Which should I order--fullscreen or widescreen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 3:01:55 PM PST
Valentine says:
I want to order Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory dvd (original with Gene Wilder), and I'm confused as to which format I should buy. Widescreen is supposed to be truer to the original movie format, right? But several reviewers of this movie said that their widescreen version was nothing more than fullscreen with the tops cut off. I would appreciate opinions from those who have one or the other formats of this movie. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 12:35:02 PM PST
Mark says:
Fullscreen is 4x3 or 1:1.33 (old standard). New televisions are mostly widescreen 16x9 or 1:1.5 This movie version is 1:1.77 so it is made for theater and a little wider than 16:9 (hence the bars at top and bottom). Conversely a full screen movie is going to fill the widescreen TV top to bottom and have sidebars. But the widescreen 16x9 version is going to show a lot more content. Assuming you don't set your TV to stretch and distort it or use panning of course. I see no point in buying fullscreen versions for the future unless you plan to keep your 1999 TV around and dont care about the extra content being cropped off. Buy widescreen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:33:03 AM PDT
imdb.com states the aspect ratio of this movie as 1:85:1, so the "full screen" version has parts of the image cut off on the sides, while the "wide screen" version shows the complete picture.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory [VHS]
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory [VHS] by Gene Wilder (VHS Tape - 1994)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,640)