5.0 out of 5 stars amazing machine, what-up, haters?
Published on March 18, 2012 by mom in michigan

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product
Published on May 13, 2011 by laura7

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing machine, what-up, haters?, March 18, 2012
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW5600XW Cabrio 3.6 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer - Energy Star (Kitchen)
I'm not sure what kind of weird industrial malfeasance is going on, but when I was doing research, it was impossible to find any positive reviews for washers. My 20+ year old washer that came with the house died, and I replaced it with this after consulting friends in the white goods industry, reading all the reviews mainly posted by haterz, and consumers reports. I was nervous. I do a lot of laundry, what with a toddler in cloth diapers and a medically fragile child. My cloth diapers have only been this clean after sun-bleaching all day. My fragile kid's stuff is like new! I broke a glass in the bathroom and all the bathmats came out sparkling. AND the baby got a stomach flu (ew). Everything came out clean on the first wash. Winter coats, scuffed up sneakers, flannel sheets, fleece throws, washrags from the kitchen, huge cotton rag rugs, sweaters (wool and cotton)- super clean! And, unlike frontloaders, this takes about the same amount of time as a traditional toploader (or half the amount of time as a front loader), you CAN open the lid mid-cycle (hit the pause button), and it doesn't eat baby socks and require a service call to pull em out of the drum liner.

I _LOVE_ this machine. It requires different detergent and different washing strategies as traditional washers, but the outcome is superior, contrary to my skepticism and all the haterz. Haterz gonna hate, but my kids' dipes are super clean!! YAY!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ten times better than my old Kenmore!, February 20, 2011
I bought the Cabrio (WTW5640) at Lowe's after my 30-year-old Kenmore bit the dust. I can't believe how well it cleans! It does sound way different than a washer with an agitator. The cycles are a little bit longer, but boy, does it clean! My winter jacket has never looked better. It works really well on stains, too. Especially blood. Not to be gross, but ladies - you know what I mean. I have also washed throw blankets that the damned cat has barfed on, and they've come out as clean as a whistle. The only drawback - if you can call it that - is if you're short you may have trouble reaching into the washer. It's pretty deep. I've had it for just over a month now and am very pleased. I also got the matching dryer, but come on - a dryer is pretty much a dryer. Although it does have a light inside so you can see every last sock in there. All in all, I'm glad I went ahead and spent the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, March 3, 2011
My previous washer was a 17 y.o. Whirlpool that was still running so I was hesistant to replace. But my beloved 10 y.o. dishwasher died and my 12 y.o. dryer, while it still worked, the timer function was broken (this can't be fixed) and the only temperature setting still working was high. The dryer would run for hours if you did not manually stop it. I was feeling a little superstitious (things coming in 3s and all that), so I decided to replace all three at once. I needed something fairly compact but with a big capacity, quiet, efficient, reliable and reasonably priced. Plus, I would only replace a working machine with an Energy star rated machine. My laundry area is essentially a hallway off the kitchen and mudroom. I don't have the space for the gorgeous and ridiculously expensive front loaders. I've had this machine about a week and so far, so far. The capacity is great but the machine itself is compact, even smaller than my old washer, a definite plus. I could do without the electronic controls, but they are pretty, which is nice as the machine is visible. It's done a great job thus far on our laundry, and we do several loads of laundry a week. It's fairly quiet but not as quiet as I would like. If it were quieter, I'd give it 5 stars. The price was definitely right - around $500 with a rebate. Time will tell how reliable it is. I know it won't last 17 years because they just don't make machines like that anymore, but if I get 7-8 good years, I'll be pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product, May 13, 2011
I bought the cabrio washer and dryer in October 2009. While the dryer was under warranty the tab on the door broke. After 18 months the control panel on the washer went the repair cost nearly 200.00. I called Whirlpool for help, I explained that I know they are having trouble with this machine, I asked if they could split the repair, pay for the parts, any assistance at all. They not only refused but they said it was perfectly acceptable for an appliance only 18 months old and costing nearly 1,000.00 to have a major failure. The tech told me that the U joint is also failing and I will need to repair that soon also. That repair costs almost 400.00. Needless to say I will need to replace a washer that is not even two years old. I will never buy another Whirlpool product. The quality is beyond poor and their customer service is awful. Don't buy this machine and if you already did; buy the extended warranty, you'll need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Peformance, High Efficiency, September 22, 2010
My wife and I were going to get a HE front loader, but the price and smaller footprint of this model were too attractive. After 3 months, I can say the following:

Pros:
--Energy use is almost nil!
--Clothes get pretty clean, but quite not as clean as a good front loader, which are also more expensive
--Less wear on clothes than a traditional top loader with an agitator
--Spin cycle gets clothes extremely dry
--Has been reliable (but admittedly 3 months is a very short window).

Cons:
--Cycles takes some getting used to. Read the manual so you know what water setting to use on certain loads--otherwise the clothes just spin around half-submerged without rotating positions. If you want clothes to really soak use the bulky items selector.
--Higher spin speed means clothes come out a little more wrinkled from spin cycle

Overall, we are happy with our purchase. We have not had the reliability problems stated in other reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best washer we've ever owned, October 4, 2013
I have to side with the people that love this machine for it's the best washing machine we've owned in our 35-year-old household. It does a great job on clothes, especially whites using the white cycle; they've never looked better. The accompanying dryer is just as good.

We've owned our machine 3 years, bought it new, and have never had service on it. It does 4-5 loads of laundry a week, usually on two different days, and has never failed. Since we converted from the old mechanically-driven washer whose tub was full of water to this electronic model that uses only a few gallons of water, there was a learning curve. We found you cannot overload this washer; indeed it works best with small loads. You have to follow the instructions in the accompanying booklet and do what it tells you to do. You have to leave the "eye" open at the bottom of the tank if you want the laundry to come out well.

While I can understand some of the people here than complain about breakdowns -- we also bought a Whirlpool refrigerator the same time we bought this washer and dryer and had to have it repaired once -- I cannot understand the people who say this is a piece of junk and/or doesn't work well. Our experience is exactly the opposite. This machine not only works well, it works 10 times better than any we've ever owned -- providing you use the correct detergent, fabric softerner and bleach and use the appropriate amounts and providing you adhere to the instructions Whirlpool gives in the manual.

One other thing: we did a major home improvement three years ago and switched all our major appliances to water- and electricity-saving models at the time. Primarily because of this washer, our water bill went down about 25 percent in a period where our municipality raised our rates. Our electrical bill also declined every year since we redid our appliances. We did not add a new furnace at the time (we live in Michigan where a furnace is a necessity) and in fact own a 50-year-old furnace that is about as inefficient as possible.

So here's a BIG vote of confidence for this machine that works wonderfully in our household. If you are having trouble getting laundry clean with yours, I'd recommend you read your owner's manual and follow the instructions, then try again. And DON'T OVERLOAD the thing since that could force water into the electronics inside the cylinder. This machine works best with small loads, so cut your loads in half if you are washing a lot of clothers all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont listen to the bad reviews, July 21, 2011
this washer is awesome and the dryer is even better. clothes are remarkably clean. but be careful, this washer works so good. my wife had an autographed shirt that had been washed numerous times at her moms house. we bought this set and after one use it pretty much washed out the signatures lol. clothes are extremely clean and we could not be happier. as for the longetivity of the machines, i will update, although i bought the extended warranty from lowes for an additional 4 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from Whirlpool Cabrio... didn't last 3 years, December 27, 2013
Gary M. Diana (Henrietta, NY United States) - See all my reviews
We relied on consumer reports as the primary source for a recommendation on this washer. Just under two years old, it started making a noise, which suddenly went away. Then one day the machine would not spin and drain, and we could not decipher the error code into anything useful. I turned the machine over to find that the drive belt was half-on/half off the pulley on the drive motor. This caused the belt to ride against the belt guard and wear right through it. I removed the belt and determined that the cause of the problem was that the large pulley on the drum was loose. For some reason the nut which holds that pulley on was slightly loose, causing the pulley to wobble. Not sure why they didn't use some loctite on that nut. I put everything back together and tightened the nut. No problems and I checked it a month later, everything was still good. Fast forward to last week, when the machine was not yet 3 years old. Same thing, washer would not spin and drain. Tipped machine over to find that the belt had fallen off, the drum pulley was again loose. But this time the belt had damaged the pulley on the motor. I figured, no problem, just order a new pulley. Well you can buy just the pulley on the drum, but the pulley on the motor is part of the motor, it cannot be ordered by itself. The cheapest I could find the motor online was $250. We decided to cut our loses and buy a new machine. We will NEVER buy another whirlpool appliance (or anyone else's by the same manufacturer, i.e. maytag). Our last kenmore washer lasted 23 years. Oh but it had an agitator and wasn't listed as "HE" (High Efficiency), so I suppose the environmentalists would get the dry heaves thinking about the impact of that washer on the environment. But it was useful for 23 years. Now this "HIgh Efficiency" whirlpool is headed for the recycling pile. Sorry, I think this hurts the environment more than an appliance which just works year after year. Yep, they took a design that worked and now we have energy/water efficient washers that don't last very long and are so expensive to repair that the solution is to just buy a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the Manual, and it's perfect, July 14, 2011
i read lots of reviews on washers before choosing this one. and kept in mind that usually only disgruntled people write reviews. if the item works as described, most people won't take the time to tell you. but i will :)

it is VERY different from an older washer. no agitator means it sounds funny. it definitely needs HE laundry soap, if you add too much, it doesn't rinse out of the dispenser and will leave some on your clothes - easy solution, don't add too much or choose 2nd rinse if you feel you need it.

luckily my sister told me about the "quick wash" option. QUICK WASH IS ONLY FOR A FEW CLOTHES, if you put in too many, it turns itself off. would be VERY discouraging to come back in half an hour and it didn't even wash - solution, don't lie to it, if you have a lot of clothes tell it.

another bonus the low water usage and great spin cycle means the dryer takes less time.

however, i haven't had it long enough to experience any customer service or repair issues, so.... keeping fingers crossed

*********************************************************

update August 2013

Washer takes a LOT of effort on my part.
- I have to wash black clothes without anything else or there is too much lint.
- I have to turn pants inside out or I notice lint clusters on them.
- I ALWAYS have to use second rinse. There is no such thing as a "quick wash".
- The spin cycle is so great that clothes come out wrinkled.
- I have to stack clothes in it carefully. I have discovered that if I stack them around the edges and leave the center clear, it seems to do a better job.
- I will have to sand and stop the rusting that is occurring from adding bleach in the bleach dispenser.

Overall, I am not happy with the washer :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Cabrio Un-washer, November 9, 2013
This is possibly the most poorly performing washer of all time. I have had mine for 3.5 years. I follow the instructions to the letter. It broke under warranty 2 weeks after purchase. It would not wash, would get to the wash cycle and stop. It was repaired, and has "worked" since then.
I agree with other reviewers that items do not come out clean. I resorted to using pre-soak (no real soaking) bulky setting with heavy soil setting and extra rinse. Even with that, things are marginally washed. I use bleach for whites, but that doesn't help. Also, a load of laundry can take 90 minutes. On other settings, I have also had things come out with dry spots, as others have noted.
Today, my new Speed Queen washer arrived. I'm washing everything that is washable. The difference is remarkable. Things are CLEAN. The only thing I miss about the Cabrio is the cute little signal song at the end.
I am going to give the Cabrio away, it would be wrong to sell it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›