Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on July 27, 2013
The most complimentary thing I can say about this dryer is that I don't hate it as much as I've hated 'advanced energy-efficient' appliances I've had before. My #1 complaint is, tho they may be energy saving & groovily computerized, they don't actually do what they're supposed to do very well, i.e. dry clothes (or get them clean). That said, this dryer is slightly better than the previous brand new dryer we had.

If you leave the settings at their default --and you have to re-set them every single time you do a load if you want to use any other setting (more about this in a sec)-- you get clothes so damp you either must then hang them up to finish drying (which sorta defeats the main purpose of having an actual clothes 'dryer'), or put them away & end up with closet or drawer full of mold & mildew.

So, you have to change the heat settings. Every time. Every. Single. Time. If you even pause it too long you have to re-do them all time; the cycle setting at least is a knob you turn. The default setting is medium heat, no cycle signal or "Wrinkle Shield" (which you would definitely need if you use the Med heat setting, or aren't poised to yank the clothes out the instant the dryer is done). Med heat doesn't dry anything but the smallest, flimsiest cloth. You have to punch thru "Low" & "Air Dry" to get to "High." I'm honking on about this because tho most people don't have serious pain problems with hands/wrists, it's a literal (for me) & figurative pain to have to re-punch the 'touch' setting(s). They don't set with a touch either; you have to mash them with a good bit of force.

& then there's the noise; perhaps to really show how robotically computerized & futuristic the thing is, you get an incredibly loud & annoying electronic "bee boop bop beep baboobareep!" medley of tones every time you turn the thing on, a different set of screaming electro-tones when you turn it off, & other random boopy noises at other times --& you cannot turn them off. It doesn't matter whether the cycle signal is on or off; the stupid thing has to let you (& half the neighborhood) know whenever you or it does anything. I've hunted around to try & disconnect the frigging speaker so I could do laundry when the rest of the house is sleeping, but so far no luck.

If I sound l like a dinosaurian Luddite, I am a bit of one. But I do embrace lots of up-to-date things, especially if they're good for the environment/use less energy. However, I firmly believe something that proclaims itself to be 'energy efficient' & GREEN should still do what it's designed to do without you having to use it twice, or twice as long. And that computerized things shouldn't shatter the quiet with screaming electronic tones just to prove how compu-groovy-modern they are.
on August 14, 2012
Very good dryer, in 40 minutes dries a big load, and is very energy efficient, I am very satisfied with it.
on May 3, 2014
I must have gotten a lemon. Dryer was 1 yr old and suddenly - in the middle of doing several loads -the power came on but the drum wouldn't turn. Called the big box store that starts with L where I bought it - thank goodness we had the ext warranty - and so the repair guy came out and there was some electrical switch inside that had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months, I am doing laundry and the exact same thing happens again. I am not a happy camper.

Bought this because it had the hamper door which I love. My last Whirlpool dryer was over 25 yrs old when I bought this one. I hate the electronic panels and having to push the buttons to set the timer. If this thing goes belly up, I will be buying something else next time.

I hope the appliance designers are listening. Maybe the electronic push buttons look cool but they are a PITA to keep pushing just because you want the dryer on for 20 min instead of 40 min. Seriously, some guy who never does laundry must have come up with that brainstorm.