5.0 out of 5 stars Economic yet Solid Performer clad in Steel
Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:57 Mins
(Install Video Attached)

Published on May 17, 2012 by ToolTutor

2.0 out of 5 stars Short life
I really loved this microwave. It was easy to use and the functions worked well. Unfortunately, it only lasted 2.3 years. The magnatron went out, which is what makes the microwave heat food. The part costs half the price of the microwave. Now I have a really nice stainless steel cupboard! Arrgh.
Published on July 24, 2012 by Kevin

5.0 out of 5 stars Economic yet Solid Performer clad in Steel, May 17, 2012
Length:: 8:57 Mins

(Install Video Attached)

I've owned several brands of microwaves in the past including GE, Panasonic and of course Whirlpool. I fall back on Whirlpool for a single reason. I haven't had one go out on me yet. With that in mind, I chose this model because it was the most inexpensive Whirlpool cladded in Stainless Steel. Now for the review.

As far as microwaves go, you get what you pay for. This is of average price and comes with average features. It works as expected.

Likes:
--> Stainless Steel, as I said earlier, it's clad in stainless steel which is great considering the price point.
--> The recirculating vent points up. It's deceptive from the photo. The panel above the door on most models are (fixed) louvered to allow recycled are to blow into your hair. This one points it straight up so not only do you not get greasy hair, you don't have to clean the greasy louvers.
--> It's quiet. There are 2 sources of noise when operating a microwave. First, the door slams due to how the latch and catch are designed. The old one required an effort not to slam it shut. This one has plastic bits in the right places so it's quiet. It's not a soft close by any means but I not longer hear from upstairs. Second, it cooks quietly. It's not like you can hear the microwaves moving, it's just the fan noise. This one seems insulated well enough that, again, I can't hear it from upstairs.
--> One push buttons for Popcorn, Baked Potato, and Pizza. The pizza setting even asks you how many slices. Very convenient.

No Likes:
--> One touch minute buttons: My old microwave had single push minutes from 1 to 6. If I needed 2 minutes, I pushed 2 once and it starts. On this unit, I have to push 2.0.0.Start. It's 4 button pushes instead of one. The only button that is a 1 push start is +30 seconds. If I wanted 2 minutes using that button, I can push it 4 times so it'll only save me time for 30 second increments less than 2 minutes. (i.e. 1 minute is 2 button pushes of +30)
--> Stumpy. At 1.6 cu ft, it's not big by any means. This means the platter is smaller and the roof is lower. There isn't room for a little shelf like on some other models. This may or may not be an issue depending on your needs. For me, it's fine except for tall glasses. I never used the old shelf anyway but some headroom would be nice.
--> Feel. This doesn't feel high end. It only looks it. The handle is plastic underneath the steel facade. The rotating platter support is made of a lightweight plastic. The latches don't feel solid like it would be if more metal was used. I'm ok with it but for those who prefer a more solid feel, this isn't it.
--> Exhaust venting only has one filter element positioned in the middle. This isn't as efficient at pulling out greasy smoke as dual filters side by side and requires more frequent cleaning.

Overall, it's just a microwave. It does its job and it does it just fine for the price point. Mine's been in operation for about a year as of this posting.

The video attached to this review is for installation. I'll walk you through every step for a proper install. Hope it helps. For more install & project videos (and the Hi Def version of this one) as well as a list of tools used for this install, click on my name and check out my blog.

Good luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short life, July 24, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars won't buy another one, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Whirlpool WMH1163XVS WMH1163XVS Microwave Oven
I had it for 2 years and stopped working had to replace handle because it is made with cheap plastic and breaks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good microwave, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Whirlpool WMH1163XVS WMH1163XVS Microwave Oven
I have had this microwave since February 2011 and it is still working. It heats up food well. The only bad thing is the oven light has not been working. It tends to burn out within a month of a new bulb being installed. Other than that I like the microwave.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Total lemon, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Whirlpool WMH1163XVS WMH1163XVS Microwave Oven
The microwave itself is fine. I have no issues with any of the features and it appears to cook fine. My issue is with the exhaust fan. It essentially doesn't work. I can't cook anything that makes the tiniest bit of smoke without setting off my smoke detector. It's infuriating. I see from other reviews that I'm not the only one. It's really a shame because we got rid of our range hood and another microwave to install this one and it doesn't perform this basic function. I would love to replace it, but...$$. Sad.

Update 5/27/13: It's less than a month later and the microwave is now kaput. It started making a horrifying buzzing noise when I would start if. Then today it made a sound like a mini explosion inside and stopped working. Under 2 years since the purchase date. I'm furious. And now looking at the reviews from similar models and this same model in other colors, I see I am just one of many who was victimized by the garbage Whirlpool is peddling. Please take my advice and never buy anything from Whirlpool. If I could give this 0 stars, I would.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, just terrible, April 18, 2013
Scott B "scoob5555" (Kingsport, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlpool WMH1163XVS WMH1163XVS Microwave Oven
Wow, I can't express how disappointed I am with this microwave. This was installed in our new home when we bought it and I was never happy with it, but I wasn't going to spend money right off the bat to replace it. Its shortcomings are surprising given the features on almost every other microwave since 2000: no easy-start, one-touch cooking minutes! And a control panel that is more confusing than any other I've owned or seen, with unnecessary complexity. Just give me an easy 1 and 2 minute cook time.

As if that wasn't enough, after less than 8 months, the plastic around the handle broke. This is not a piece that is touched except to clean, but it cracked and part of it broke off. It's not a functional piece - it's purely cosmetic - so it's surprising that it could break, let alone in the manner it did, leaving the inside of the handle connection to the door visible from the side. When I contacted Whirlpool customer service about this, they said because it is cosmetic, it's not covered under warranty! When I helpfully pointed out that it must be a design flaw and that they should replace it, they stuck to the script saying I could schedule a "repair" but at my own expense. The sad part is that the replacement handle (the plastic cosmetic piece doesn't apparently come separately) would have the same design flaw and I could expect to replace it again(!) in the future.

So the long and short of this review: don't buy this unit or any similar Whirlpool unit because they all likely have the same design flaw. Or if you don't mind dismantling your unit's door occasionally to fix their design flaw, please feel free to buy it. You've been warned.

Rate and Discover Movies