Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Super Mario Galaxy 2 forum

Which is easiest, SMG or SMG2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2011 5:25:02 AM PST
I am a beginner/casual player on the Wii. I found Super Mario Bros to be way to difficult and frustrating for me. I was looking at the Super Mario Galaxy games and was wondering if one is easier than the other. If a novice player can play it without getting so frustrated. I have Kirby's Epic Yarn and it is so easy. Any suggestions. Thanks

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 8:00:40 AM PST
It's a tough call. I think SMG2 is a bit more difficult overall than SMG1 (at least, it is tougher to get all 242 stars). However, SMG2 has a few things going in its favor that would make me recommend it over SMG1 to casual gamers.

First, SMG2 has the "Super Guide" that will play through any level you get stuck on. SMG1 does not. That is a *huge* benefit for casual gamers who are looking to simply enjoy playing through the game. If a particular level is getting too frustrating, you can simply activate the guide and move on with the game (and your life!).

Second, the world map layout for SMG2 is much more straight forward and easier to navigate than SMG1. The overworld for SMG1 is quite expansive with many different rooms. There is a lot of running around and backtracking trying to remember which galaxy was in which room. The overworld for SMG2, on the other hand, is much more compact, and going to a level simply involves stepping on the same platform every time and then scrolling through the levels. It's much quicker and easier to find the level you are looking for.

Third, the levels have checkpoint flags (as are found in New Super Mario Bros Wii) which makes it easier to gauge your progress as you play through a level. This is more of a minor point, but I really appreciate it.

Fourth, the galaxies (i.e. "worlds" or "levels") themselves seem more straight forward in SMG2. In SMG1, there are some galaxies where you are looking for 7 stars in the same galaxy and others where you're looking for only 1. In SMG2, most all galaxies have only 3 stars in them. For me, this improved the pacing of the game as I wasn't spending so much time all in one galaxy.

I think the SMG games are 2 of the finest games for the Wii and you really can't go wrong with either, but I would recommend SMG2 over SMG1.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 2:24:25 PM PST
Yes I would recomend smg2 for the same reasons

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:04:51 PM PST
katax says:
i would recommend new super mario bros ds, then the 64 version ds.
galaxi 1 is easier than the sequel in some areas to be honest.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2 by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.7 out of 5 stars (689)