Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games

Which recipe to try first?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2009 12:20:51 PM PST
Brian Zino says:
I recently got this book from the library, and while it looks promising I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of different recipes. For those who own it: what do you think would be a good first recipe(s) for someone new to vegan cooking/eating to try?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2009 8:35:22 PM PDT
C. Young says:
The banana bread and the pancakes are great. My family loved the bread, and the pancakes, even though crepe-like, had a wonderful flavor.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 5:20:49 AM PDT
Jeshua says:
I love Chickpea Cutlets to death I'd buy this book just for that recipe.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 11:41:27 AM PDT
I also love the Chickpea Cutlets (I bake instead of fry them, though admittedly, they can be a little dry if you don't fry them). The biscotti are fantastic, too! But my absolute favorite recipe here is the Leek & Bean Cassoulet. It's amazing! I do add some unsweetened soymilk in addition to the broth to make it creamier (more pot pie-like), and I use more veggies than the recipe calls for. But it is delicious! Total comfort food!

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 1:22:36 PM PDT
Gina Babin says:
Snobby Joes and Pasta Della California are my favorites!

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 4:27:46 PM PDT
Helen says:
The almond basil cilantro pesto is AMAZING!

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 8:51:25 AM PDT
D. Burton says:
the "lower-fat deep chocolate bundt cake" is SO SO good served with a glass of ice cold almond milk. There's nothing about it that tastes low fat. I just made it for my husband's birthday cake. It's worth buying a Bundt pan for! (I do find that I have to cook it for the longer recommended time). We liked the coconut lemon bundt cake, but found it slightly heavy (though we still ate the whole thing!) The wheat-free chocolate chip cookies are yummy and "oat-y" (we made our own oat flour as described.) The penne Vodka is so creamy and good and surprisingly doesn't taste like almonds. I use an immersion blender and it's so easy - I'm always looking for easy that everyone likes.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 2:25:16 PM PDT
Pound Cake with Rosewater.

Posted on Aug 9, 2009 8:29:28 PM PDT
L. Caldwell says:
The banana walnut waffles are wonderful! They freeze well too.

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 10:18:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 13, 2009 10:19:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 6:47:39 PM PDT
V. Sims says:
Although I have not tried all of the recipes previously mentioned, the chickpea cutlets are excellent. What sold me on the cookbook, however, were the black bean burgers and the Asian Pears with Wasabi Dressing--delightful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 3:56:05 PM PDT
S. Hood says:
This is a fabulous cookbook, by far my favorite. The potato and kale enchiladas are worth every minute of time they take. The Spaghetti and bean balls are good. I like the chickpea cutlets better baked than fried (don't like the grease). The sauteed collards are amazing. The vegetables in mole sauce are wonderful. The leek and bean cassoulet is good, chickpea noodle soup is good. I finally found a way to use the french lentils I had with the french lentil soup with tarragon and thyme (there were no leftovers). The baja style grilled tempeh tacos are to die for. My copy has dried food particles and tattered edges. Just pick a recipe and go for it. This is the book I reach for when I want a no fail dinner - did I mention that the braised seitan with brussels, kale and sun dried tomatoes over broccoli polenta is a simply elegant dish? My die hard meat eating husband looks forward to meals cooked from this book!

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 7:01:39 PM PDT
Kristy978 says:
The "Sheperdess" Pie was awesome, ESPECIALLY after 2 days in the fridge. I couldn't stop eating the leftovers. The Lemony garlic potatoes were incredible! A hit with the "omnis", too!

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 2:07:08 PM PST
denilea says:
I loved the chickpea cutlets! I think I'll add a little more liquid next time. This was my first time using vital wheat gluten (which you'll find in a lot of vegan recipes) and I'll definitly try the seitan next.
I found Bob's Red Mill wheat gluten, and all their other packaged flours and grains, at Marc's discount store for much less than at a health store, if that helps.
Loved the pineapple cashew quinoa and cashew ricotta.
This is definitly a cookbook to read, a lot of good info on using ingrediants you might not be familiar with. I first got it from the library as a new veg, and thought it was intimidating, 7 months later I'm buying it.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 12:22:54 PM PST
Lentil Salad is a staple in my house. I make 2 to 3 batches and eat it all week.
Walnut pate is bomb.

I tend to up the spices to my tastes... a couple of the dishes from the V-con seemed disappointing until I added a little more of what they called for. I highly reccomend that any nay-sayers out there try getting a little more heavy-handed and see what they think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 4:23:18 PM PDT
Samantha Rae says:
The Baja tacos are AMAZING!! OMG :-) Also, the quinoa black bean/mango salad.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 23, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about