Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Super Mario 64 DS forum

Which one is better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2009 6:51:10 PM PST
Chris B. says:
For someone who has not played Super Mario 64, should I start with the regular Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console or play Super Mario 64 DS?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2009 11:20:28 AM PST
C. Schultz says:
I say go for the DS version, for various reasons.

1) I didn't particularly like SM64 when it came out; the controls and camera didn't feel quite right. Yet on the DS I actually found the game easier to play without an analog stick. This is a fairly debatable point, however.

2) There is other stuff to do on the DS version. True, it's just some simple mini-games, but the majority of them are a ton of fun and it's a nice little addition to the game.

3) If you don't like it, you can always sell it. Not so with a VC title.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 1:49:40 PM PDT
On the Virtual Console.

You see, the Virtual Console version is only 10 bucks, and while the DS version does contain minigames and extra levels, the original has analog, which makes Mario easier to control.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 8:29:34 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
I love the portability of the DS ... & prefer having physical copies of a game. have not tried it on the VC though, so can't say if control features are better. I find the DS version quite easy to manage .... great game either way !

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 8:49:38 PM PDT
Sarah says:
The DS version is better but the original is a lot of fun too, and significantly cheaper. If you want to save money and have a lot of fun, buy the virtual console version, but if you have extra money to spare and want lots of fun + awesome new graphics and features + and portability, then I seriously suggest getting the DS version. I have both versions because I bought it on the virtual console first (but I need a new ds card of this game cuz mine wore plumb out!), so this is the voice of experience telling you that the remake is a lot like the first just ten times more awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 8:56:00 AM PST
I just purchased the super mario 64. I have the nintendo ds lite. I am not able to get the wing cap for Mario. The guide says that I need to push the "C" button when Mario steps into the light. My system doesn't have a "C" button. I love the game, but not sure if I have the right system to play it. (The book talks about an analog stick-not sure what that is). I would appreciate any help can give me. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 11:04:36 AM PDT
You bought the wrong guide, you bought the Nintendo 64 version's guide not the DS's version

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 4:01:18 PM PDT
1.Analog stick=A control stick like on a Playstation 2/xbox controller.
2.The DS does not have a
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Super Mario 64 DS forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions