5.0 out of 5 stars Another great success by Mary Higgins Clark....
Published on November 16, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't all that great.
Published on September 10, 2001 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great success by Mary Higgins Clark...., November 16, 1999
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
"While My Pretty One Sleeps" is another great novel that adds to the proof of Mary Higgins Clark's great writing talent. I gave this novel five stars because it was a great book packed with mystery and suspense. Once you pick it up you do not want to put it down. The mystery begins to unfold with the disappearance of the famous gossip columnist Ethel Lambston. Neeve Kearney a fashion boutique owner, in which Lambston shops, realizes that something is wrong and does not rest until she gets answers to all of the mysterious questions that begin to unfold. This is an absolutely wonderful novel. Any person that enjoys Mary Higgins Clark or likes mysteries should definitely pick up this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the most suspenseful books I've ever read..., May 3, 1999
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
I used to not enjoy reading, but after picking up While My Pretty One Sleeps, I think I've changed my mind! Unlike other mysteries that are boring and hard to follow, this book has a great plot and is very suspenseful. I admit that I had a hard time putting it down at night! You're hooked within the first chapter, when the story begins with the murder of gossip columnist Ethel Lambston. Lambston had written a column that could destroy the careers of many fashion designers, and someone was angry enough about it to kill her! There are many suspects, but you really won't know who did it until the last pages. The only person who cares about Ethel's disapperance is Neeve Kearny, owner of an expensive boutique where Lambston was a customer. When Ethel is found dead in a park, Neeve is reminded of her mother's murder. As she stuggles to find the truth, she doesn't realize that she may be the next to die... While My Pretty One Sleeps is more than just a mystery, it also has a little romance added in. The characters are very realistic, and there isn't a boring page in the whole book! I would definetly recommend this book to anyone!!

2.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't all that great., September 10, 2001
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
I am still a big Mary Higgins Clark fan, but I am sick of her portraying men in her novels with seemingly irreversible flaws while the women have the endurance and character of Wonder Woman. While her stories are fictional, can we at least stop living in a perfect world? Every woman on earth is not supermodel material. I say this because if I read about another perfectly formed woman who is not a day past 25 and can solve a murder within three days, I'm going to scream. The men, of course, are either good looking for their age (i.e. - they looked good a long time ago or they have potential but they don't utilize it) or bald, fat, ugly, and chauvenistic.
This book came highly recommended to me by a family member. Frankly, it was a boring read and I only read all of the book out of respect for my family member. I could put it down very easily and I found the lead characters unbelievably boring. The murderer was a disappointing surprise (yet again another male). Also, it is good to give details about surroundings in books, but enough is enough. It's great that the author has a niche for fine fashion (and this was a fashion book), but the constant descriptions of sweaters, skirts, and blouses added to the consistent boredom of the novel.
Funny thing though, I just picked up a copy of We'll Meet Again. Yet again there is another female heroine with uncanny youthful looks who will undoubtedly solve another murder (probably by a man again) within three days. Remember Me and Weep No More My Lady were typical Mary Higgins Clark books but with more excitement. This is probably due to more characters who were diverse enough to carry a novel. I believe I'll start saturating my mystery collection with other authors - for at least SOME variety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Sargent Rocks, May 10, 2001
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
Mary Higgins Clark weaves together suspense, murder, and a love story in While My Pretty One Sleeps. Neeve Kearny, the daughter of the ex-police commissioner, owns a dress shop that fashions dresses for the rich. She has befriended a customer, Ethel Lambston, who writes gossip articles. Ethel's sudden leave of absence has left Neeve puzzled as to her whereabouts. When Neeve finds out Ethel is dead, her father fears for Neeve's life. After his wife's murder, Myles has been a bit over-protective of Neeve, his only child. When Myles finds out his daughter is in trouble, it may be too late to save her from the fate her mother suffered. Neeve Kearny is a fashion expert with a trusting disposition. As the evidence in Ethel's murder unfolds, Neeve searches in every corner to find out what really happened in this case. When the facts aren't found, she becomes curious. Neeve really knows her stuff in the fashion industry, which helps in the case of Ethel's murder. However, she is too trusting, which gets her in trouble, especially near the end of the novel. Myles has great instinct, but he lets this trait prevent him from enjoying his life and moving on after his wife's death. While his pretty one sleeps, Myles worries about the other girl in his life: his daughter. The twist at the end of this novel leaves the reader wondering how reality is still the truth. While My Pretty One Sleeps holds new possibilities at the turn of each page. The novel has only one fault; the reader can't put it down! In this book the reader finds he can trust no one. Mary Higgins Clark makes the facts seem fictional and the truth seem unimaginable. While My Pretty One Sleeps challenges the reader to question his own trusting lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars passion for fashion?, December 5, 2004
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
you'll never guess who did it. I find it good. Mary Higgins Clark is very good indeed. This book inspires people not to pass judgement because sometimes the truth is beyond appearances and prejudice. It's an inside to the fashion industry, it's about doubt, suspicion, murder and a little bit of love. I won't spoil the plot:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome as usual from MHC, April 21, 2004
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
I enoyed this immensely and it is one of my favorite books by MHC. I didn't hit on the identity of the murderer right away. MHC's work is filled with sympathetic characters, particularly the heroine, I am always left feeling that if she really existed, I would want to add her to my circle of friends. A knack MHC usually achieves with all of her characters. An enjoyable read from a consistently good author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and exciting, May 3, 2001
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
A slow start builds into a fascinating and suspenseful book. All the characters are well-built, and although the plethora of characters makes the book sometimes a little bit confusing, it's really just intricately plotted. This is just as good as Clark's Let Me Call You Sweetheart.

3.0 out of 5 stars While my Pretty One Sleeps, April 21, 2003
This review is from: While My Pretty One Sleeps (Mass Market Paperback)
While my Pretty One Sleeps was a typical Mary Higgins Clark novel, filled with suspense, mystery, and murder. While it was a good book, it wasn�t one of Clark�s better novels. Clark is a good writer, however; While my Pretty One Sleeps isn�t as good as some of her others like All Around the Town for example. The plot was well developed and the characters were believable.
Neeve Kearny is a high-class New York clothing storeowner who has a good intuition of the disappearance of one of her best customers, Ethel Lambston. Ethel is a famous gossipy author, who suddenly disappears without a trace. No one seems to notice or cares that Ethel is missing except for Neeve. After police finally realize she is missing and not out on one of her infamous get-a-ways, they find her body in a nearby park. Suspects start popping up and the police start a search for Ethel Lambston�s murderer. Ethel�s nephew moves into her apartment and starts inheriting her fortune. Him being her only kin he is surprisingly not disturbed by his aunt�s death, which makes him a main suspect for the police. Another suspect pops up which is Ethel�s ex-husband. He was the last to see Ethel alive and neighbors heard them in an enraged argument. Neeve Kearny struggles with her friendly client�s death and it brings back memories of her mothers� death, which happened 2 decades before. With a twisting and mysterious ending the two deaths are intertwined with a shocking murdered.
This was my forth Mary Higgins Clark novel that I have read, even though it was good, I must say it wasn�t one of the best. I like the kind of book that when I�m reading it I can�t seem to put it down, with While my Pretty One Sleeps it wasn�t hard for me to put it down and walk away from it. Only because the suspense wasn�t there until the last few chapters. Most of the book is just setting up the characters and circumstances for the suspenseful ending.
Clark�s character development was definitely good and made each character come to life and seem somewhat real. I�ve read other books and not really felt I knew the characters by the end of the book, but with this one I could. Neeve, the main character, was a complex character having to deal with Ethel�s death and then her past with her mother�s death. Clark did a good job getting into the minds of each character and why they felt how they did.
Even though she once again wrote another murder mystery book I could honestly say it was believable. The circumstances and how each person reacted to them were completely believable in the sense that the plot could easily happen. The plot of the story was well developed. Bringing the past and how Clark connected it to the climax of the book shows how well of a writer she is. One of the best things about this book was how easy it was to read. I wasn�t struggling to find definitions to big words and getting lost in point of view or flashbacks the whole time.
I do recommend this book to other Mary Higgins Clark readers only because it�s an OK read for one of her novels. I do not recommend this book to someone who has never read any of her books. I would suggest to start out on another novel of hers like All Around the Town or Remember Me. They are good and really get you deep into the book. Over all I rate While my Pretty One Sleeps 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book - Kindle Editing Disappointing, March 1, 2009
I haven't read a MHC book for a long time, and forgot how much I enjoyed her books. I thoroughly enjoyed the usual twists and turns of this book, and loved the ending.
I was disappointed with the Kindle edition, however. One mistake in spelling or grammar you ignore, two is a raised eyebrow. There were so many errors that it was off-putting. I like to get lost in a book, and an error takes me out of "the zone", so to speak. Kindle edition e-books should have the same standards as standard editions. This is not a complaint on MHC, but rather the publisher (Pocket Books).

4.0 out of 5 stars Erin Guldenstern's review- Ms.Olivet, October 28, 2001
Who killed Renata Kearny? That's the question in Mary Higgins Clark's novel, While My Pretty One Sleeps. Dragging you in from the first page, the killer changes until the end. Finally the killer is made known, and it's the last person anyone would think of.
Neeve Kearny owns a fashion shop in New York City. Her father is the ex- police commissioner and was just offered a job in Washington. Neeve is worried about her father because of his recent heart attack. Her father, Miles, is worried about her. Neeve's mother was killed years ago in Central Park while taking her morning jog. When Nicky Sepetti is released from jail, Miles becomes worried for Neeve's safety, because Renata's killer was never found. Sepetti was the expected killer.
Kitty Conway was a women of 58. She had strawberry blonde hair and gray eyes. She was at Morrison State Park when she first saw it. As her horse raced down an incline she thought she saw the impression of a hand within a bright blue sleeve. When she got home she keep thinking about the blue sleeve. Had she really seen it? She had to go find out. She retraced her steps and found a body. It was later identified as Ethel Lambston. Everyone thinks her ex-husband killed her, to get out of paying alimony. Now two people have been killed and one more in danger of being killed. If this excites you, read the book While My Pretty One Sleeps to find out who really killed them.
I enjoyed this book, because the excitement makes it impossible to put down. This book keeps you thinking until the end. If you love a book with suspense and character twists, give this book a try. If you love trying to figure out whodunit in a good mystery, you should read this book!

While My Pretty One Sleeps
While My Pretty One Sleeps by Mary Higgins Clark (Mass Market Paperback - July 1, 1990)
Used & New from: $0.01