This book epitimizes the old saying that "truth is stranger than fiction". The Butcher banking scandal rocked all of east Tennessee and the entire banking world. The precursor to the banking scandals of the last decade...this is a story which has to be read, remembered, and should be required reading in every business school in the world! Lea is a 5 star author!
Published on December 17, 2011 by S. Loy

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it's not better!
Published on June 22, 2001 by Sam L. Clapp

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it's not better!, June 22, 2001
Sam L. Clapp (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
Sandra Lea's book is--at times--entertaining and informative. It certainly has the veneer of believablilty to those of us who lived through the collapse of the banking empire of Jake and CH Butcher back in the early '80's. There are NO sources cited, however--no notes, no references, no biliography, nothing--that might lend this book some historical credibility. Clearly, much of the book's material comes from court records--I can't fathom that anyone would speak so stiltedly to another human being in an interview--but which court? Whose trial? The book is packed with essentialy unusable information from a research standpoint, because none of it is backed up with hard evidence. Who is this Sandra Lea? She has not included anything in the book that might establish her credentials. Why has she written this book? Is she a financial researcher? A local historian? A former depositor with a personal vendetta?
Worse, Lea's writing jumps through the history it discloses most haphazardly. First it's 1973, then 1982, then 1984. We read passages from before the 1982 World's Fair, then the subsequent fall of the Butchers in 83 and 84, then jump back to have a scene of Jake wooing exhibitors for the Fair. It's as if she never had an editor look over the work, as if she simply wrote down everything she found out. It's such a SHAME, too! The story is so interesting, so naturally dramatic on its own, that, written well, this book could be of interest to everyone in the US, rather than merely the targeted local Tennessee population that its typesetting, printing, and binding belie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blockbuster chocked full of TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!, December 17, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Whirlwind -- WOW, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
Bought the book for a birthday present. It arrived earlier than I expected. The book tells a very interesting story and the person I bought it for is really enjoying it. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF you want to know the low down on Jake and his family, this book tells what really happened., June 21, 2013
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
Jake Butcher and his brother, C.H., were total crooks. Ms. Lea did a grand service by writing about the crimes they committed. Both men should have been put under the jail.

Old C.H. went on to his reware, but Jake continues to live off the cash he stole from "widder women." Unless you were one of the people he defrauded, you can never quite understand how evil he is.

Eveyone should read this book and ask, "How did these men get total control of a town?"

Sandra's skill at research cannot be matched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
This book is awesome. It is a great history of the rise and fall of the Butcher family. I personally hate that the Butcher family was involved in this scandal, but the book is an excellent history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
This Book was a gift for my Grandson, He was very impressed due to the fact that the book was autographed by the Author. We are pleased with the purchase.

Martha McSween

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Factual Yarn., September 11, 2008
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
I found the book to be quite informative and well written with an eye to facts and research. I think the author took a dry topic and gave it excitement and history for those of us who were wee tots during the Butcher Era.

Fabian

2.0 out of 5 stars Whirlwind, February 22, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
I agree with the previous reviewer. Where was the editor? And not all of the author's information is correct. Lincoln Memorial University's old gym is Mary E. Mars gym and the new arena is named the Tex Turner Arena - neither named for the Butcher's. This is an incredible story as I remember the rise and fall of this family - however, the Knoxville News Sentinel's reports were better written and more accurate than this book and that's a shame. The book is not inexpensive, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great informational resource, April 29, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal (Hardcover)
Frankly, I feel I just have to dispute the above negative review(s).
I have severe reservations about writing a public review myself, but having re-read the book a second time, I simply feel it is my civic duty at this point to do so. I just cannot justifiably let this go without investing my own 2˘ into the pot. The review that I most question was OBVIOUSLY made by someone who has a personal interest in this ONGOING saga, and who also OBVIOUSLY has a personal interest in discrediting this author's integrity. To each his own, I guess... We all have our opinions. Some of us are just a bit more objective than others about this "situation" involving these present-day ECONOMIC TERRORISTS. Yes, I said it - ECONOMIC TERRORISTS!!! That's all they are. C.H. Butcher may be dead and gone, but some of the remaining characters are still on the prowl among us. This is something everyone in America should be aware of... that there ARE enemies among us... and these smooth-talking people, with thier corruption, contempt, and total disregard for the law and all moral standards (not to mention thier ***continuing*** antics) cost us ALL in the long run. How many more VICTIMS must lose thier life savings to these guys before they are finally stopped? How many more innocent "investors" must be stomped on before someone stomps back? This book is an education to all about the true evils that lurk among us. True, "Whirlwind" is not Stephen King fiction... its not supposed to be.... its not intended as entertainment... This is a ***real life*** horror story. There are no talking aardvarks or child ghosts with death bells ... These people are merely real-life "sub-human" rodents with real names and real faces and real plans to take care of themselves financially at the expense of ANYONE who happens to have something they desire to take for their own.
I personally found the book to be a WONDERFUL informational resource. I could honestly care less what was named after who, but the details of the ***actual financial scandals*** (which is, after all, what the book is about) add up to MY OWN research of the subject 120%. ECONOMIC TERRORISM. The information in this book has MORE than assisted me in my own research and involvement with this particular subject, and I have absolutely NO complaints about it, whatsoever. I have read the book word-for-word, page-by-page and concept-for-concept. Twice. I have done my own research and the integrity of this book is dead on. So there were a few mistakes overlooked by the editor. So what? The information, research and knowledge contained within the covers is outstanding!!!... regardless of any typos or unintentional editorial omissions. So it jumps back and forth between timelines... Again... so what? I see no other possible way to have conveyed this story in any other manner that would have been any more "understandable" to the general public. Joe Q. Public is exactly who these people target. There are so many 100's of facets to this story that it just wouldn't make any sense at all if written in any other way. Its not a game, but a story of how these people literally TERRORIZED the American financial system (and still do). The important FACTS of the matter are reittereated when necessary, and the storyline "rewound" when needed. Every chapter, every sentence, every word speaks TRUTH. This TRUTH is hard to understand unless one truly understands the players, the timeline and the DETAILS. It simply HAD to be written the way it was to get the understanding of the characters involved. Without this understanding, the book would be utterly useless.
I would LOVE to see a sequel someday soon. I can't wait to see what they might be up to now. Well done, Sandra. Keep the information coming.

Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal
Whirlwind: The Butcher Banking Scandal by Sandra Lea (Hardcover - December 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $29.97