Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Whiskey Rebellion
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 8, 2011
This offering from author, Liliana Hart, is a real charmer.

Engaging, quirky, and humorously cursed with bad luck, history teacher turned detective, Addison Holmes (not to be confused with Sherlock or Katie), has to roll with the punches as she solves the mystery of her high school principal's apparent murder in the alley behind a seedy strip club. But the principal's death proves to be only the tip of the investigative iceberg. There are more dead bodies in her future

Holmes is an exceedingly likeable character who manages to get herself into all sorts of unusual "situations." Hart's heroine smacks of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum or Lois Greiman's Chrissy McMullen. The plot moves along at a good clip. (If you read a lot, you can probably read this book in an afternoon.) And there are a number of "laugh out loud" moments throughout the book.

In all honestly, there were a few more proofreading issues than I would have preferred to see. But they weren't frequent enough or of great enough consequence to keep me from enjoying the read. It's well worth the $2.99 price tag.

I'd like to see Hart continue the Holmes series. As Evanovich winds down, writers like Hart and Greiman have proven that they can pick up the slack.

Delightful book, Ms. Hart.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
I never find stupid funny. The protagonist - is just plain stupid, not witty, nor charming. Luckily I got this book cheap, I'd be very angry if I spent any thing more than the $4 I paid. If there is a mystery in it,I couldn't find it. There's no suspense, about the murder, the characters, anything. Do not waste your time.
on April 7, 2012
I started out liking this book, but about half way through, it went downhill and never quite recovered. The humor in the first part of the book was quite a bit like watching some slapstick comedy. The heroine Addison Holmes was likable in the beginning, but as the story wore on, she became someone I grew to despise. She was definitely not someone I would like my own children to have had as a teacher. A preview of another book was at the end, but by then I had my fill of Ms. Hart's writing.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
I'm giving this book one star because there is no "no stars" option. To call this a comedy is ridiculous. What's funny about Addison? And how did someone so stupid get to be a teacher? Romance? A cop who, upon first meeting her, spends all his detecting time trying to get her into bed, with boring descriptions of her sexual bodily functions (i.e., wet panties, ugh!). Mystery? The only mystery is how this really inferior book made it to Amazon. I expected more discernment from a company in the book business. Well, it was free. And not worth that.
11 comment|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2014
If you like Janet Evanovich books then you will likely enjoy this book. I don't happen to prefer books in that "quirky (mostly inept) female who is constantly tripping/embarrassing herself" genre, so I didn't like this book. I assume the female characters in these books are supposed to come off as endearing but I find them annoying.
on October 25, 2011
Let me sum up the reviews for you: It's witty and clever. It's gripping and suspenseful. There's a bit of romance if that's your thing. There is literally something for everyone. Even the most casual reader will find a reason to keep the pages turning. Good stuff.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
No one would actually act like this. She stumbles over and gets involved in a homicide and later gets a death threat posted on her car. Does she report this threat to the police? No! That's just one example. There are more.
on November 7, 2011
Addison is a delight. Ms. Hart has constructed a well-developed plot with enough twists to keep me reading long past bedtime. I'll be looking for more books in this series as I'm especially interested in how Addison is going to grow as a character.
on October 30, 2011
LOVED this book! It was laugh out loud funny, but also kept me guessing til the very end. Perfect mixture of comedy and suspense! I can't wait for the next book to come out!
on April 18, 2012
The author takes too much time trying to be witty. That time would have been better served working on plot and character development. There are some painful parts, but if you can get through the first 10 pages you'll have the feel for the rest of the book. Lots of dead ends. The author has no qualms about contradicting herself over and over again through her characters.

Read the two and one star reviews before you purchase this book, seriously. Check the other book purchases by the four and five star reviewers. This book is only for a very specific.. type.. of reader. If you're looking for quality or enjoy books by other, more well respected authors, then this just isn't the author for you.

I have no idea why I purchased this book.