5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection
Published on September 16, 2010 by Mary Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Whimsical Book
This book has gorgeous, fantasy-like illustrations of a child playing with, and riding animals, that wouldnt be possible in real life. The words are eloquent, and when I read it to my 3 year old son, Im sure most of what it is saying is lost on him. My 5 year old son cannot sit still for this book. However, this is a gorgeous book to hand down to your children, and as...
Published 22 months ago by Xavions Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, September 16, 2010
Mary Kate (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
Nancy Tillman's wonderful On the Night You Were Born is one of my very favorite books. Its celebration of the uniqueness of each and every child told in lyrical language [For never before in story or rhyme (not even once upon a time) has the world ever known a you, my friend, and it never will, not ever again...] make it the gift I choose most often for expectant or adoptive parents. I also read it regularly with my grandchildren and talk with them about how special they are.

Tillman feels that the most important message for children to receive is simply, "You are loved." And it's that message that is the focus of this, her newest book, Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You. Once again, it is her turn of phrase that most captivates me: In the green of the grass...in the smell of the sea...in the clouds floating by...at the top of a tree...in the sound crickets make at the end of the day... "You are loved. You are loved. You are loved," they all say./// Phrases encourage children to grow, to try new things, to "march to the front" of their "own parade" and assures them that, no matter how far they go or what they do, they will be loved.

Though the words alone would convince me to buy, share and recommend this book, Tillman is also a gifted artist and her lovely work makes this book a visual treasure as well. Through the pages, a child (vaguely male, but one could possibly be persuaded that it is female) rides hippos, splashes in the surf with elephants, plays hide and seek with rabbits, shares a trampoline with a kangaroo and enjoys some quiet time with a pair of pandas. My favorite drawing has the child walking away along a wide path that runs between trees shrouded in mist. In all of the drawings, swirls of sparkling lights wrap around the child - the love that will always be with him/her. (For those who might be interested, some of Tillman's artwork from previous books is available via a link that can be found on her website. Just Google her.)

I've read On the Night You Were Born dozens of times and with every single reading, I am incredibly touched, moved by Tillman's words. Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You creates the same feeling of wonder, peace and happiness in me. It's a keep-forever book and I'm so happy to have it in my collection to share with the children I love most.

Very highly recommended, both for personal collections and for gift-giving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming book with a heartfelt message for your kids!, November 23, 2010
montyinfl (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
I saw this book at a school bookfair and fell in love with it. It it so simple, but the message is so important - "Wherever you are my love will find you". I bought it for my 8 yr old son and he thought it was ok the first time I read it. I was going to send it to a friend who has advanced cancer and 3 school aged children, and, to my surprise, my son asked me to buy another copy for them so he could keep the copy we had. I realized that he had gotten the message of the book and liked it, despite being a "cool" 8 yr old. I did send a copy to my friend and she reads it to her kids all the time to remind them that one day she might not be with them on this earth, but she will always be with them in their hearts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Memories, February 13, 2011
I lost my son in July of 2010 and he left behind three young daughters. I found this book and I knew it would be perfect for them. I told them that this is what their Dad would say if he could. I also bought a copy for myself. It was perfect. I gave a copy to my other grandchildren from me so they would know that I would always be near them and love them forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful words.... beautiful pictures: Both Child/Adult will LOVE this book, October 22, 2010
Kate Chan "Kate" (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
I didn't much care for Nancy Tillman's other books... so I am happy I didn't connect the dots with her name when I picked this one out.

This book shares through magical pictures (again - not even the style of children's lit pictures that I usually like!) and wonderful words the rue story of parenting: Loving Your Child THROUGH and THROUGH. My two year old requests this book every night for reading and every night we find new things in the pictures to talk about and new words to say together. She listens CAREFULLY to the vows made while reading aloud to ALWAYS LOVE and send my love with her wherever she may go. It's beautiful.

I HIGHLY recommend this book for both adoptive and biological families. (We are both.) The story begins with the solemn statement: "I wanted you more than you will ever know" - something that couldn't be more true for both of our daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars So comforting for my 4 year old, January 31, 2011
I purchased a few dozen books while my husband was dying. This book has been the most meaningful, helpful, reassuring and beautiful book I have found. Really truly amazing. My four year old son adores this book. The pictures are stunning, the words are touching and feel like you are being wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket when you read this book. Applicable for so many situations and extremely helpful for children who have lost parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, October 18, 2010
I read this book to my grandson. My daughter died this year and since my grandson is not quite two yet, we don't ever want him to forget his mama. I told him that his mama wanted me to read this book to him and he can't get enough of it. I love her illustrations and the way she ends each book with "You are loved". I highly recommend this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever..., November 9, 2010
This is the nicest book about a parent's love that I have ever seen. I bought one for each of my adult children so they can share it with their children, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moved by Tillman's magic, December 29, 2010
My son received this book for Christmas, and we read it together that night. It was the first Christmas without my dad, who passed away suddenly this summer. The poetry on the pages truly takes your breath away... "And if someday you're lonely, or someday you're sad, or you strike out at baseball, or think you've been bad... just lift up your face, feel the wind in your hair. That's me, my sweet baby, my love is right there."... my dad always said he would find us in the wind. Somehow Tillman has managed to capture the pure magic of love in all of her books, and this one is no exception. The beautiful words roll off your tongue, and the symbolic portrayal of love as playful animals and fairy dust perfectly illustrates this unique and important message to children. All of Tillman's books have brought me to tears, and this one specifically was a special experience, especially when I flipped to the last page and read the dedication to her dad, whose love finds her wherever she goes. The words moved me in such a powerful way, and I truly felt in that moment that the book had been written especially for me to read on that first Christmas without him. And the astounding thing about Tillman is that she makes everyone who reads her books feel that exact same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the favs at a baby shower, October 19, 2010
I recently purchased this book as a baby shower gift for an couple expecting twins. The mother-to-be had requested books rather than traditional baby gifts. Among more than 20 books, this book was one of the favorites at that shower. The beautiful thought it conveys regarding the all-pervasive presence and impact of the love of one's parents (and others in a child's life who love them) is a potent and meaningful message that truly is the most profound gift we could wish for any child. As well as the lovely sentiment, the unique illustrations portray a world full of friendly animals and gorgeous scenery and faraway places that are sure to engage any child, regardless of age. I would recommend this book to anyone, child or adult. Who doesn't want to have Love be always there, no matter where? It is a feel good book any one can appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Favorite, October 30, 2010
This book was purchased for my daughter as a birthday gift unfortunately she saw it when I opened the package containing other things and was so excited. We own 2 others of her books and they are all hits with her we read them almost every night. They have beautiful pictures and are wonderfully written. Again good for any child adopted or not.

Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You
Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman (Board book - October 30, 2012)
$7.99 $7.15