5.0 out of 5 stars While we sleep, someone else is playing!
I first got the board book version of this book for my daugther & really fell in love with both the story and the artwork! A few months later I happened to read a review where the person said there was a difference between the Hard cover and Board book version. So... I decided to also purchase the book in Hardcover as well.

Now that I have both side by side, in...
Published on April 26, 2005 by KSL

3.0 out of 5 stars Different than hardcover edition
Published on August 2, 2012 by No Lie

5.0 out of 5 stars While we sleep, someone else is playing!, April 26, 2005

Now that I have both side by side, in my eyes here is the difference between the 2 books. The Hardcover starts with a little girl being awoken by her mother in the morning, and while the girl is waking up her mother begins to talk about how all the animals that where awake last night while she was sleeping are now all sleeping, whiles she is now awake. From those 3 pages the books are both the same.... and then the hard back has 5 more pages at the end that the Board book does not.

I know that board books are small for small listeners with short attention spans, so I think the publishers choose to shorten a few pages that really do not matter if they are deleted from the book. The board book still stands alone as just as awesome without those 8 pages some of which are illustrations.

I use the board book at night before bed to show her that the world is big and while she is sleeping others are awake and so forth. The board book begins with the outline of a home against a stary, stary night. While I plan to use the hard cover book when I introduce her to it one morning or afternoon. Both books are illustrated so beautifully and it still to me is such a neat process that while we sleep, someone in the world is playing!

I have also seen this done in the "Family of the Earth" Books as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fun book., June 17, 2003
Brenda Thomas (Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
My daughter received the large paper book for her 1st Christmas and loved it so much that it wore out and had to be discarded. She recently received the card board book for her 3 year birthday but it was a little disapointing because it didn't have the beginning page with Daisy's mother talking to her in bed and doesn't have the last pages with the 10 penguins joining 100 friends and with Daisy's room where you try to find the 10 penguins, which is what my daughter had especially enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous New Children's Book, October 21, 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
John Butler's WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, captures the essence of what animals do at night while a young child is tucked safely in his/her bed, soundly asleep. Ten different animals are featured throughout the pages of the book, including mice, tigers, penguins, and more. The lyrical prose will have very young children drifting off to sleep before the story is done, while at the same time will keep them dreaming about the lovely illustrations and animals contained throughout the story. A lovely bedtime book for all children, especially those who are under the age of 5.

Erika Sorocco

Book Review Columnist for The Community Bugle Newspaper

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is a pleasure to open again and again, August 26, 2002
This book is a really great bed-time book for even the littlest listeners. But, it also teaches simple concepts such as counting to ten, and the names of animals.
The final two page spread contains a sort of "I Spy" game that includes all of the animals from the previous pages.
The illustrations in this book are especially well done. Bed time books are read so frequently, and so repeatedly, that it's great to have something that I look forward to looking at so often.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sweet!, March 4, 2013
This book of John Butler's is just darling. Perfect for the little ones. My youngest is six now, and she still loves this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different than hardcover edition, August 2, 2012
I bought this book as a gift. My daughter has owned the hardcover version for over 12 years now. I have a two year old and it is still a huge hit...kids LOVE this book! I was excited when I realized there was a board book version. My disappointment comes specifically with the board book version. The board book does not include Daisy, the little girl that is waking up for the day. It just goes right into the counting of animals. I actually ordered a stuffed owl to give along with the book because Daisy had one and tucked him in to sleep as she went on with her day at the end of the story. No Daisy...no mommy...no baby owl...huge bummer. The hardcover also ends with a double page of Daisy's room that shows all her stuffed animals. The numbers match the story her mom told. Hours of fun for toddlers and young children once they make that connection. These pages are not included in the board book version. Again...huge bummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect soothing book for winding down, August 10, 2008
John Butler books are my 3 year old son's absolute favorite. He is captivated by the beautiful soothing illustrations, and loves to chant along with the story being told. I have been reading this story to him since he was 6 months old, and have since bought all of the John Butler board books. They are lovely, and a wonderful bonding experience with your child!

5.0 out of 5 stars While You Were Sleeping, April 1, 2008
Me and my grandchildren love John Butler's books, especially "While You Were Sleeping". The illustrations are so vivid and life-like. The book teaches color and counting concepts in such fun and interesting ways. Children want to hear this story over and over again. Please Mr. Butler, keep writing books for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT COMPANION ON THE WAY TO DREAM LAND, November 29, 2000
This would have to be the perfect bedtime book for the under fives.
The illustrations of many of our favourite animals have gentle subtle tones. They all look kind and unthreatening.
The count down from 1 to 10 as the pages turn would get most sleepy heads soon snuggling down under the covers.
There are some valuable educational elements in the book as well. Young children will learn that many creatures are nocturnal. Perhaps the more inquisitive (and less sleepy) child may want to go outside and look for owls in the old oak tree!
The presence of the full moon on many pages is a nice touch. Children could also learn that on the other side of the world while they sleep, it is day over there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, April 14, 2000
By A Customer
While you are sleeping things continue to go on all over the world. While a mother tells her child about some of those things, we are presented with a beautifully illustrated counting book which goes up to ten and then represents the number one hundred and finally ends with the reader (or read to) getting a chance to find and count the penquins scattered around a room. The illustrations are done soft and delicate but beautifully detailed so that adults as well as children will want to look at them repeatedly. There will always be things found in the pictures to discuss with children.

While You Were Sleeping
While You Were Sleeping by John Butler (Hardcover - March 31, 2002)
Out of stock