4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Interesting
Published on January 9, 2012 by R. White

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
In the four-corners area of Utah, Kiley Hartford begins a new life working on a dig with high hopes. Almost immediately, she encounters things that make her ask questions from the men who work the park to the visitors she meets there. When she accepts a date with the wrong person, her life begins quick stepping into trouble.

With an interesting cast of...
Published 16 months ago by Glenajo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Interesting, January 9, 2012
R. White (cherry point) - See all my reviews
This was a nice read. I liked the character and her growth and her ability to overcome. I liked/didn't like her over-thinking everything. I didn't like it because I just wanted her stop second guessing everything and to act. I did like it because that is exactly how I am! I like a strong female character and this book had one. The romance wasn't too sappy and while a week isn't much time to meet your soul mate, I can live with that. I thought the plot was good and believable. I loved the archeology stuff. It made me want to go out to Utah to see it myself! She made it sound so interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the ending and I enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great setting, emotional arc, and subplot, January 3, 2012
Joni Sensel (Greenwater, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whispers in the Dark (Paperback)
I'm not a big reader of romance, so I enjoyed the adventure/mystery aspects of this book the most, though there's certainly plenty of traditional romance for readers who hunger for that sort of sizzle. The glimpses of life in the southwest and the ruins of the Ancient Ones were fascinating for me, as someone who's spent a lot of time in the outdoors and in National Park-type settings but has never done so in that part of the country. The main character's emotional journey is well-drawn and satisfying, as is a sub-plot that relates to that journey -- that was another of my favorite parts. A quick read that should please plenty of readers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Romance, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Whispers in the Dark (Paperback)
This book kept me turning pages until the end. The heroine was so human in her thoughts and desires, while learning how to trust men after being betrayed in the past. The mysterious stranger was totally sexy. The plot was full of twists and turns, always keeping the reader rooting for the heroine. The writing kept me guessing until the end. Excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Southwestern Romance/Adventure!, April 29, 2012
C. McQueen (New Mexico USA) - See all my reviews
It seems that most authors today are crossing genre lines, and this book is no exception! Fortunately, that means Whispers in the Dark has a hefty dose of adventure and mystery, as well as a strong main character. Set in the scenic Southwest, Kylie is working through the trauma left from her previous experiences with men, while testing the limits of her education in the archeological field. She is learning to trust people again, in a setting that requires that she learn to trust herself first. The romance portion was not overwhelming or sappy, and this was due in large part to excellent character development. There were plenty of plot twists, and the ending was not at all what I anticipated! All in all, a great read, with a strong plot line, and likeable characters! I highly recommend this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure and Romance in "Whispers in the Dark", January 5, 2012
While this may be classified as a "Romance", the adventure/action balanced the romantic aspects very nicely. A mysterious sexy guy, a emotionally wounded main character, drug runners all set in a dynamic southwest setting - great ingredients for a solid story. The main character, Kylie, is a woman who is able to overcome some hefty emotional baggage and become a stronger person. The southwest setting and attention to authentic details will make the reader feel like he/she knows the place once the book is finished. This story has a few twists and turns that catch you off-guard and provide a satisfying finish. Just enough sexy to keep the pages turning without feeling raunchy. This is a well-written, fast-paced romantic adventure story. I'm looking forward to more work by Kris Bock.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, September 19, 2013
The book had potential, but fell short of the mark. Part of the problem was page after page of first-person ruminating by main character Kylie whenever she was going to make a decision. This could and should have been distilled down to a paragraph to avoid bogging down the momentum. Some things were hammered at the reader infuriatingly repetitively. At one point we're told five times in three paragraphs that Kylie can't find her pepper spray. I got it the first time! But the most unforgivable sin in my view was how Kylie repeatedly, idiotically walked into dangerous situations, ignoring her instincts screaming that danger was ahead and rejecting the idea of asking for help first. Initially I gave her the benefit of the doubt on the basis of a difficult incident in her past. But when she was still waltzing obliviously into blatant peril at the end of the book I gave up any attempt to excuse or empathize with her. I did a lot of skimming and won't read more Kris Bock without evidence of dramatically improved writing or editing and character development.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, March 9, 2013
Glenajo (Rockwall, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whispers in the Dark (Paperback)

With an interesting cast of characters, Bock builds a fun romantic suspense around archeology and in an unusual setting complete with romance and bad guys. This book has mystery, romance, fun, action, and suspense told in the first person. If this is your favorite genre, you will definitely find this entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, October 21, 2012
I was surprised to have enjoyed this book so much. The action parts were really exciting and kept me reading faster. I cared about whether or not the main character escaped, which is a good job by the author. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Good story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, action and mystery - woo hoo!, October 6, 2012
This was a good book! Characters you can care about, an absorbing plot, a little romance with mystery too. I read it in record time, just couldn't put the book down and really got into the story. For those who think they don't like to read romance books, don't pass this book by. The romance in the book works well with the plot and any love scenes are pretty short.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it and I'm so glad I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Was not what I expected, March 19, 2013
This was a really good book, you start off thinking ghosts and wind up thinking killers. The characters were good, the location setting was great. We have traveled to this area of the country, so it was very interesting to read a story that had romance and mystery, while at the same time revisiting the area in my mind. Good book, I love an author that can write a good book without using profanity and detailed sexual content.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Whispers in the Dark
Whispers in the Dark by Chris Eboch (Paperback - December 22, 2011)
$13.99 $12.59