5.0 out of 5 stars A Kindleobsessed Review
Published on August 19, 2010 by Misty Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly annoying book...
Published on May 18, 2012 by books and corn

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kindleobsessed Review, August 19, 2010
A few weeks ago I asked my readers to "give me some sappy book suggestions." After 20 or so books with no emotional reaction I was starting to fear my sensitivity level was pretty much at a 0, (which I'm sure comes as no surprise) but after checking the list, and even reading several chapters from some of the suggestions I got... my tear ducts were still on lock-down, until this book. Who in the world would have thought a paranormal thriller (which reads a lot like a forensic thriller) would be the one to unclog the faucet.

Cameron Dawson just wants a little peace and quiet. Hoping to escape his tortured past, he moves back to his childhood home in Faith, but when bodies start piling up at the morgue, Cameron suddenly realizes his dreams of peace have morphed into the stuff nightmares are made of.

Kyle Bancroft doesn't have a clouded past... she "sees" everybody else's. Finding herself haunted by a little girl with a dark secret, her generic "Dr." life starts to spin out of control, but cryptic messages or not, Kyle is determined to come up with an answer and set her companion free... even if it kills her.

Is Kyle's mystery girl the answer to all of Cameron's question? Will Cameron even believe such a wild accusation, and if he does... is there anyway to stop his little town from tearing itself apart?

I'm going to be honest, (deep breath) I have been sitting here for over an hour trying to think of something to say about this book, a way to breakdown the characters... explain the narrative and plot sequences, but for once I am speechless. (Yes... shocker, I know) It's not often that I find myself in this situation, and it's a little unsettling, but alas... here I am. The fact is...I would have been completely content with this review being 1 sentence long.

"This book is the best book I have read in months"

(But then you would have labeled me lazy, and scolded me for my lack of originality... so here is the best I can offer you.)

If you are looking for expertly written characters, a murder mystery that (not only) reads like a movie in your head, but is so twisted that you almost need a piece of paper to keep the players straight... this one is for you. "While The Savage Sleeps" is not only a story that keeps you guessing "who" the entire time... but also adds that unexpected element of "what" as well, and even when you think you have if figured out, chances are you don't. The best part? The last 10% when something inside of you clicks, and you realize you care about the characters. (Oh the horror.)

So what does this mean for you? Simple. You are out $2.99 cause this one is a must read.

Happy reading my fellow Kindle-ites and remember: There is no such thing as harmless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and Scary!, June 21, 2010
DKM (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
Kaufman keeps the reader's attention with compelling characters integrated into a spine tingling narrative. He has created a plot that grabs your attention from the very first page. A terrific coupling of forensics and the paranormal. Indeed an impressive piece of work for a first novel. If you like to have the bejeebers scared out of you, read this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly annoying book..., May 18, 2012
I purchased this as a kindle book after reading Lion, Lamb, and Hunted by the same author, expecting it to be just as good with perhaps a slightly bad ending as some other reviewers warned. This was a downright horrible book and I would never recommend this to anyone. Period. I read a ton of mysteries/thrillers/crime-solving books and they are easily my favorite genre of book because I like being fed fractions of detail in each chapter that makes me feel like I'm invested without resolving the overarching mystery that keeps me hooked.

This novel started off promising as others have mentioned, like the beginning of a CSI episode, but by 60% through the book (and this according to my kindle percentage), it was still just describing random mystery deaths without a single detail revealed about any of it. All the characters sounded so incredibly idiotic, especially the 2 main deputies. It would go from murder to murder and all the cliffhanger chapter endings would go something like, "and they knew they had to find the missing suspect because all the answers lie with him..." suspense...and they would just never follow up on anything. No suspects would be recovered, no further details revealed, and the police force would keep talking to one another like they found some amazing, case-breaking detail, but it would just be some really obvious fact they should've known by at least the second case. I also agree the female character was SO weak and unnecessary; she truly added nothing to the story except some random creepy factor that hardly explained anything. I literally cringed at the interaction between her and Cameron. Really? Just terrible. The dialogue probably annoyed me the most, though. At around the second third of the book, it seemed like every other word was italicized for emphasis and effect, but just as using thousands of sentences with exclamation points loses its impact, this was just overkill. Books read out in my mind exactly as written - very true to caps locks, exclamations, pauses, and italics. I hate it when one technique is overused like it was here. It's just bad writing.

Overall, the story was poor, characters unlikable/underdeveloped, interactions unnatural, and the mystery wasn't so much a mystery as it was a really bad random incident to explain it all, slapped together in the last 10% of the book. If I had to give readers an idea of the book by comparison, I would say it was similar to Children of the Fog in components (ghost mystery/thriller) but done considerably worse. Powers worse, because I thoroughly enjoyed Children of the Fog and would suggest it to others. All isn't lost, though, because Lion, Lamb, and the Hunted was very exciting and so well done - it's honestly a mystery to me how they could've come from the same author. Night and day in quality and execution. If Andrew Kaufman came back to read While the Savage Sleeps after publishing his fifth book, I think he would agree that this was pretty awful - like finding an essay you wrote in third grade as a college freshman and wondering how you didn't fail elementary school. I'll watch out for his future books, but with one horrible and one fantastic publication, it can go in either direction for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expectations set too high, December 21, 2010
I hadn't heard of Andrew Kaufman or his book until he followed me on twitter a couple of weeks ago. I looked at his twitter account, read the reviews here, and figured it was probably worth $2.99 to see what all the buzz was about. It's rare to see a book with over two dozen reviews and 5 stars overall.

If the book hadn't been built up so much by the reviews here, I suspect I would have been happier with it. It's a good book -- an interesting resolution to a murder mystery in formerly calm Faith, New Mexico. But from reading the reviews here, I would have thought this was The Best Book Ever! Not so. While Kaufman writes well (I enjoyed both the characters and the plot), I kept finding little nitpicky grammar errors or odd dialogue or just a strange sentence that I'd read three or four times, think, "Hm," and go on. But those things pulled me out of the story regularly enough that I found myself not enjoying it as much as I wanted to.

I'd like to see more from Mr. Kaufman. There are certainly some original thought processes at work here, and that's to be applauded. I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could (minus 1 star for all the times I was pulled out of the story, minus a half star for my blown expectations).

1.0 out of 5 stars While the savage sleeps, May 25, 2012
I'm going all the way to 1 because I did finnish it, though I'm not sure why. And I kept asking myself why even as I plowed through the last 30 - 40%, though I did so, skipping a lot of the text along the way.
You would think there would be a lot of suspense & tension throughout a story with so many murders. You would be wrong! Even with two of the victims members of the local police force there is a total absence of emotion or passion expressed or implied by the chief and assistant chief, the latter the main protagonist.
Their relationship, and that of Cam and the female newcomer with some nonsensical pshycic connection to the events is almost comical. The ending is too, told in the form of a newspaper report developed by what means or information is simply unfathomable.
More mysterious and disappointing is how 76 reviewers could have given this 5 stars and so many others offering positive opinions. What would they rate one of the classics - I guess they'd be tied at 5, unless they gave demerits for complex words.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Became a Fan of the Mystery/Paranormal Genre!, May 16, 2011
This review is from: While the Savage Sleeps (Paperback)
I am hungry for more, Mr Kaufman...I had no idea this book would affect me the way it did. I'm more of a "tug at my heartstrings", kind of girl. As I jumped into the pages of this thriller, there was no turning back....

What I loved about this book, were the many facets of the story and how they all came to an ending that not only brought tears to my eyes, but also took my breath away. "While The Savage Sleeps" is a fast paced read that allows no time for hesitation. No "spoilers" here! But, I will say that if you enjoy Koontz and King, don't miss out on Andrew E. Kaufman.

While The Savage Sleeps by Andrew E. Kaufman is the winner of The Bitten by Books SmackDown 2001 Award and a finalist in the 2011 San Diego Book Award.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary magic!, November 30, 2010
Robert Farley (St. Albans, West Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I've read a lot of books in my time (this book is the 103 book I've read in 2010 alone) and this one certainly ranks high among them.

Kaufman takes a lot of familiar literary cliches, a strong but flawed hero with a tragic past, a bystander prodded into action by visiting spirits, a peaceful small town, a nosey neighbor, and does new and interesting things with them. The best comparison is that of a magician taking ordinary everyday objects and doing mind-blowing things with them.

In this novel He uses some truly excellent dialogue and an exquisitely arranged plot to put things into motion in such a way that I didn't have any idea at all what was truly behind the strange and terrible events in Faith up until the conclusion. By maintaining the mystery he keeps the suspense building and he uses it to push the limits of his characters too, adding to the enjoyment of the story.

If you want a book that will keep you guessing, that has potentially horrifying implications for the real world, and is above all else, a refreshing and engaging story, 'While the Savage Sleeps' will definitely hit the spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, November 24, 2010
This review is from: While the Savage Sleeps (Paperback)
This book is a lot of things - thriller, suspense, mystery with a twist of paranormal. We even find a little romance along the way. But the biggest label that should be attached is Bestseller. For me, Kaufman's writing is flawless.

Some of the scenes, particularly at the beginning, are gruesome. However, unlike some authors who rely on lots of graphic violence to carry the story, Kaufman gives us just enough to let our imaginations run wild. The plot has multiple layers with characters you'll want to follow into the dark places. Once you start this one, you won't want to put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Empty hearts, empty souls.", February 19, 2013
I just finished reading Kaufman's The Lion, The Lamb, The Hunted and liked it so much that I went searching for other books by the same author.

I enjoyed "While the Savage Sleeps," too. Murder, mayhem, mysteries (old and new) with a psychic thrown in - what's not to like?

I liked Assistant Sheriff Cameron Dawson and psychic Dr. Kyle Buchanan. They made a great team, working on the mysterious happenings of Faith, New Mexico.

My one (small) complaint was that there were too many characters that dead ended in the story. They would appear for a couple of paragraphs and then we'd never read about them again. But this didn't detract from the story much.

It was still a fast-paced scary story. Oh, do be warned that there are many violent scenes in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught from the very first words!, November 11, 2012
A step into a new genre for me. I found myself lost in the story and couldn't put it down.

While the Savage Sleeps
While the Savage Sleeps by Andrew E. Kaufman (Paperback - June 26, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.40