Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2010 10:55:53 AM PST
The description just says "1991 Special Edition". IIRC, there are several versions of this film floating around...for example, the network TV version where the only major addition was the scenes involving the sentry guns, and the more "full" version with the scenes of Newt's family before the colony was destroyed and the scenes about Ripley's dead daughter. I much prefer the ones without those two latter scenes, and was wondering which one I'd be getting with this anthology.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 2:22:15 AM PST
O. Wicks says:
It's the 154:26 minutes version i.e the FULL Directors Cut that's in the Anthology, the other version's you're thinking of will never see the light again as James Cameron doesn't like them.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 11:58:13 AM PST
LadyOwl says:
Hmmm...how interesting. I personally enjoyed the deleted scenes as it lent more explanation as to how and why Ripley bonded so much to Newt, and her flirtatious relationship with Hicks, nearly the end, when they both reveal their first names.
As for the first one, I didn't particualarly enjoy the deleted scenes from Ridley Scott's version. It's good they cut them out, and rewrote them, for they were pretty cheezy.
What is the full director's cut, and how does it differ from the other "Special Edition"?

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 1:15:39 PM PST
O. Wicks says:
For more info on the Aliens Special Edition see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/alternateversions

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 10:34:47 PM PST
mao_soup says:
ALIENS special edition is not very good in my opinion. I think all the rubbish about Newt's family is cheesy and slows down the whole movie to a snail's pace. Also, I think it's much more spooky not ever knowing about these people other than when you get to Acheron and they are all being harvested. I do enjoy the rest of the deleted scenes, ie. the sentry guns, aliens are bugs, and the dwayne/ellen bit. I just hate the added rubbish in the beginning about her daughter and the stuff about Newt's fam.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 10:53:19 AM PST
LadyOwl says:
Understandable...my take on the deleted scenes from the first Alien were completly unnecessary, IMO, and I'm thankful they were edited. The Dallas found by Ripley scene was OK, as I can see the 'nature of the beast' to instinctively cocoon him, as opposed to the take on it by critique, as their WAS no egg there, just Dallas cocooned, and slowly dying from neglect, as the warrior alien was simply relying on instinct. With no queen, no egg, right? So, so much for the critique on that. But the other scenes were a waste of time.
And true, #2's scene of Newt's family and all was a bit much, although I like how it led up to the close up of Ripleys fingers draped over, with the cigarette, as a contrast to the 'facehuggers' legs ("digits"?) over the father's face. But you get that even without the deleted scene, so...*shrugs*

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 12:48:45 PM PDT
Yes, the SED was cheezy and unneccessarily longer (echoing Star Trek The Motion Picture - Longer Version) My only complaint about both versions is that all the other films are in 2.35:1 yet this one is in 1.85:1. Did this film not pay in cineramic 70mm theaters that would have produced a sufficient 2.35:1 print?

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 9:36:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 9:38:36 PM PDT
James Cameron talks about the whole "aspect-ratio" issue at length during the audio commentary (during the scenes where the Marines are first entering "Hadley's Hope," in the longer version) -- basically, there would've been major issues with the optical effects compositing later in post-production, had he shot in 2.35:1, so he went with 1.85:1 and a particular type of Kodak film stock.

Later, he realized how he could've still made it all work in "scope," (the matted Super 35 format) but the film was already in theaters by that point. An amazing commentary track, BTW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alien Anthology (Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / Alien: Resurrection) [Blu-ray]
Alien Anthology (Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / Alien: Resurrection) [Blu-ray] by Sigourney Weaver (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (2,104)