Customer Discussions > The Host: A Novel forum

Which is better: The Host or Twilight?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2008 11:37:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2008 8:55:59 PM PDT
I just curious to see, from people who have read both novels, which one they prefered, and why. This discussion may have been done before, but I can't find it, so....

Personally I have to say I liked The Host a lot more, because I thought it was more unique and had better developped characters. It had more of a purpose behind it and a more meaningful plot. Also, Wanderer seemed less irritating than Bella to me. Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 1:23:26 PM PDT
Mediator says:
i think the host is a better novel. its more in depth and has most of a plot line. the twilight series is a very easy read book, but words like "she/he was dazzling" on every page kind of what make it more of a childish book. i guess its a good book for young teens, but the host definetly seems like a book for older people.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 9:43:28 AM PDT
KT says:
twilight is way better. you just cant beat it... except hp. however the host was still amazing

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008 7:45:43 AM PDT
Twin #2 says:
I loved Twilight but the Host really is a whole different category. My only problem with it is that there's talk of sequels and I think it work well as a stand-alone novel. Same as with the Twilight series, I will read the sequels, but the original will always be my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 1:49:12 PM PDT
T. A. Adams says:
The Host by far. I didn't care for Twilight and had no interest in reading any further in the series. I suppose it had a lot to do with the fact that I don't really care for romance novels. I like a story to have more of a plot than "girl meets boy," "girl gets boy," "girl loses boy" "happy ever after." I like a good interesting plot with a little romance thrown in.

The Host was an extremely interesting read (I read the entire book within a 24-hour period - not much sleep obviously). I liked the characters and the look at humanity (which the Souls had much more of than the humans). The love stories were interesting without completely overshadowing the plot. The writing was a lot better (I had several eye-rolling moments while reading Twilight). The vampire storyline was interesting, but the romance was weak.

I know I am in the minority since every female in my world seems to be a Twilight fan. I like a man in a novel that I feel like I could love, not just one who could love me. Edward never gave me that feeling (it would be like hugging a popsicle), and Jared certainly didn't. But Ian is a man I could fall in love with.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 1:59:30 PM PDT
Mediator says:
same here....i was never in love with Edward and Jake was still a 15 year old kid who is just 7 feet tall. Ian was who i was in love with. no matter how much i like him, i dont want SM to write sequels that might ruin his character like she did with edward (she made him too weak by breaking dawn). if, however, she writes about other characters and their struggles through the "soul world" it might be interesting to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 3:25:51 PM PDT
lisa castro says:
Each book has to be read with the intended audience in mind. Twilight was meant to be read by teenagers and is well written for that mind set. The Host is an adult novel written with that audience in mind. I have read both books and series. I loved Twilight and encouraged my 15 year old daughter to read it. She fell in love with the story. On the other hand she want no part of the Host. I can totally relate to her they are apples and oranges. I loved them both for what the brought to the table. My favorite was Twilight because I love vampire stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 12:53:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 12:54:18 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
I think the host is written better- yeah, the characters were definitely more interesting and deep. However, i always say there's something very magical about twilight that just made it better; everyone i know who has read it loses sleep over it and loves it. It may not be the most complex and enriching story but there's something special about a book that can reach the level of popularity that twilight did...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 8:05:11 AM PDT
Another Jenn says:
I definitely preferred Twilight. There's something magic about that book, it's hard to explain. I'm far from a teenager and I don't swoon for anybody, so it's not that.

The Host was fine, but it was slow. It's supposed to be a love story, but I didn't feel it. Granted, Twilight is slow going, too, but it's a heck of a lot more interesting. I think it's probably the way SM writes and the nature of both books. Twilight is set in a world we're familiar with while she has to explain everything in The Host. It takes her so long to explain what's going on and the story isn't that compelling--it's hard to keep going. When my husband read the Host (he enjoyed the Twilight series, too), he kept on having to ask questions about character motivations and plot. My husband is not stupid, either.

Whether the books are well-written or not, an adult books or young adult fiction, I don't think it matters. The Host is not great and I'll probably never read it again. Twilight, on the other hand, I've read at least seven times and I'll probably keep rereading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 8:56:52 AM PDT
They are both good, but I definitely liked The Host better. The Twilight series was definitely a young adult novel and I like the more adult tones in The Host. I generally like Stephenie Meyers books though. I read the Twilight Series first. When I started the first novel, "Twilight", I had the mindset that I probably wouldn't like it, but by the mid-point of the book I was completely sucked in. I read the rest of the series in a week (it was summer and college hadn't started back up yet) and then was like, "now what?". So I read The Host and it was way more compelling and thought provoking to me. There were a lot of tough things in that book. I wouldn't mind a sequel as long as it didn't go much further than that. This book is definitely on my "re-read" list!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 10:44:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 11:34:53 AM PDT
J. luna says:
I profoundly enjoyed both Meyers books, but as an adult i felt a deeper attachment to the Host characters. Unlike Twilight, the feelings of love and the actions displayed in the Host were human and realistic, as is the love two adults have for each other. And rather the heroin obsessing over one man (as did bella with edward and edward with bella) her love circulates and effects other amazing characters in the book (Jamie, Ian, Walter, etc...). Last but not least the plot was fantastic, intense and emotional, i cried about 5 times throughout this novel.

I do agree with Lisa Castro's post, Twilight was writing for teens to relate with, the Host for the adults mind set.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008 7:26:13 PM PDT
Twilight was sort of... just ugh. Too gooey. Dont get me wrong! They're interesting and all, but I hate what Stephine did to Edward's character. He was cool enough in the first book, but by book 4, he was just like "Yeah, Bella, I love you and would do any insane thing you asked for(which includes letting you name our first and only child Renesmee, which is a suckish name, no offense to Stephine or Renesmee fans)". And now people are actually starting to say, "You know, Renesmee isnt that bad of a name. It's kinda cute, actually. I think I'll name my child Renesmee too!".

God. You've gotta wonder what Renesmee and Jacob's future kid is going to be called.

Bellard, probably.

Needless to say, I liked The Host better. Way creative. Makes you wonder what's out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008 10:33:54 PM PDT
Another Jenn says:
So I had to answer your post even though it's totally off topic but I couldn't stop laughing about the possibility of "Bellard". That's the first time I've heard of that one and even though it makes my skin crawl at the possibility, the thought of it is absolutely hilarious! Unfortunately, after BD, I wouldn't put it past SM in any subsequent "Jacob and Renesmee" stories. (Shudder)

Do you think anyone would actually name their child Renesmee? Of course, people can be idiots and I've heard of worse. My personal favorite is the woman who heard a word during her delivery and liked the way it sounded, so she named her son Meconium. (if you're not sure what it means, look it up, it's disgusting)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 5:49:42 PM PDT
S. Migdal says:
DEFINITELY the Host. The Host is so much deeper, so much more gripping... I agree with you on Wanda being less irritating than Bella - it felt nice not to hear about how dazzling and perfect and amazing and gorgeous Edward Cullen is for a change. Twilight is somewhat of a guilty pleasure that you only read because of the buzz, and the teenage angst is just strewn all over every page, and the Host is deep and intriguing and moving. I hope the sequel won't ruin everything, though... Meyer has a history of screwing stories up by going too far, though I hope she learned her lesson from the Breaking Dawn fiasco. It seemed like her sheer skill has improved greatly since 'As the Vampire Sparkles', so maybe we have nothing to worry about.
Sorry about babbling.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 7:35:19 PM PDT
I liked "The Host" better as stand alone novel, but I enjoyed the Twilight series more as a whole. (I know that's not quite what you asked.....)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 1:09:38 PM PDT
I liked the Host way way better. Sure, Twilight is a really good series...but it's not even on my top anymore. Well...Breaking Dawn is for sure. It's (in my opinion) the best in the series. But The Host was so much more interesting...and just captivating. Not once was I bored, even with it's length...and I had more passion with it. Like...I was sitting on the edge of my seat willing certain things to happen.
But personally...Wanda annoyed the crap out of me. I loved Mel. I hate people who are always trying to please others...I felt like throught the whole book Wanda was just an annoyance. But other then that, the Host for sure.
But none of them beat The Hunger Games, which is by far the most amazing book I've read in my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 11:27:20 AM PDT
astrid says:
while i think twilight sucked you in and keep you captive, simply because the charactors were so desireable, i think the host had better writing. i liked them both but the host had way more dept in it's story . i liked the root for the bad guy thing. i loved wanderer. just loved her. i was good to see staphenie stretch her talented wings and give us a different kind of story. i hope she will give us something else soon. perhaps midnight sun?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 7:22:16 AM PDT
J. Ryke says:
I loved Twilight. But I loved The Host even more. I have to admit though it took me longer to get into The Host than it did with the Twilight saga. The beginning was just kind of confusing. But after a 100 pages or so everything made sense. Ahh so good.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 7:26:42 AM PDT
J. Ryke says:
ew. haha. I looked up what Meconium meant. Wth was this lady thinking!?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 1:38:29 PM PDT
Uhh yeah the twilight saga is soooooooooooo much better than host which was a good book dont get me wrong but in no way was it even close to how good that saga is

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2008 4:50:24 PM PDT
Wandian. That's twice as hilarious as Bellard.

LOL.

As to the OP, The Host definitely. It's deep. It can make me weep. I like my novels to be moving :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 4:52:42 PM PDT
A customer says:
I have to say that if I would have never read the Twilight series, The Host would be my favorite book. But since I am a hopeless romantic I have to say that Twilight has won me over. With both novels, SM really transports you into another world like you're there, she truly has a gift. I enjoyed The Host because it was just so different from anything I've read in a long time and the characters are all so complex and different. But again I would have to say my heart belongs to Twilight. I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that Stephenie makes you feel in love with Edward and you just want more.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 4:55:05 PM PDT
A customer says:
P. Holzknecht, I don't agree with you but you are hilarious! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2008 3:53:19 PM PST
Seals says:
Okay i'm 16 nd i have heara lot of people say "the Host for the adults mind set". and really it may be true but is 4 teen set 2. cuz i read the Host and i loved it. and i can say that i like the Host better then Twilight (wich by the way i think Breakibg dawn is the best book by far. idk why people say it sucked). and i agree with sum of yall that the character were more real. And yes i did fall in love with Ian and i think he will always be in my heart and wish i could find sumone like him (lol) with does gorgeous eyes of his . =D

Well yup I love THE HOST BETTER!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 10:37:08 AM PST
Erinn says:
I personally found The Host to be far superior a novel to any of the Twilight series. Although I was only 15 when I first read Twilight I found Bella to very annoying and irritating in her stupidity. I did really like the Twilight series despite the lack of an interesting main character but Breaking Dawn really ruined the series for me. I say The Host is superior because it has, what I believe to be, more mature characters and it explores our humanity and what it means to be human. It has something that I think everyone can really appreciate and the sincerity of the characters really shone through, where as I wasn't so sure what the characters in Twilight's true intentions really were.

As for whether or not The Host is more suited to an older crowd, I believe that age is just a number, it is the person who determines how old they are.

And btw P. Holzknecht, Bellard is classic, I will have to remember it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Host: A Novel forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Host
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (5,573)