2,209 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, incredible value overall
Published on September 3, 2008 by Nathan A. Price

Published on January 26, 2012 by JD Golfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, incredible value overall, September 3, 2008
I have a Kenmore refrigerator form Sears that I bought about a year and a half ago. Kenmore is actually made by Whirlpool and although the filter this replaced was labeled Kenmore, this is the exact same filter but labeled Whirlpool instead. I looked it up on the Sears site and they wanted $50 for the same filter. The price is a steal and even though it says 6 months I used it for over a year since I have soft water in my house and only one person. My fridge has a 6 month built in timer that goes from green to orange to red when the 6 months is up. I thought it might be based on actual usage, but it's not, because it went red at exactly 6 months and I use far less water than most other households. I have no idea why more time would harm a filter, as far as I'm concerned it's just a marketing tactic to get you to buy them more often then needed, like oil changes every 3,000 miles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Kenmore Elite which takes the Sears filter 9030, January 10, 2009
DJ (Durant, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlpool 4396710P KitchenAid PUR Push Button Cyst-Reducing, Side-by-Side Refrigerator Water Filter, 2-Pack (Tools & Home Improvement)
This filter fits my Kenmore Elite side by side which takes the Sears 9030 filter and at almost half the price. The only difference in this filter is it does not say Stage II or Kenmore. The water tastes exactly the same to me as when I used the Sears brand and I am very aware of the water taste since we have hard, extremely chlorinated water in my area. I wish I had found these filters - 4 Sears brand filters ago ... serious $$$ savings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaces these Kenmore filters!, January 15, 2012
I was so happy to see Amazon carrying these filters. Beats $85.00 for one filter from Sears!

Here are the filter part numbers that this Whirlpool filter replaces. You'll find the number ON your old Sears filter so you'll need to pop yours out. I found about 3 separate part numbers on my Sears filter so look carefully!

9020, 9030, 46-9020, 46-9030, 469020, 469030, T1RFWB2, T1WB2, T1WB2L, T1RFKB1, T1KB1, 2260538, T1KB2, T1RFKB2, Kenmore Pur 2260515, 2260538. The Whirlpool 4396710 will also replace part number W10121145. (these numbers were found through searching on Google)

Also I noted that Amazon has 3 different part numbers for this Whirlpool filter: 4396710, 4396710P, 4396710T / I believe these filter numbers are all the same, it just signifies the quantity in the pack. 1 filter, 2 filters, 3 filters respectively.

This filter appears to be the EXACT same filter that Sears sells, it just doesn't say Sears, it says Whirlpool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool filter 4396710, June 14, 2007
I bought my whirlpool refrigerator from sears in 2006. Sears sent me a reminder through mail that I need to replace my filter. I almost ordered the part through the sears.com website because this particular filter was not available through the sears store or through their parts center. I went to the sears.com website and their price was $60.59($44.98part+ $4.62tax+$10.99shipping). Then I thought about checking amazon.com to see if this filter was available, and it was, for a much lower cost to me. My total was $41.98($34.99part+$6.99shipping). I ordered the filter on May30 and received it through usps on June2. Replacing the filter was easy - just pop out the old one, transfer the filter cap from the old filter to the new one, and pop the new filter assembly back in. The old filter was dripping water, so I took it over to the sink to shake out the water and out came some rust colored water and small pieces of debris which would have been in my drinking water if it had not been filtered out by the filter. So it is a good idea to replace the filter on a regular basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Facts about Carbon filters - Why to change your filter, July 13, 2009
This is a good filter at a substantial savings compared to Sears. It will fit into your Kenmore Frige that takes a PUR filter.

Some interesting Facts not all know: Why to change your filter...

Eventually the AC filter (Active Carbon) loses its ability to remove contaminants, because it becomes clogged with material. In the case of taste and odor, the time to change the filter is easy to detect. However, in the case of other contaminants, it is more difficult to determine when the filter is no longer performing at an adequate level. Most manufacturers recommend a filter change after a certain volume of water has passed through the filter. Some AC units actually meter the water and automatically shut down after a specific quantity of water has passed through the filter. A general rule of thumb for high-volume AC filters is to change the filter after six months of use or 1000 gallons of filtered water. Tests done by Rodale Press Product Testing Department indicated that filtering performance was reduced dramatically after 75 percent of the manufacturer's recommended life time. These results suggest that filters should be changed more often than suggested by the manufacturer. Some AC filters are claimed to last for five years, because they are rechargeable with hot water (145 degrees F). The heat is supposed to release adsorbed organic chemicals. Little information is available on the prolonged effectiveness of rechargeable AC units. General recommendations are somewhat useful quidelines, but there is no guarantee that they apply to any specific situation. Remember, the only certain way of knowing whether contaminant levels are acceptable or not is by having your water tested.

A sediment filter installed ahead of any AC filter will prolong the life of the AC unit. Sediment can easily clog the pores of an AC filter within a short period of time. A good sediment filter can be purchased for only a fraction of the price of most high volume AC filters.

The Bacteria Issue

AC filters can be a breeding ground for microorganisms. The organic chemicals that are adsorbed to the AC are a source of food for various types of bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria are those that cause human diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery. Public water systems must treat for disease causing bacteria; therefore, the likelihood of disease causing bacteria being introduced to an AC filter from public drinking water is remote. AC filtration should only be used on water that has been tested and found to be bacteria free or effectively treated for pathogenic bacteria.

Other types of non-pathogenic bacteria that do not cause diseases have been regularly found in AC filters. There are times when high amounts of bacteria (non-pathogenic) are found in water filtered through an AC unit. Research by R. L. Caldron and E. W. Mood (1987) shows little risk to healthy people that consume high amounts of non-pathogenic bacteria. We regularly take in millions of bacteria every day from other sources. However, there is some concern for certain segments of the population, such as the very young or old and people weakened by illness. Some types of non-pathogenic bacteria can cause illness in those whose natural defenses are weak. Flushing out bacteria that have built up in the filter can be accomplished by running water through an AC filter for about 30 seconds prior to use. Water filtered after the initial flushing will have much lower levels of bacteria and ingestion of a high concentration of bacteria will have been avoided. The flushing procedure is most important in the morning or any other time of the day when the filter has not been used for several hours.

Some compounds of silver have been used as disinfectants. Silver has been added to certain AC filters as a solution to the bacteria problem. Unfortunately, product testing has not shown silver impregnated AC to be much more effective in controlling bacteria than normal AC filters. Only in the first month of operation did there appear to be any advantage to using an AC filter that contained silver.

EPA requires registration of all types of water treatment equipment that contain an active ingredient for the purpose of inhibiting the growth of microorganisms. Registration does not guarantee that the product is effective. It only guarantees that the active ingredient will not leach from the filter at levels that would be a health hazard.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior taste, excellent performance -- for less than 20 cents a day, March 2, 2006
WIth all due respect to the reviewer who complained that the cost of 20 cents/day was unreasonable and excessive, this filter does an amazing job and is a fantastic bargain, **especially** when compared to bottled water and manufactured ice. We've had our new KitchenAid fridge for just a little over 6 months, and we've been delighted with the sparkly-clean, crisp, tasteless water & ice that this filter enables it to dispense. Especially since we live in a "hard-water" area, where the stuff coming from your tap, while acceptable, leaves a faint, gritty mineral taste. I used to "splurge" on store-bought ice several times/year for parties and special occasions, just because it tasted so much better. (Or rather, didn't taste like anything at all -- which is of course the point.) Since we've had this fridge, with this filter, I've never needed to spend extra on bagged ice OR bottled water, because the ice & water thru this filter are every bit as good. The acid test? I could fill a clean plastic bottle with the water from this filter, and let it sit at room temperature for a day or more, and it still tastes just as good warm as if it were freshly dispensed. That same exercise with our regular tap water would've resulted in a nasty, nose-wrinkling, mineral stew as soon as the chill was gone. Another nice advantage this filter has over bottled water is that it does NOT filter out cavity-preventing fluoride, whereas most (all?) bottled waters do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste and much cheaper than buying the kenmore brand, December 31, 2008
TC (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This product works in the Kenmore brand refrigerators as well as the whirlpool ones. This seems to be identical in every way to the sears product 9030 but is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper. I would not compromise on quality for price, but when it comes to this, it is not compromise. So save those $$$$$ and you will find that you will find the same results with these as the ones sears sells. (Whirlpool makes kenmore refrigerators so it isn't surprising that these are interchangeable).

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with a Kenmore, July 9, 2009
J. Brindle (Los Angeles, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
The filter does what it is intended to do and they are much cheaper than the Kenmore branded filter. I have a Kenmore that calls for Part #09030 and this filter is identical to that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on my Kenmore fridge, May 14, 2009
Cold in Minnesota (Apple Valley, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd time I've used this filter on my Kenmore fridge. It costs so much less than the "Kenmore brand" product... which is just an overpriced version of this exact filter. Don't waste your money, this does the trick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received Used Filters...But Amazon Customer Service was great!, January 26, 2012
I just opened my filter package from Amazon and was about to replace my filter when I removed the red caps, there was a distinct pop sound and I noticed some wetness. Upon closer inspection, it was water. I quickly opened the other filter (this is a 2 pack)and the same thing...a pop & then a little water. Opened the other package (I had ordered 2 packages) and both of these did the same thing!
I've been using these filters for 7 years and have NEVER had any pop or wetness. All 4 are clearly used! My guess is someone tried to "dry" out their used filters and returned them...who does that!?! I'm really stunned!

Anyway...I called Amazon Customer Service, the rep was great, notified them of this, they are sending me replacements (yes, I'm going to try again) and they said they are going to contact their warehouse to look into this further to make sure this does not happen again. I've been ordering from Amazon for forever (like the rest of the world)and given the excellent customer service I have always received, I'm willing to give another order of filters a try! I'm giving one star because I did receive a used product and that shouldn't happen. However, even though this is unfortunate, Amazon's service is second to none and I know they will make it right.

Just beware, if there is ANY wetness and/or a pop like sound when you remove the red caps from the filter, return it immediately...it has been used.

Rate and Discover Movies