand that the usual Nikon USA warranty is 5 years for lens. Who can I contact in Amazon? Where's the info? Appreciate the read and help.

Steve
asked by S. Yuen on December 4, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
votes
I talked to Amazon and the Rep was friendly but not knowledgeable (which, is somewhat understandable considering the insane number of products they stock). He said to call Nikon to confirm. So I called Nikon. Nikon says that Amazon is their only authorized dealer that does not have a brick and mortar store front. He said all purchases from Amazon (not through a 3rd party on Amazon) come with a full U.S. warranty. Call Nikon USA yourself is you want at 1-800-645-6689.
J. Kirkland answered on January 2, 2008

A
votes
I recently bought this lens from Amazon (received last Friday). On the box it is clearly indicated that the warranty is 1+4. Also, there is a warranty card inside the package. I think Amazon sales the US version of it. It is sold out at this moment, I think this doesn't contribute too much now. I haven't actually registered the lens as I am considering change it to a constant aperture lens with smaller zoom (non Nikon brand).
Lazy Cat answered on January 7, 2008

A
votes
I bought my own 18-200mm somewhere else. So I don't know what Amazon will send, but here are some things you should find if it is a U.S. lens.
There is the serial number itself. This is hard to see without a magnifier and the light hitting it the right way. It is on the underside of the lens barrel between the focusing and zoom rings. It is closer to the focusing ring than the zoom ring. It should begin with "US". If not, it is grey market.
The papers inside the Nikon box should include a set of forms 4 X 6 inches. The top is white and says "Nikon" in big black letters. Top left corner has serial number (without the US) and "AF-S DX VR 18-200/3.5-5.6G ED". Below the big "Nikon" is "IMPORTANT NOTICE: YOU MUST PRESENT THE ATTACHED WARRANTY FORM (PART 1) TOGETHER WITH PROOF-OF-PURCHASE DATE TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE." Attached is Nikon Part 1 (white) and Nikon Part 2 (yellow). The back of the yellow part 2 has a worldwide list of Nikon Service Facilities.
There should also be a glossy envelope with pictures of lenses on it. It says "5 YEARS OF PROTECTION for NikkorAF/IX Lenses". In lower left it says "Please note: You must register this ESC with Nikon Inc. within 10 days of your retail purchase. See inside for deails." There is a card inside with attached form. If you are confident within 10 days that you want to keep the lens, you fill in the form, which puts a carbon copy on the card. Mail the card and keep the thin paper form. If you do this you will end whatever store returnability might otherwise exist (usually 30 days for Amazon). If you take longer than 10 days to decide whether to keep the lens under the store-return policy, you should still have the 1 year Nikon warranty, but you will have lost the "4 years extended service coverage".

The Amazon receipt in your package should show what day the order was processed. However, it is a good idea to look up the shipping data online to print a copy that confirms your delivery date.

I did buy a 28mm f2.8D lens from Amazon. That lens had all the U.S. stuff.
M. J. Grumet answered on March 27, 2008

A
votes
This is a link from the nikonusa.com website that gives a pdf file listing all authorized dealers for Nikon as of 24 Aug. 2009 and AMAZON.COM IS on the list: http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/Authorized_Dealers/Nikon_AuthDealers.pdf
GSM answered on August 31, 2009

A
votes
Here is what NikonUsa told me to do regarding this. I took their advice and it works.

Type search engine NIKONUSA and select "Where to Buy". It will ask you to type in the Zip Code of the place(s) you plan to buy the lens. Hit enter and NikonUsa will bring up a list of NIKONUSA stores. Go the store website and you should immediately see the NikonUsa logo. When you contact the store ask for verification. It is that simple. It is that easy.

Here is NikonUsa's number for digital technical support 800 645 6689. Call them and they will tell you the same thing. That is how I found out.

If you do this you can be confident that you will NOT get a grey market Nikon or get ripped off by a scammer.

Enjoy!
Robert L. King Jr. answered on March 29, 2008

A
votes
You don't need to worry about the 10 days. See this post.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16192
B. Humphrey answered on February 24, 2009

A
votes
I tried to get Amazon to commit to which warranty. I contacted customer service by phone and e-mail. I asked them if this lens was Gray Market, 1 year warranty out of country Service, or 5 year Nikon U.S.A. Warranty, but they were vague and did not really answer my inquiries. I got the run arround! This is no great deal if it is Gray Market Lens.
Steven A. Fischer answered on December 31, 2007

A
votes
I'm in the same situation. My instinct tells me it's a gray market lens, which is probably why they're not showing any warranty information. So, beware. It's a complex lens with sensors and electronics. If something goes wrong, Nikon won't touch it.
Barry Shea answered on December 15, 2007

A
votes
This lens is sold out through Amazon; however, it is currently being offered for $679 USD through Ritz Camera. So, if your inquiry is regarding purchasing it through Ritz Camera, they have several stores in the U.S. West Coast. It's my understanding that they are affiliated with Wolf Camera which is predominantly in the Midwest or East Coast. Both Ritz and Wolf are authorized brick and mortar Nikon dealers and do not sell grey stuff.

I lived both in the West Coast and Midwest, but please don't take my word for it. Feel free to conduct your research on both...
Average Joe answered on January 14, 2008

A
votes
Read answ. #333 in nikon knowledge base on the nikon usa site:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=333
Valentin M. Logvinenko answered on January 8, 2008
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›