Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Whirlpool 4392894SRB Ice Cube and Freezer Deodorizer
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 28, 2010
My freezer has stunk for the last couple of years and I have never been able to figure out why. G.E. refrigerators I have had in the past have never smelled like my Maytag does. I have been using baking soda in both the freezer and fridge to help get rid of the smell but it never fully disappeared. I had read about using activated charcoal but couldn't find any in the local stores so I ordered the Whirlpool Ice Cube and Freezer Deodorizer from Amazon.
It was like magic; I replaced all my old ice cube trays(bought last year)because the smell had impregnated them, and put the activated charcoal deodorizer in the freezer. By the next day the smell was gone. Some day I hope to replace this refrigerator with one that won't stink but until then I will be buying Whirlpools Cube and Freezer Deodorizer. I highly recommend it.
on July 21, 2011
I'll keep it short, this product completely removed the odor and taste from our ice cubes. Put it in the freezer, along with the Whirlpool 8171398SRB Refrigerator Deodorizer and pitched the ice in the freezer for the next few days. Just need to remind myself to replace both before the odors come back.
on February 17, 2014
The smell is gone from my freezer, so I love this. A tip: put it right in front of the vent in your freezer, wherever that may be. It circulates a whole lot better and gets it through the whole freezer.
on August 22, 2014
I have had problems for MONTHS with my ice tasting disgusting. I've cleaned out my ice machine multiple times and thrown out old food from the freezer but to no avail. I have this in my freezer for a few hours and my ice was FINALLY clean! I am so happy. I never tried baking soda, but this did the job better than I imagined.
on April 12, 2012
Like so many others I've used the baking soda boxes for many years in my fridge and freezer. They worked "ok", but I was looking for something better. Especially since my ice seemed to be retaining odors even after doubling-up on the baking soda.

I tried this boxed option of "activated charcoal" as one of the few alternatives available. It's much wider than the soda boxes - almost twice as much, so it steals room from your food. I threw away all the ice I had accumulated in the bucket and had it make fresh. Within a week or so of internal air circulation the ice taste improved.

I suppose the level of improvement would depend on how bad-smelling your freezer is and how much airflow exists between the various food products, the ice bucket, and the charcoal. If it was packed in there tight, I would think the lack of airflow would do nothing for smells. That and it takes a bit of time to soak all those odors up.

Anyway for me it was a substantial improvement such that I would buy again. Now if only the price would come down a couple bucks I'd be 100% sold.
on May 12, 2014
I purchased this deodorizer because the ice cubes in my Whirlpool side by side refrigerator were coming out with a strange taste. The issue was the poorly packaged frozen foods which were causing the odors to be absorbed into the ice cubes. (which sit in an open-air bucket inside the unit) These help to alleviate "some" of the foul taste, but for the cost I wasn't too impressed. With a mixture of higher quality food storage bags and this deodorizer the issue has since been taken care of, but these are not strong enough to do all the work by themselves. (Not that I was expecting that.) I paid far too much for these when I purchased them, but they have since dropped in cost which is a little disappointing on my part. I will probably just use baking soda once these deodorizers "run out."
on January 5, 2014
This is an item that is hard to review 'cause if it is working well you don't notice anything. But if you wrap and cover everything and keep the fridge clean you won't know if it's the Deodorizer or your efforts at cleanliness. This is activated charcoal and that is always the best item to use as it has the most edges and surfaces to collect odors. Look up activated charcoal deodorizers if this confuses you. The boxes are a little bigger than I like but there are other ones that are much larger, so take it for what it's worth. I will be reviewing two more activated charcoal deodorizers in the next 60 days that are way more compact and come in a plastic container and may or may not be a better option. Please check my reviews in 2 mos. for the updates. I have already bought them and am waiting until these wear out to use them. Waste not, want not. As always, I will update if anything changes. Thanks and let me know if you like my reviews or what you don't like.
on February 7, 2015
My wife suffers from frequent migraines and so we have an ample supply of gel-packs in the freezer. In the months leading up to this purchase, my wife almost stopped using the gel packs altogether because she said the smell on them completely counteracted any benefit she was getting by using the pack. Within a month of having this deodorizer in the freezer, I would say the smell has diminished by at least 80%. Overall we have been very pleased.
on January 20, 2014
I saw the critical review saying their ice tastes like charcoal now -- I don't use my ice, so I can't tell you if it's made my ice taste different. Recently something in my freezer or fridge started to stink. I tossed some food, but the freezer still stunk.

I put these in on a Tuesday or Wednesday. By Sunday the smell had drastically improved, if not totally disappeared. I've used baking soda before to try and get rid of the smell -- this worked much better!

I'm sold. Will definitely buy these again. Worth the money.
(and I'm posting this exact same review for the refrigerator one.)
on November 27, 2013
tried everything to rid my refrigerator of moth ball smell. had moth balls in garage and the air exchanged into fridge and freezer. when we moved, the smell still didn't go away after 3 months of trying baking soda, soap and water wipe down. then put activated charcoal bought from here on paper towel in empty fridge and freezer compartments. still nothing. no actual food was in fridge this whole time. after 3 days with this deodorizer, one each in fridge and freezer, no smell. i am amazed. was about to get rid of the fridge.