4.0 out of 5 stars Looking Good

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined Thanksgiving
Published 1 month ago by Mary L. Herrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking Good, November 12, 2013
tech boo (laguna beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlpool WRF535SMBM 24.8 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator - Energy Star (Kitchen)
This refrigerator just arrived the other day (November 11, 2013). I'll update the stars in 6 months or a year. We had to get this brand new model because our eleven year old Samsung side by side finally died. It had been having problems for the last 4 years. So much for advanced technology being better. I'm really skeptical of refrigerator tech now, so hopefully this thing lasts 10 years before the first problem occurs. Sad that that is all to expect, just 10 years from new refrigerators.

What I like: stainless steel look, makes the kitchen look nicer. It's big, should hold as much as our last frig. French door design, makes getting into the most accessed part, the frig, easier than the side by side. The compartments are well laid out. Two veggie drawers and a large deli drawer at the bottom. Not really sure how great the deli drawer is, maybe two separate deli drawers would have been more useful. Dehumidifier (yet to test). Easy temp controls. LED lights. Energy efficient. Makes ice quickly, more quickly than the manual says it will (ice maker is in the freezer drawer).
NO Water FILTER!!! We chose this model because it doesn't have the through door water and ice dispensers. That feature is the most trouble prone area of new frigs. So eliminating that feature eliminates the #1 failing part, plus no water filters to replace or have leaking everywhere. It also adds space to the left door where the dispenser would take up room.

What I don't like: new frig reliability. I'm done with Samsung and GE appliances. Too many failures at the 2-5 year marks. Whirlpool, LG and Maytag seem to get the best reviews on quality and reliability. I'm just crossing my fingers that this thing doesn't need a new computer board, temp sensor, or have a plugged up drain in the near future. I ended up getting the max retailer warranty of 5 years.
No door alarm, shutting one door with force can push the other door open. Proper adjustment can minimize this from happening, but you have to properly adjust the feet as described in the manual.
After a week with it, I'm finding out how dirty stainless steel can get. Greasy hands are the worst.

I bought this at Lowes, BUT I could have purchased it at Best Buy, where currently for Veterans Day it is selling for $999! I just had Lowes price match to Best Buy. Not a bad bargain, just at the right time too. We ended up being without a frig for just 1 week.

I hope I can give this frig 5 stars in the distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars EASY MAINTAINENCE, December 1, 2013
I bought one of these this past week to replace my garage fridge, but out of stock at HD so will have to wait awhile. Black Friday price was great.

Main reason why I bought this was the repairman said Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid were the easiest to fix. I have a 2yr old Samsung in the kitchen that went out due to a power surge. The first 3 repairmen I called all told me the don't repair Samsung or LG's due to poor support from the factory. The guy who finally accepted said the fuse blew which caused ice to form behind the refrigeration panel. He put in a thermostat to replace the fuse system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined Thanksgiving, December 22, 2014
I loved this when it first came, but within 9 months, the freezer fan starting buzzing very loudly, and then it lost cooling. Two months and several service calls later, the problem was determined to be a manufacturer's defect, and it will be replaced. Or so they say, since instead of a few days as promised, it is almost 3 weeks without a word, and the service center is actually a telemarketer (as we found out by dialing 00 instead 01 at the end of the number), and they have absolutely no way to contact Whirlpool except by sending emails, which apparently no one reads, unless they are too overwhelmed with failing products. Every 2-3 days, we have to shut it off, and then use a hairdryer on the freezer fan, and that isn't working very well any more. It ruined Thanksgiving, and now it looks like it will ruin Christmas. Buying from Whirlpool looks to be a complete gamble, because if something goes wrong, which doesn't seem uncommon from what I see online, you are completely sunk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool WRF535SMBMB00 French Door Refrigerator failed in three weeks, January 8, 2014
I received the new refrigerator in late November, 2013 and noticed that it was not keeping the foods frozen in the freezer section before Christmas. The refrigerator section was working fine.

I called Whirlpool and was assigned a local service company to diagnose the problem. The technician determined that the compressor and the evaporator needed to be replaced. I was told these components normally fails in eight to ten years old units. Whirlpool wanted it to be repaired. The repair has been completed and I am monitoring the result.

Pros:
1. Good looking.
2. Large storage space in refrigerator section.

Cons:
1. Reliability problems.
2. The freezer section has limited storage space due to the mounting location of the compressor and other components at the bottom.
3. The big ice tray occupies storage space in the freezer section.
4. Neither egg crate nor butter dish were included.

Other:
1. The LED lighting is no more than replacing traditional light bulbs with similar rating LED bulbs.

Summary:
This is a basic French door refrigerator. It has the basic features but lacks the quality and reliability a basic refrigerator should have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, December 11, 2014
reviewer (new orleans, la USA) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed with this refrigerator. Within two years of purchase, two drawers have broken off and drain has clogged and flooded floor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately I got an extended warranty after the first repair, October 29, 2014
Stay away from Whirlpool. I have a Whirlpool Gx5fhtxvb that I bought in Jan 2013. So far I have had 3 service calls: ice maker broke, drain clogged and flooded floor, unit stopped cooling. This is the first refrigerator that I've ever had to get serviced. They used to run forever, now you can't get 2 years! Fortunately I got an extended warranty after the first repair. Unfortunately they can't provide service on the current problem of not cooling for 6 days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, September 24, 2014
Arrived after some delay. I will update on how well it works after a few months, God's willing