4.0 out of 5 stars SD Green Guy
I really like the Whirlpool Duet that I have. I believe the pictures shown by another customer are the consequence of not reading the owners manual. The manual tells you that you have to periodically run the cleaning/bleach cycle to keep the machine from having mold issues. We do it monthly and have had no problems.
Published on December 24, 2008 by SD Green Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works for a few years...
We've had a terrible experience with this washer. It actually worked fine for the first year and a half, but after that it developed a leak which has grown to about a liter per load (we use baking pans to catch most of it). We had someone out to look at it, and it turns out that detergent collects at the bottom of the door along a plastic insert, exactly where a small...
Published on June 29, 2007 by Rich Feit

1.0 out of 5 stars Whirpool Duet Washer - cleans out your wallet!, January 14, 2012
N. Propps (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
Just like other reviews, we had the dreaded error code 70/71 problem. Purchased this expensive, supposedly excellent reliability model (as rated by Consumer Reports) new from Sears and on the 4th anniversary, the washer stopped working and locked our clothes inside. Service technicians said it would be $500 plus to make a repair and hope to solve the problem with the faulty electronics....we plan to buy another brand with none of the complex electronic options. I have since read so many other consumers who had the same problem with Whirlpool and also heard about a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool; I hope it is expanded to include our model.

1/15/2012 UPDATE: Just before trashing our Duet Unit and purchasing a new non-Whirlpool replacement, I decided to strip the unit open and give it a once over myself. I knew what the technicians who inspected our machines said, and I was suspicious after reading all the problems on the Internet that this was not just a control board issue. Replacing the boards themselves means removing each wiring harness and reseating and the sporadic communications problems between the boards with error codes 70 and 71 also made me suspect poor connections. I took out each cable from their perspective control board and each from where they plugged into the various components. I then sprayed each part with electronics cleaner and reseated firmly in their correct locations while also checking all wiring for damage.

After spraying all connections and reseating the harnesses properly, the unit came back on and has so far been working normally again. No parts were replaced even though the technicians assured us the error codes meant new control boards had to be ordered...while it has been only 24 hours, the machine wouldn't even turn on before I did this and now we have been running load after load with no malfunctions.

I suggest anyone with error codes 70 or 71 try this before dropping $500 plus into new boards. Faulty connections can mimic the conditions of faulty electronics.

Hope this helps some others who have been experiencing the same horrible design defect of the Whirlpool Duet line.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well - for 6 weeks!, June 17, 2009
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
We went to our local appliance store intending to buy a different model. The salesman recommended the Whirlpool Duet washer because of its high rating and lower incidence of repair. We bought it and it worked well for 6 weeks. Then just went dead with a load inside and the door locked - no response whatsoever. After doing a Google search, I was able to find a way to open the door manually and remove my kids' baseball uniforms. Knowing our local service rep., it will probably take 1-2 weeks for repairs.

I really regret spending the money I did for a machine that only made it 6 weeks before its first failure. I am also unhappy that Whirlpool did not include instructions to open the door manually in case of electrical failure.

4.0 out of 5 stars SD Green Guy, December 24, 2008
SD Green Guy (Sioux Falls, SD) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke in 2 years!!!, November 16, 2009
SL (Chicao IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
I bought a WFW9200SQ front loader washer in Sept 2007. We were happy with our purchase, until it stopped working in Oct 2009. That fateful day my wife loaded the washer as usual and tried to power it up. But...huff... it went on strike. Too familiar with the way our computers work - I tried un-plugging the power cord and plugging it back in. Alas, the trick didnt work here and all the buttons on its nice looking console were dead altogether.

Luckily we had bought the extended warranty from the store so I called them up. The repairman showed up within a week and declared that everything seemed fine to him and he was un-sure what might be wrong with the machine. He said he will have to go by trial & error method and see what works. So he will order the front board first - try it - if it doesnt work - go back and order main circuit board - try it - if it doesnt work - go back and order the wiring harness... so on so forth. He said getting Whirlpool parts is no easy job either. (I took it with a grain of salt, I am sure he would say the same even if it was a GE washer...)

What upsets me even more is that, according to repairman the entire exercise may take 2 to 4 months!!! I find this totally un-acceptable! How can a $1000 machine that is supposed to last a life time break in 2 years? We are a 2-person household (I & wife), so our use of a washer has been very limited & gentle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
It vibrates very badly even after professional installation.
Collects water and grows mold. See my image under product pictures.
Whirlpool calls it cosmetic and wont replace it under warranty. :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks in 2 to 3 years--Good Luck with Whirlpool Customer Service, October 8, 2010
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
I purchased the duet washer and the matching dryer 3 years ago. I spent over $1000 on this washer, which worked fine for about 2 years. Then, we began getting random error codes on the display. We'd unplug it and plug it back in and that seemed to work for a while. 2 weeks ago, the error codes F70 and F71 appeared. The washer quit working altogether and locked our load of clothes inside. I was able to find a trick to resetting the system to at least get our clothes out of the water. However, nothing worked in getting this machine operational again. I called whirlpool customer service and they offered A&E Factory service as a qualified repair shop and set up a service call. The tech came out 4 days later, which is a long time, but OK if he got the machine working on the first try. He did not. He needed to order a part. In the meantime I'm out $270 and I still need to go to the laundromat. The part arrived 3 days later. 2 days after that, the tech got back out to my house and installed the part. Same day, 4 loads later, F70 pops up and the washer shuts down. I call A&E back to complain and schedule a re-call. They tell me I can't schedule another call today because my ticket's still open (!!!!). I need to call back tomorrow. So I call back the next day and they can't get someone back out until a week later. I demanded quicker service and was denied by an unhelpful rep. I explained that the tech was going to take a week to get back out to my home and would likely need to order another part, which would be another week on top of that, which was unacceptable. The rep didn't offer me anything but insincere apologies. So, I called whirlpool back to complain about A&E and they told me I was out of luck. If A&E couldn't bump up my call, there was nothing they could do to make them move any faster. I'm still waiting for next Wed (today is Fri) to have a tech come out and tell me that he needs another part. So, to sum up, don't ever buy a whirlpool ANYTHING. Other reviews on this unit have VERY similar problems. You might be lucky and have a unit that won't crash on you, but if you do need help with a defective unit, prepare for a month of laundromats and uncaring customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never had a problem, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
Maybe we've been lucky, but have had this washer since 2007. Never a problem. Does what it says on the box. Only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is that it sometimes doesn't seem to get stains out. Suspect I may need to use more pre-treatment/wash stained items more quickly. Only occasional issue is socks stuck under rubber door seal. Love the delayed start feature. Holds large duvets and even soft rugs easily, but also seems good with delicates.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could I would give it 0 stars, July 14, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
Everyone reading these reviews, do yourself a favor and never buy a whirlpoool. This Duet HT has been nothing but problems with a code popping up when I try to wash F26. The first year we got it we had to call out service. It something to do with the computer!! I'm sick of this. We paid a lot of money for this washing machine and it has been nothing but problems with mold , which I saw was a class action law suit on the washers collecting mold and causing the owners home to smell like mold and all their laundry. This washer has been nothing but a nightmare. Good luck trying to get Whirlpool to help you. They have the worst customer service I ever came across. So, again do yourself a favor, NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting....., May 21, 2014
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
I have had this washer for years and still absolutely love it! i do my regular clean out cycles and use my homemade detergent and it works beautifully so im really confused at all the negative reviews?!?! I would recommend it in a heart beat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool washer that works, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Whirlpool Duet HT : WFW9200SQ 27 Front Load Washer
I've had it for about 4 years or longer and it's been running great so far...
Got it at Sears outlet with cosmetic damage for $200.
It does not smell funny and I don't treat it. I just leave the door opened to air dry after each use.
There's no leaks. It just works. It does get a bit noisy during the spin cycle but it's minimal.
Average use is about 4 loads a week.