Customer Discussions > Playstation 3 80gb forum

Which PS3 is backwards compatible???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2008 4:58:21 PM PST
I want to be able to play Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, and the new Chain of Memories, along with other PS2 games like the Final Fantasy ones.
Which version of PS3 is backwards compatible with the PS2 or both PS2 AND PS1 systems?
If you have a link to the selling page (Amazon or otherwise) that'd be really great!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 5:05:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2008 5:06:43 AM PST
Eric H says:
All PS3's are PS1 backwards compatible. The last PS3 that has hardware PS2 backwards compatibility is the 60GB NTSC (north america) version. Gamestop has refurbished ones here http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64006 for $429.99...
I contemplated this, but since I had a -$150 credit deal on the brand new 80GB PS3, it wasn't worth paying $180 more for a refurb with a smaller HDD just to not have to keep my PS2 in my entertainment center.

However, if your situation is different (no -$150 credit deal and no PS2), this might be a more attractive option. Used PS2's are still holding their value pretty well at $60-$70, so if it's a situation of paying $30 more for backwards compatibility it might be worth it. (Also a 2nd system won't be taking up space with wired controllers, and taking up ports on your TV or AV receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 11:47:43 PM PST
R. Carr says:
What Eric says isn't exactly correct. See this chart for more information on backwards compatibility:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

Unfortunately, there are no PS3s manufactured right now that are backwards compat ... so you might have to search around for one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 3:30:38 PM PST
Deepak Oprah says:
Eileen, you still can get new PS3s that play PS2 games, but it is somewhat difficult. The MGS4 80GB bundle is still available new at Amazon at certain times of the day for $500. You just have to be lucky when you check. Usually I see it offered in the early hours of the morning or sometime midway through the day, it varies. Just keep checking this link every once in awhile:
PlayStation 3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Bundle

Good luck finding one!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 12:37:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2008 12:40:58 PM PST
Eric H says:
The Wiki PS3 compatibility chart that R carr links looks like it lists the 40GB Gunmetal Gray MGS4 system (no PS2 backwards compatibility), but not the 80GB MGS4 one.... I suspect it might be the 2007 80GB system that kept software PS2 backwards-compatibility, which apparently plays a good number, but not all PS2 games without glitches. (Not worth the premium of $600+ dollars IMO). Unless you can confirm otherwise, I'd stick with the 60GB refurbs that have *hardware* backwards compatibility, which plays all but a handful of PS2 games without problems.

Ahh, at times like this I miss the simple days where a console pretty much stayed the same hardware throughout the course of its lifespan (and if it changed, it got BETTER not worse!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 12:44:29 PM PST
R. Carr says:
Eric ... agreed about sony cutting features. I understand they need to cut costs, but is it worth the frustration of your customers? If I didn't already own a PS3 (an original 60GB thankfully) I seriously doubt I would pick one up with their tactics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 12:58:05 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 1:05:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2008 1:07:40 PM PST
R. Carr says:
R Jackson -- I respectfully disagree. I never owned a PS2 so I've played through many PS2 games and continue to do so. I've also used my memory card slots which are no longer available. I've also used more than 2 USB slots at a time, but there are only 2 now. I've even used the PS3 as a SACD player, which is also no longer available.

As I said, I'm disgusted with all the cuts sony has made to the PS3, but at the same time I'm not an unhappy PS3 owner, I enjoy mine just fine. I just hope it never dies, as I wouldn't replace it with one of these new stripped down versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 12:58:25 PM PST
Deepak Oprah says:
Way to make it confusing for the original poster. The original 20GB and 60 GB models have close to 100% backward compatibility and the old 80GB PS3 including the Motorstorm and MGS4 bundles have 80% backward compatibility (I just received one in the mail brand new and tested it).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 11:40:03 AM PST
Eric H says:
Heh, I think if anyone's to blame for making things confusing it's Sony! In my opinion, "80% backwards compatibility" while certainly nicer than zero backwards compatibility, is a much less appealing choice when the 60 GB ones with the near-100% hardware are also available (especially if you are are likely going to get either as a refurb). If a PS2 game you really want to play falls into that 20%, you are SOL. If you can go title-by-title and confirm that every game you own/plan to own falls into the 80%, then by all means... but I know I personally can't predict what retro games I might want to pick up a few years from now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 6:42:02 PM PST
T. Gamble says:
To make it simple if your Ps3 has 4 usb ports it's backwards compatible.

If it only has 2 it's not.

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 12:04:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2009 12:11:25 AM PST
Giggles says:
Okay I hafta ask just to clarify I am reading right.... the newest models of PS3's are backwards compatible with the PS1 games but not PS2 games? I looked on Sony's website and from what I read it sounded like the PS3's only play games made for this particular system. I could care less about playing the three PS2 titles I own but I do want to be able to play my PS1 titles. This whole thing is just confusing to me. I'd prefer to have a PS3 that plays ANY title whether it's PS1, 2 or 3 but I'll settle for one that plays 1 & 3 titles just because of the fact that this system is capable of playing Blu-Ray discs.
*edit* Okay, now I'm even more confused but after reading all the posts again I am guessing that I'm correct in assuming that if I buy a brand spanking new PS3 it WILL NOT be backwards compatible? If that's the case, I'm just going to save myself a couple hundred bucks and buy a plain a** Blu-Ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2009 9:11:17 AM PST
R. Carr says:
Hi Giggles ... your initial assumption was mostly correct. All PS3s will play PS1 games. The newer PS3s will *not* play PS2 games. The easiest way to tell is to count the number of USB ports. If it has 4 USB ports it will play PS2 games, if it only has 2 then it will not. Again, here's the table with more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 11:49:20 PM PST
Retroplore says:
I think that I read that these Playstation 3 consoles are backwards compatible with all PS1, PS2, AND PS3 games:

1. PlayStation 3 (20GB)

2. PlayStation 3 60GB System
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Playstation 3 80gb forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions