4.0 out of 5 stars Great washer for large family
Published on November 22, 2011 by Amazon Customer

Published on August 1, 2010 by T. Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great washer for large family, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
I had done months and months of research before deciding that the 5.2 cubic feet Whirlpool Cabrio would be our next washing machine. I knew I wanted a large capacity machine for our family of eight, and I also discovered that I preferred a top loader for many, many reasons. I hesitantly decided to go with the top-load HE, and ultimately the Cabrio, despite mixed reviews online.

First of all, it is a super quiet machine! I live in a very small house with the laundry just off the kitchen, and I can never even tell if it is on or not without looking. It holds and washes approximately three times as much as my old agitator washer did. It can literally handle at least 12 pairs of kids' play jeans with no problem. Everything comes out clean, fresh, and spun almost dry (if that is the spin speed I select). I do have to pay attention to the types of materials (denim? towels? sheets?) going into a load, the cycle I select, detergent and additives I use I truly feel the science and thought behind doing each load is totally worth it to save so much time, energy, and resources in the process!

It also works quite amazingly for my cloth diapers, even with hard water and then just as well after we added a water softener. I do a quick wash on cold with all natural, diaper-safe additive specially formulated for my hard water. Then I run a cycle with HOT water on the towels setting (because it uses the most water), a small amount of diaper detergent, and highest speed spin cycle with an extra rinse selected. Finally, I run one more quick wash cycle on cold with no detergent in place of an extra rinse. Yes, that takes a lot of time, but it uses no more water than a traditional agitator machine would in filling the basin all the way up several times. Once a month, I soak/strip all of my diapers in the "wash machine with affresh" cycle and Funk Rock soak.

I have and will continue to recommend this machine to friends, especially those with a lot of laundry to do. It has cut my time doing laundry in half or more! It also easily washes king sized comforters or a load of 15 full sized towels. It did have a slight learning curve for me to figure out what loads need liquid (oil-based stains), and what loads need powder (organic stains). I also know which loads will need a boost of oxiclean. But after reading the manual and paying attention to how my clothes look before putting them in the dryer, I have got to say that I have got a system that works for our house and everything is clean and fresh and done in half the time!

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't spend the money - it smells and its tough on the clothes!, August 1, 2010
T. Sullivan (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
I thought I did a pretty thorough job looking for a washer that would be large enough to help me do laundry for my family of five, but also HE and efficient. I wound up spending my money on the Cabrio because of Whirlpool's reputation and because I had read some great reviews. I've had it for three weeks and I can't explain how much it smells. I've had a Whirlpool Duet front loader that would smell like mildew after about 9 or 10 washes. This smells like some type of plastic or sulphur and it is so strong it smells up the whole laundry room and this is after every load. We've run the Affresh and Tide cleaners as well as bleach through it which helps temporarily but after you do another load of laundry, that terrible smell comes back. All Whirlpool has to say about this is to keep washing it, but it is impractical to spend money washing this thing every three days.

I think it gets the clothes clean okay, but its pretty hard on them. I've noticed a lot of loose threads on my towels and clothes since using this washer, so I wouldn't trust it for your gentles. Bottom line: If I could get rid of this washer, I would. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to do so. So I spent a ton of money for a machine that makes my whole laundry room reek after any use. Luckily it doesn't make the clothes smell yet - maybe because we take them out right away, but my laundry room is on the second floor and now I have to keep the door closed to keep the odor in.

Honestly, the washer looks really cool, but it smells really bad. Don't spend the money on this washer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
I purchased this washer because of it's large interior and eco friendly features. It uses very little water and detergent, clothes look and smell clean and fresh. My washer smells fresh also but I leave the lid open when I'm not using it. Buzzer only works when I select it. Clothing comes out barely damp and dries quickly. King size comforter went in with room to spare. Use only HE detergent in the right quantity, the right cycle, read the manual (4 or 5 pages). Piece of cake!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cabrio is getting things done, August 26, 2010
We also purchased the Cabrio set after a long debate on front loaders. The first item I washed was our king size comforter and it really didn't look clean. It smelled clean but was still covered in cat hair. I know the old washer would have done the same thing. The next load was full of my son's clothing. I did pre-treat as I normally do with a product that works well. These items were covered in food, dirt and everything else a two year old can get into. I have read many reviews and was wondering what would happen. Sure enough each item was clean. I can honestly say that my clothing smells better than it ever has. I'm shocked because I'm using less detergent and water. I'm still waiting to see what happens over time but for now I love it. It has cut my washing time in half and is getting things clean. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five, it gives off a lot of noise. Also, I haven't figured out how to turn off the buzzer and this is a pain during nap time. Load after load my washer is doing it's job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT clean clothes!!, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
Purchased this washer after lots of turmoil over the front loader vs. top loader debate. I loved the super large capacity for my family of five, but that is the only good point about this machine. The clothes came out dirty! It was prety bad when even my husband commented on the way the clothes still looked dirty..... I tried this washer for 3 weeks, making all types of adjustments with cycles, detergent,load size, etc. in an attempt to somehow get clean clothes - but nothing helped - it just simply does not get them clean. Very disappointing for "new technology" - my 15 year old agitator was far superior! I have finally given up and have exchanged this machine for a front loader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good USA quality, July 23, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
After reading the initial reviews for this design of machine, I was somewhat anxious about buying one. However, a friend of mine sells appliances and assured me of the quality, but warned that you could not use this like our old one. My wife and I are very happy with the Cabrio 7600. My suggestion is that folks carefully read the manual and follow the instructions specifically. This is not your moms washing machine! Having kept an open mind about using an energy saving product will result in both savings and clean clothes! And...it's designed, engineered and made in the USA!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this washer, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
Similar to other people who have had problems and have had them for awhile. We bought this because it has huge capacity. That's about it. Beyond that it doesn't do as good a job at washing clothes as a standard agitator machine does. And it can be hard on clothes due to the spin speed to extract water.

We've had this for three years. The first machine lasted one week. The company we bought it from was kind enough to replace it immediately. Whirlpool did nothing.

Now the replacement machine has died. I did all the trouble shooting to avoid a $500 repair visit. Of course the problem was the "brain" of this wonderful device which is only $186 dollars plus tax. Other common issues are the rotor position sensor (kit $93).

Bottom line: It's cheap Chinese junk engineering and quality that's grossly overpriced. Go elsewhere, save your sanity.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!, October 3, 2010
I am writing due to the piece of crap Cabrio we purchased exactly 4 years ago this week:
This was the review I wrote after having this piece of crap one month:
I bought the Cabrio on 10/9/06 and by 10/23/06 it was not working properly. I contacted Whirlpool on 11/9/06 and they informed me that they needed to send a repairman out. It has several problems. The load is out of balance (UL) or I get an error "F51" every single time I try to wash a load. My husband and I are the only ones in our household so the machine is not abused (By teenagers etc). The repairman was at our house for 3 1/2 hours on 11/14/06. He ordered a wiring harness, a computer board and a censor for this 1 MONTH OLD MACHINE. I called Whirlpool in frustation simply asking them to take this LEMON back. They offered nothing and they were quite rude in the process. They said my only option was to have my machine repaired....and so the circle begins.
Our last set was a Maytag and we had the set (still are using the dryer) for over 12 years. Boy how we regret going to Whirlpool. Please take my advice and SAVE YOUR MONEY. I would hate for anyone to go through what Whirlpool has put us through.
BTW...my BRAND NEW machine is sitting idle until the repairman can come out IN A WEEK (for another 3 1/2 hours) to put in these parts that he HOPES will work.
UPDATE:
It is now exactly 4 years later and the only reason I suffer with this machine is due to the fact we PAID SOOOO MUCH MONEY FOR IT!!
The front is now rusted out!!! YES, RUSTED OUT!! And, it takes me about a day to wash ONE LOAD of Laundry...I get an "F1" (I believe it should be FU) about 4 times at the beginning of a load and then when it goes to rinse I get an F1 again approximately 3 times!! Sometimes I have to start from scratch with an entirely different setting.
The only satisfaction I've gotten over the past 4 years is writing horrible reviews on your product and making sure everyone I talk to about laundry (and it's a lot more times than any normal person should have to talk about laundry!!) how they should NEVER spend a dime on a whirlpool!
This is an absolute piece of crap and I cannot believe you have never done a thing to rectify this situation!!
So sad that you could have and should have taken care of this FOUR YEARS Ago!
When my husband calls your useless 800 number he just gets sent around in a big circle and then is told you are CLOSED.
I will never buy another Whirl pool product as long as I live!!
Please do something about this piece of crap taking up space in my laundry room and BEEPING at me ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still enjoying it, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
I live in a big house but I still like it quiet with the laundry just off the kitchen

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 2.5 years - Horrible Whirlpool customer service, June 21, 2013
This review is from: Whirlpool WTW7600XW 27 5.2 cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer -White
Bought it October 2010, started giving error codes F51 and F52. A&E technician mentioned that it will take at least $500 and perhaps $800 to repair. Called up Whirlpool customer service, got through after 15 minutes, talked with someone who transferred to a specialty department which did not have any option to talk to a representative. Then tried to contact on chat, the person mentions that there was an issue with older models and not this one and Whirlpool will not do anything. When I asked what they had fixed in this model, did not mention anything specific. Now I'm stuck with this lemon of a washer.

There are websites devoted to F51 error code on this model - http://cabriof51error.blogspot.com