Make sure the water and ice from your refrigerator is as clean and fresh tasting as possible by replacing its water filter. This Whirlpool water filter is used in Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Maytag side-by-side refrigerators with quarter-turn filter access in the base grille.
It's NSF-certified to reduce particulates (class II), lead, mercury, and more. (The contaminants or other substances removed or reduced by this water filter are not necessarily in all users' water.) While it effectively removes contaminants from your water and ice, this filter also lowers the taste and odor of chlorine while retaining beneficial fluoride.
Note that this water filter does not reduce the amount of cysts in your water.
For the highest quality water and ice, your refrigerator's water filter needs to be changed over a period of time as its effectiveness at cleaning the water is reduced. For optimal results, you should replace this refrigerator water filter every 6 months to ensure clean, safe drinking water and ice.
Your refrigerator will even remind you when to change its filter, turning on an indicator light found near the water dispenser. Changing the filter is easy--just locate the old filter, turn the filter one-quarter of a turn to remove and replace with the new filter.
This model (4396508) can be used to replace the following models of water filter:
| || || || |
Replacing Your Water Filter
For side-by-side refrigerators with quarter-turn filter access in the base grille, follow these instructions for replacing your filter:
- Rotate the cap counterclockwise to a vertical position, then pull.
- Remove the filter cap by sliding it right or left. Set aside cap. Discard old filter.
- Remove the packaging and O-ring covers from the new filter. Slide the filter cap back onto the end. Align the ridge on the filter with the ridge on the cap to make certain it is centered.
- Hold the assembled cap and filter unit with the handle in the vertical position and push the new filter cartridge into the opening of the base grille until it stops. Rotate the cartridge cap clockwise to a horizontal position.
- Flush the water system until a total of 3 gallons (12 L) has been dispensed.