on December 20, 2011
I bought this because I wanted an agitator. We had trouble from the start. The washer wouldn't fill properly and the lid refused to unlock. This was before I even put clothes into it. My first load took an hour and twenty minutes to wash without the extra rinse. This isn't worth the money or hassle I returned within the first week.
on October 29, 2013
Just bought whirlpool wtw4800xq washer & I hate it. It takes twice as long to fill with water & twice as long to clean as it did with my old machine. Clothes often have to be washed a 2nd time because they're not clean enough.
I HATE the new locking lid. You can't lift the lid after starting the wash without canceling the cycle, and if you do the machine will drain itself, wasting all your water & detergent. Also, the dials don't move during the wash so you have to guess how far the cycle has progressed.
Whirlpool got everything wrong on this machine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2013
I just retired my 30-year-old GE washing machine. Because I had such good luck with that old GE washer, I was thinking of buying another washing machine from GE. I looked at many reviews though, and GE's reviews weren't that great; this machine had excellent reviews (not on this site, but over 800 reviews averaging 4.5 out of 5 stars on other sites).

I initially bought a different Whirlpool top-loading washer -- a high efficiency (HE) washer without an agitator. It had good reviews as well, but some complaints about parts of clothes not getting wet. With two young children (one being an active 7-year-old boy), this wouldn't do for me. I thought -- what if one of his many clothes stains happened to be on a spot that didn't even get wet in the machine? I watched a Whirlpool video, and even they mentioned that it's normal for that HE machine to have some dry spots. But that's not what I was looking for. So I changed my mind and got this machine.

I'm so glad I did! It was one of the least expensive machines I saw, but had some of the best reviews. I was a little unsure about it because of some comments made by others -- strange noises, inconvenient locking lid feature, etc. Well, it turns out I had nothing to worry about! I've only used it about 5 times so far but I'm very happy with it. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

-first of all, I love the manual! Sounds strange, but it's very informative and well-written. I am a single mother and thought I was going to have to pay $50 or more to have it installed. I just saw how my old washer was hooked up, read the manual, and decided to try hooking it up myself. It was very easy! Make sure to read the manual (of anything you buy). There are even tips about doing laundry, etc.

-It makes a bit different noises from my old machine, but so what? It's not very loud for a washing machine, and doesn't shake around a lot or anything.

-I love how you don't have to move the settings around if you're doing the same kind of wash as the last time. My old washer, I had to push the knob in and turn it to whatever setting I wanted, every time, and as the wash progressed, the knob moved. This one, the knobs stay put; there are lights which let me know where the washer is in its cycle (rinse, spin, done, etc.).

-There are plenty of settings. I'm sure fancy washers have more options, but I can't even imagine what I'd need them for, and I'm sure that means more can go wrong. With my old washer, I usually just used the same setting 90% of the time anyway!

-The spin cycle works well

-I have washed a couple of items of clothing with set-in stains -- for example, a white shirt with dark pink stains that was sitting around for a few days (I didn't know it was stained!). I pre-treated it with my regular stain pre-treater, and washed it. I was very surprised that the stains actually came out the first time! All of the clothes seem to be very clean when they come out.

-The "warm" water setting works for me! I'm not sure how the other reviewer thought that the warm setting didn't work -- he/she must've felt the water coming into the washer, I'm assuming. But, the cold and hot water come in separately, not at the same time -- so if you put your hand in as it's filling up, you'll feel cold water; but then a few seconds later you'll feel quite warm water; them cold again; and on and on. In the end, the water is warm. If warmer water is wanted, there is a "hot" water setting also (and cold, of course, and I think even "cool").

-The lid locks which seems to be a safety feature on all new machines (from what I've seen). This is not a big deal at all! The lid doesn't lock while it's filling; only when it starts washing. If you want to stop it, you can, and it will unlock in the middle of the cycle.

-The capacity (in cu. ft.) isn't as big as some washers so I was a bit worried about that, but I can fit a lot of clothes in there (without over-packing it)! It could easily do a sleeping bag, or comforter, or a large load of clothes. It's plenty big enough.

-there's an "extra rinse" setting which I like, to make sure the detergent is all rinsed out

-there are the regular places to put in bleach and fabric softener

I can't think of anything else to say about it -- it has been washing my clothes very well and I'm very happy with it. I'm try to remember to post another review after I've had it longer.

***UPDATE***

I've now had and been using this washer for a few weeks. I'm still very happy with my purchase! I wanted to add one thing:

-Twice, after I started the wash, I left to do other things and a few hours I came back and the wash hadn't actually started yet! I'm not sure what happened. I'm going to pay more attention to that next time. The "sensing" light was lit, and the water had filled and everything, but then it just sat there. At this point, I'm just thinking about possibilities; one is that I didn't press the button for it to start, but I don't think that can be it because it did light up, fill with water and the "sensing" button lit up. Another possibility is that after starting the wash cycle, I left it too long before closing the lid -- maybe I was gathering up a few extra laundry items and then once I closed the lid (when the water had filled up and all clothes were in the wash), it didn't progress and start/continue the cycle because it had timed out or something. I'm going to read the manual and/or contact Whirlpool to figure out what's going on. However, I've used it many times and that's only happened twice (not in a row). When that did happen, all I did was push the button for it to start, and it did start (or re-start) the cycle. No big deal except that both times I had gone down expecting to put clean clothes in the dryer, only to find out they hadn't even been washed yet.

I'll post another update once I figure out that minor problem.

*** 2nd UPDATE ***

I think I figured out the problem. If the lid is left open after the water is done filling, the machine seems to automatically pause, so if you're still adding clothes or want them to soak a bit before washing , just make sure to press the start button again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 30, 2013
Bought this machine in March 2012 from a big box store. It worked great for almost 10 months and then one day I go to remove a load and it hadn't washed or spun. It still had a little over 2 months on the warranty at the time. 4 months and 7 repair visits later (replaced the harness and a capacitor - not fixed) it is still not fixed and NOW out of warranty. It needs a shifter, a motor and possibly a control board. Over 400 dollars in parts. The machine cost $435. Whirlpool did grant me a concession on the parts but I was on the hook for labor. I don't think so. Wrote it off and put that $$$ dollars toward a Speed Queen 432. I'll never buy another Whirlpool (or maytag since they are the same company)
on June 12, 2013
This washer lasted 20 months before it started grinding and stopped working. I would not buy this piece of junk. I only do 4-5 loads of laundry a week. Save your money. I did not buy this on Amazon.
on October 16, 2013
I just retired my 30-year-old GE washing machine. Because I had such good luck with that old GE washer, I was thinking of buying another washing machine from GE. I looked at many reviews though, and GE's reviews weren't that great; this machine had excellent reviews (not on this site, but over 1000 reviews averaging more than 4 OUT OF 5 STARS in an average of about 1000 REVIEWS on other sites (check out this link: [...] --it's strange that people reviewing on Amazon seem to be giving poorer reviews).

-The spin cycle works well

-there are the regular places to put in bleach and fabric softener

***UPDATE***

I'll post another update once I figure out that minor problem.

*** 2nd UPDATE ***

I think I figured out the problem. If the lid is left open after the water is done filling, the machine seems to automatically pause, so if you're still adding clothes or want them to soak a bit before washing, just make sure to press the start button again.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2012
If you enjoy random holes in your clothes than this is the perfect machine...ever since we purchased this machine 2 years ago our clothes have multiple holes in our clothes due to this stupid machine. I would not recommend this machine...the manual states this could be do to over stuff the machine....well...I don't do that. I never ever had problems with holes in my clothes from washing... yes from old clothes but never ripping from the washer..don't buy this machine unless you enjoy random holes and ruined clothes.. I would give this a minus 5 if I could
on November 30, 2013
This is my letter to Whirlpool:
REFERENCE: Washer Model WTW4800XQ4

I’m writing to let you know that I thoroughly dislike your washer! My old Kenmore (which I understand was also a Whirlpool and was 22 years old before its demise) used to have options like Hot water (completely hot and not warm water being added without my permission) and also the ability to change fill levels without having the ENTIRE existing water being drained from the tub!

Today I wanted to change fill levels from Small to Medium after I saw that I had too many items for a Small level. When I paused the machine so that I could change fill levels, the entire dang tub of so-called hot water DRAINED COMPLETELY – which was a waste of water and energy (energy to heat the water) and I had no way of stopping its drainage!

In addition, with the initial water fill of your WTW4800XQ4, the water drains through the tub’s small drain holes and it appears that my water is being wasted. My old Kenmore filled without having the water drain through those small holes in the tub.

I also liked the Kenmore option of being able to open the lid while the clothes were being washed (agitated) to see if I added enough detergent. I can no longer do this with your WTW4800XQ4.

My clothes also seem not as “clean” as before when I used my Kenmore. I feel that your WTW4800XQ4 is not agitating the clothes around enough to clean heavily-soiled items in my wash. I am using the same quantity and quality of detergent, so this is not an issue – not to mention the fact that I have been washing clothes for the past 63 years of my life, so I know how to use a washing machine and I am savvy with detergent use!

The entire experience with your WTW4800XQ4 is disgusting and I regret buying your product. You have really gone downhill in product quality and features! There is no doubt in my mind that you have changed your washer’s options as a consequence of bottom-line profits. Why else would you change a once-good product into a frustrating piece of machinery?
on May 25, 2013
I'm surprised to read all the poor reviews on this washer. I love it. We've had it about three months, and I do at least one or two loads of laundry every day. Clothes come clean and smell great, even with extra-large loads. In short, it does everything a washing machine is supposed to do.

Yes, the lid locks a few minutes after the cycle begins. So get all the clothes you want to wash in the washer before you close the lid. Yes, it makes some different sounds with the load balancing feature. But honestly not the least bit bothersome. Has enough cycle options and water temp options to do every kind of laundry I can think of. Couldn't be happier.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2012
I bought this model 14 months ago. The machine quit working this morning. It won't spin. Sounds like the gears are stripped. I purchased the model from Lowe's, but because it has been more that a year they won't do anything. I'll be calling Whirlpool on Monday to see if they will do anything. I've worked on washing machines before. Many times. I've replaced motors, drives and some other minor parts. If you buy this model, I'd recommend getting an extended warranty and include that in your pricing option.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations