Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Pouch|Size: 3 Tablet|Change
Price:$5.95+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on February 21, 2012
I had been warned about this problem and have never faced it in two years of owning my HE Front Loader. I thought these products were a scam. I can attest that Mother 22 must be right. While I've never faced this problem, I also wash clothing regularly with Borax as a laundry booster or when I forget that load in the washer for a few too many hours (happens more than I should admit). So I guess Borax works for maintenance too. It has always done the trick for those stagnant clothes that just didn't get washed in time or sat in the washer too long. This stuff may work too, but Borax is just a few bucks a box and lasts a long time. (Oh, and another tip, if you have ants, mix at a 1-to-1 ration Borax and Sugar, then spread it around the perimeter of your house. The ants will take both back to their nest and never come back)
on April 29, 2014
I bought these because the washer said to. I hate that funky smell, and this works for a short time to get rid of it. However, borax is cheaper and works better. I add about 1/4 cup of powdered borax (I get it at Target for cheap) to EVERY load right with the clothes and there is no smell at all with my washer any more. It even makes my clothes cleaner without making them smell more. I'll still use the Affresh when the washer tells me to, but the borax is way better.
on August 13, 2008
We noticed an odor in our HE washer and found out about Affresh. It really worked! And since it isn't sold in stores in our area, we were happy to be able to get it from Amazon.
on March 30, 2014
Purchased a 6 pack from another retailer for less. My front load smelled bad and it was quite new. I tried this stuff and it smelled great immediately after use, but then after one or two more washes it was back to the foul smell again. I read in another review to try 20 Mule Borax. So I tried 20 Mule Borax in addition to switching to powder detergent from liquid. Now my washer has no foul smell. I would suggest not wasting your money on this overpriced product and do what I did if you have a foul smelling front load washer.
on November 23, 2014
My washer has a clean setting and this is the brand recommended. They work great. Take the odor right out of my washer. I went a long time without running the clean cycle WITH the affresh and one day I noticed a very strong odor. I popped the sample in that came with my washer and the odor was gone. Then I found this pack on Amazon and made sure to buy them so I'd have them on hand. You are supposed to run it once a month but I just wait for the first hint of odor.
on May 1, 2014
I, like others, now deeply regret buying a front-loading washing machine, for the funk that inhabits my poor husband's clothes is giving him the dreaded Old Man Stink. The culprit is the mildew that has grown to inhabit the door seals of the washing machine. One can clean this mildew in the most tedious fashion possible -- scrubbing the seals after each load for a week, running copious numbers of leachable loads, etc etc -- but you only buy yourself time until the stink reappears.

I hoped Affresh would solve my problem without the muss and fuss.

It did not. At all. You place one tablet in the drum and the tablet rolls around. Loudly. Eventually it stops rolling around. You open the door at the end of the cycle to find a chemically smell. Yay, you think! Something has occurred! You wash a load of laundry. You open the door and... Ta Da! Nothing. The stink has stunk.

Back to scrubbing and bleaching, and dreaming of my grandma's top-loading washer...
on November 5, 2014
Accomplished nothing with this product and, had much better results using dishwasher detergent, then vinegar and baking soda would not recommend purchasing. CHECK THE WEB FOR SMELLY FRONT LOADING WASHING MACHINE TO FIND ALTERNATIVE AND BETTER SOLUTIONS.
on March 12, 2015
I have used Affresh regularly once a month in my front-load Whirlpool washer for the past 15 months starting from the first month that I bought the machine and I have had absolutely no problem with any odors in the machine or in my clothes. I just throw a tablet in the drum and start the machine "clean" cycle on the first day of each month and the washer has stayed clean with no mildew and no musty odors. I don't really know how it works, but so far it has worked well for me and am very happy with the results. My neighbor had problems with odors in her machine and after I suggested that she try Affresh, she told me that the odor problem eventually cleared up, but she had to run several "clean" cycles to get her dirty machine cleaned. A single cleaning cycle on a really dirty machine with an already established odor problem will not get rid of the problem. But regular (monthly) use of Afresh seems to keep the problem from ever starting or coming back.
on May 19, 2014
I have a Kenmore HE washer that gets heavy use (including cloth diapers every other day). We don't clean the washer or leave it open - too busy. We just pop one of these in every month and never have a problem with smelly clothes or machine. I have used three of these so far and so far so good!
This seems like a cruel joke--you have to buy something to clean a WASHING machine? Really? REALLY? But...the front loaders may be sparing on water but the steel centrifuge drum somehow gets crudded up. It's either limescale (hard water) or a soap scum from detergent and hot water, or leftover liquid fabric softener, or a bacterial growth of remnants of dirt that is enough food to act as a substrate for hungry little critters to form a slippery, slimy build-up. (The dread "bio-film" which surprised me--it's not that thing they show you in sixth grade, with the blinds drawn and the boys banished to the gym for an "impromptu basketball game.")

So I put one of these tablets in the washer and let it rip according to directions. It left the steel drum squeaky-clean and shiny. You are supposed to be able to use a quart or so of white vinegar and do the same.

If you have a washer that smells bad, however, this may not help. Some washers have an issue with mold building up behind the drum. Others have gaskets that get moldy. For sure, you should leave the door open between washes and I always have done so.

These tablets will get that bio-film dissolved and washed away.