5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!
Published on August 1, 2011 by Calc

That was a bad purchase! I'm totally unhappy with this product. It never worked. My fridge kept on smelling without any change,
after a couple weeks since I bought and placed this product on the shelf in my fridge.
I feel that I would like to have my money back.
Published 3 months ago by Kikuko Springall

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool 8171398SRB Refrigerator Deodorizer (Tools & Home Improvement)
I had a smelly refrigerator that came with the apartment I am renting, so other tenants have used it. It smelled like fish, ammonia, and other horrible smells despite how many times I cleaned it or attempted to deodorize it with baking soda. Everything I put in that thing had this distinct, pungent odor when I pulled it out after awhile. The odor particularly leeched into plastic bags and containers and coffee grinds. It reeked!

While the odor didn't make my food taste bad, whenever I pulled out something I had to hold my breath to let the smell dissipate so I wouldn't loose my appetite! Even then, the odor still lingered and was still detectable. It was that bad. The odor was in the freezer too, and it made my ice have a distinct, horrible taste. I had to drink lukewarm tap water and anything in a sealed container in the refrigerator, because the odor would dissipate into open containers of liquids and spoil their taste. So, I had no ice for quite some time except if I bought a bag at the store!

I had originally heard about putting newspaper into a refrigerator because the ink contained absorbing carbon and the paper itself absorbs odor rather well, too. I did that and noticed a difference after a few hours. I then researched better options and found that activated charcoal is more effective. I looked on Amazon and found these Whirlpool activated charcoal boxes specifically designed for problems like mine. I got the box for the refrigerator and the one for the freezer. I highly recommend you do that, because air mixes into both compartments of the refrigerator.

At first I didn't notice much of a difference, but it was slightly better after the first night. I followed the directions of the freezer absorber box and changed out the ice every day. That helped, but what really helped was throwing away my old ice cube trays after a few weeks when the overall smell had dissipated, because I noticed the plastic tray itself had absorbed too much of that horrible smell. I got new trays and put them in after about 3 weeks of having both absorber boxes in the refrigerator.

It worked like a charm, and I now have a nearly odor free refrigerator! It doesn't smell like it used to at all, but it may have some more to go. It was really smelly. However, I can now put open liquids in both freezer and refrigerator compartments and they do not taste bad at all! It's amazing! If you have a stubborn odor in your refrigerator, get both the ice cube and refrigerator odor absorbers! You'll be amazed at how well they work, and I suggest throwing away your old ice cube trays because these odor absorbers cannot seem to get odors out of the trays. I highly recommend these! You will not regret this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really work, June 27, 2010
At first I was skeptical, but this little box does work. It has successfully eliminated odors in my fridge. I would wholeheartedly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective!, July 6, 2011
M. L. "M.L." (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This really works. We had really strong food smells in our fridge (for example, putting anything meaty or garlicky in it would result in a blast of unpleasant odor when we opened the door) that 5 boxes of baking soda and any number of other purported odor absorbers could not touch. This little box got rid of all the smells overnight, and has kept them away for months. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked as Intended, March 17, 2011
Michael (California, USA) - See all my reviews
My refrigerator routinely emanated terrible smells before I purchased this product. Glad that I did, because now it rarely smells at all. This deodorizer did the job, within a few hours. Plus it arrived fast. Very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars WAY better than baking soda!, June 21, 2012
We got a brand-new refrigerator, and I was shocked and horrified when it quickly became stinky from onions and who knows what else. I mean, it had a MAJOR funk to it, and a box of baking soda did NOTHING to help it. I'd seen something on TV about how charcoal works really well in refrigerators, so I looked on Amazon and found this little gem. That was a year ago, and we've hardly had any smells since then. I actually forgot that we had it (it's tucked in the back in the most inaccessible spot), and I forgot that refrigerators get stinky. Our butter has no extraneous flavors, and if we set something uncovered in the fridge for a while, it doesn't become funny tasting.

But now it's gotten where I can detect a smell in the refrigerator every now and then, so I remembered about my charcoal deodorizer and realized it's WAY past time to replace it!

I think a typical user can get much more than the stated three months of usage out of it. Maybe don't go quite as long as we have, though.

If you want to eliminate odors in your freezer, I HIGHLY recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars That was a bad purchase! I'm totally unhappy with this product, July 9, 2014
I feel that I would like to have my money back.
Prior to this using this produce I and my husband turned our fridge off completely which Is pretty new, only a few years old and
took all the food and every shelf out one by one and cleaned them under the running water and cleaned every corner of the fridge to try to take out the smell.
Am I using this product wrong way? I simply peeled the protective cover and placed it on a shelf at the middle of my fridge as the instruction says.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Stench Slayer, August 27, 2011
Slew the entrenched fridge stench that defeated the baking soda. An effective option for slaying the fridge stench ruining your feastings.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, July 21, 2013
E.S. (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Chicken breasts, eggs, fruit, and a variety of other items were sitting in my fridge for at least two days during a power outage; it literally smelled like something died in there. After trying a number of remedies I read about online, (including baking soda, bleach, coffee grounds, vanilla extract, charcoal nuggets, etc.) I took a chance on this deodorizer. Along with the Whirlpool Ice Cube and Freezer Deodorizer, it got my fridge smelling fresh again. I did allow it to run almost empty for one night, so the air could circulate and give this a chance to work.

Per the product description, this should be replaced every three months, but I find that one lasts 4-5 if the fridge doesn't have a severe odor problem to begin with, and is kept clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works very well.... but recent ..., July 17, 2014
It works very well....but recent order arrivedvwith loose charcoal dust inside the cellophane. Guess this is an amazon packing error .,,the dust got everywhere when I opened it - all over the counter and my hands. Very messy. Had,to wipe off box with a damp. So,be sure to keep it upright in case the dust falls out of the holes on top.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the Money, March 13, 2014
There was no significant benefit over baking soda using this product. Baking Soda refrigerator boxes cost $0.82 at Walmart. They are good for 30 days. These units are suppose to be good for 90 days. $0.82 x 3 = $2.46 v.s. $9.00+. In my opinion these items didn't do anything more than the boxes of Baking Soda that I had in the refrigerator and freezer prior to purchasing these. I would NOT waste the money expecting any significant results! I used the products for (3) weeks and returned them because I still had smells in the frig and freezer. Baking soda, oatmeal and vinegar (all used at one time before I came across this great product (sic)) were more effective in removing smells than this product. Now that the smells have been reduced (all prior to using this product) I'm sure baking soda alone will be more than enough to maintain a fresh smelling environment. I expected this product to rid the entire environment of any odors since the baking soda, oatmeal and vinegar combined had pretty much taken the strong odors away. I still had a lingering light odor remaining that this product did nothing to combat. Thus my conclusion that it wasn't effective and wouldn't be more effective than baking soda alone. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY EXPECTING GREAT RESULTS!

Whirlpool 8171398SRB Refrigerator Deodorizer