Which Version of PSP is the best??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2009 9:43:50 PM PDT
B. Barber says:
I am new to these and looking for my son one for Christmas. I see there is a 1000, 2000, and a 3000?? Any help with these would be great! Thank you!

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 10:34:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2009 10:36:12 PM PDT
Niloc0 says:
All 3 models are very similar - from a functionality standpoint they're the same, they all do the same things, play the same games, same features, etc.

The 1000 is no longer made so you can't get it new, it's also heavier than the newer ones. It also has less onboard storage than the 2000 & 3000. I'd rule this model out. The only feature it had that the newer ones don't is an infra-red (IRDA) port, but that wasn't used for much.

The 2000 is lighter, some of them have had dead pixels. It's no longer made but can still be purchased new.

The 3000 is about the same as the 2000, but has fewer dead pixels - instead it has scanline issues. The screen is brigher too. Both the 2000 & 3000 have double the onboard memory of the 1000. You can read about the differences in more detail here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

Then there's the recently released PSP Go - it's got a different form factor (smaller, with a slide-out screen), adds bluetooth costs $80 more, has a lot more onboard memory but does away with the UMD drive, so you've got to download all the games.

I'd go with either the 2000 or 3000 so you have the option of buying used games or renting them. Either the 2000 or 3000 should be fine, the 2000 might not be available new too much longer though. Eventually Sony may phase out the 3000 in favor of the Go as well, they claim that the Go isn't a replacement and both models will continue to be sold but video game companies always say that - even Nintendo did with the NES when the SNES came out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation Portable 2000 System - Piano Black
PlayStation Portable 2000 System - Piano Black by Sony (Sony PSP)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (220)