Whispers at Moonrise (A Shadow Falls Novel)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 10, 2013
Although I did not read the first three books in the series, Whispers at Moonrise is one of the best books I've read in quite some time. Kylie Galen is an excellent main character. She embodies the highs and lows of being a teen. The family problems and boy troubles she faces are like those any girl could come across, but the paranormal issues Kylie has are less typical.
Kylie has been living at a camp for supernatural teens and will soon be attending a boarding school with her peers. Among Kylie's friends are a witch, vampire, werewolf, fairy, and shapeshifter. It would be expected that Kylie would belong to one of those species, however, Kylie is different. She is a chameleon; Kylie expresses traits of all the supernatural species and must learn to control her abilities.
Adding to the difficulties of mastering her powers is the fact that someone wants her dead and a different someone is after her best friend, Holiday. Kylie is going to have to use every ounce of her strength and wit to overcome the obstacles she faces in Whispers at Moonrise.
C.C. Hunter's novel is a good read for teen girls. It has romance, action, and mystery, a mix that is sure to attract female high school students. Hunter's writing style is fun and descriptive. I appreciate that she uses teen slang and gave each character a unique personality. Everyone in the novel is interesting and stands out. I give this novel four out of five stars.

*Received a copy for review, this in no way affects my review*
on October 6, 2012
Kylie knows what she is now, but not what it means. She's a chameleon? She's a lizard? She has no idea what's going on now and has more questions than answers. And to add to that, why did that ghost have Holly's face? Holly isn't dead yet...but does that just mean that she will? (ok, so there's a spoiler in my review which means if you don't want to know this tiny spoiler, avoid all paragraphs with a *) Not to mention that even though Kylie's finally chosen Lucas, she can't deny her feelings for Derek or that Lucas is hot one second, cold the next. What's a not-so-human girl to do?

*I think this was definitely my favorite book out of all of them. It was different in the way that it wasn't action-y and was more a mystery. This was basically the book where most of our questions were answered while at the same time, Kylie and the rest of the gang were trying to figure out who killed Holiday's twin sister. And jeez! They went one some awesome traces/leads and I loved guessing who killed her, why, and everything else. As morbid as it sounds, this was definitely my kind of book!

What I didn't like? I didn't get why Kylie didn't tell Holiday about the ghost with her face. It just seemed weird. I mean, sure it would've scared her but Holiday had the right to know plus it would've been easier and faster to figure out why the ghost had her face if Holiday had known. It just really annoyed me to hell and back. But hey, that only lasted 1/3 of the book!

While Kylie was a little annoying when it came to romance in the beginning you'll eventually forgive her when it's clear she's literally torn apart between her feelings for Derek and the ones she has for Lucas. I mean, they're both awesome guys and honestly? While I'm Team Lucas, I did fall for Derek. He's the complete opposite of Lucas and I was just as torn as Kylie was. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW SWOON WORTHY THESE TWO GUYS ARE?

Characters? This is going to be long...
You guys, my favorite character absolutely has to be Della! She's so snarky and fun that you just have to love her! If possible, she's more snarky in this book than in any other! And she was an amazing friend besides, no matter WHAT she says/acts like. Miranda was too! And I loved how she kept squealing about Perry after they (finally) got together! It was too cute!
I'm not even going to mention the boys. That would take too much squealing. Sigh. I'm totally crushing on too many book boyfriends.
Kylie is definitely a great MC. She wasn't as stupid as some other characters; she figured (most of) the things out and I loved that she would give the benefit of a doubt and that she always, always, understood. Err...well, most of the time!

OMG. You guys! The ending. The ending! AGH! Can I choke someone? You could hear my jaw drop half way around the world. I was not expecting that at all and loved that this book could surprise me right when I had things figured out! I can honestly say that I've never been more surprised! And I've never read a more cliffhang-y cliffhanger.

As stunning as the first three, C.C. Hunter writes an amazing fourth installment that will answer some questions, but raise even more. A thrillingly satisfying read, Whispers at Moonrise will keep you guessing until the last page, leaving you shocked and aching for Chosen at Nightfall!
on October 5, 2012
I have always enjoyed novels that had to do with some sort of paranormal school or camp, and when I first discovered Born At Midnight, (first book of the Shadow Falls series if you haven't read them) I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. After reading it, I was soon eager to find out more about Kylie's life and what type of paranormal she actually was. Luckily, the wait time for the second installment of this intriguing series was shorter then the usual time frame between novel releases, but it still had me chomping at the bit because of that jaw dropping cliff hanger!

Whispers At Moonrise, is the type of book that you can read in one sitting. Although it wasn't one of my swoon worthy favorites, I still loved every second of it! C.C. Hunter has that type of writing style that leaves off at what I can only describe as a cliff hanger after each chapter, that gives you that "What the heck happens next." feeling. Because of that, I was not able to put the book down even if my life depended on it! (Might be a exaggeration, but still. :P) C.C. also has a funny sense of humor that she incorporates into all of her characters, and even though it didn't have me laughing out loud like I did in Julie Kagawa's Iron King, it still had me smiling then and there.

Kylie, is a super super strong character in this novel, much like she was in the last few books. She has parent problems, like alot of teens. Her mom and dad have gone there seperate ways but she still hangs onto the hope that one day they will get back together again and everything will be right in the world. I feel that teens that have problems going on at home can really connect with her through that. Kylie has a unfair load of responsibility dumped on her shoulders that no teen should have to carry alone. Examples? Talking to the dead and dealing with rouge vamps who are out to either use her or kill her. Neither has a good outcome. Adding to that, Kylie has never felt like she really belonged to any part of Shadow Falls.

In the last book Taken At Dusk, Kylie's dad reveals that she's a chameleon. Her first thought? A supernatural lizard. As the story progresses, Kylie discovers who she really is and slowly learns about all of the new powers that she's attaining. Her up to no good sidekicks include Della, a snarky vampire who has a tendency to have a pissy but hilarious attiude and Miranda a dyslexic witch who loves getting into arguments with her. Della was actually one of my favorite characters! Even though she pretends to be unaffected and indifferent, you can see that she really cherishes and values her friendship between Kylie and Michelle and would protect them at any cost. Michelle, in my opinion is more the insecure one and acts lovesick throughout the novel, but also would do anything for both her best friends.

The romance was one of those well known and dreaded by some, love triangles. To be honest, I wasn't to crazy about either boys in this novel. No team Derek or Team Lucas for me! Which is kind of depressing because I really love a good love triangle. I was Team Lucas all the way in the last three novels but ehhh I don't know if it's my mood or something completely different, but I really wasn't to crazy about him in this one. It seemed like every time I thought "Oh Kylie's definitely going to pick him" or "No way she'd ever pick him", I was wrong. She bounced back and forth between both boys so much it had my head spinning. Overall, both boys have made mistakes and hurt Kylie in some way or another but the choice is still unclear on who she's going to pick.

The action was pretty well paced. One of the things that I loved about this novel was that the author took the time to actually jog your memory a bit. I mean after six months of reading other books, all of the characters and plots of different books sometimes get jumbled up in your head. C.C. Hunter gave just the right amount of background story to remind me of the important characters and yet she didn't give to much information either. She also added some morales to the story as well, like not letting life pass you by and taking chances even when there might be consequences. YOLO! xD

Full of steamy romance, action, teenage angst, and life changing discoveries, Whispers At Moonrise will have you flipping page after page, eager for more!

The final book in this explosive saga, Chosen at Nightfall, will be released in Spring 2013!

Heroine- 5/5
Romance- 4/5
Action- 5/5
Comedy 4.5/5
Overall- 4.5/5

Daphne @ readinguntildawn (dot) blogspot (dot) com
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2012
I am probably not going to be loved for this review but here it goes. I have really enjoyed this series from the start and I still pre-order the books in this series and they are moved very rapidly to the top of my TBR pile. The first book had me hooked with its interesting premise and laugh out loud hysterical scenes. The book previous to this one seemed to have lost some of the sparkle of the first books. And "Whisper at Moonrise" continues that downward trend. For books now we have been teased about Kylie's powers. Most of us probably could guess right away that Kylie was special and had powers of all the paranormal creatures. Now her gift is given a name. Kylie is a chameleon. She freaks out thinking she is a lizard. Really? I mean really? And no one in the entire place has the sense to say "Hey Kylie. Chill out sister. You are not a lizard. You have all the powers...you are a chameleon. Your powers change to fit your surroundings...or needs." Only at the end of this book do they figure out this mind puzzle. Sigh. The bad guy from the previous books make no appearance here at all although we still don't know what happened to him. We are once again bounced back in forth in the love triangle between Lucas and Derek...both guys who more or less cheated on her and kept things from her. Real winners to choose from, Kylie. Kylie's roommates are still bickering. All the fuzzy dreamlike sequences are becoming repetitive.

Now for the positives and there are quite a few. I love Della and Miranda. I just wish they would stop it with the silly bickering. I love Perry for Miranda and it was nice to see them together. I loved the ghost story line and I loved seeing Derek help her solve it. Lucas's reasons for ignoring Kylie just aren't good enough. I think it sets a bad image to see Kylie taking it when Lucas treats her the way he does. There were still more than one laugh out loud moments in "Whispers at Moonrise". The book still is a quick read and its still entertaining. This author is a darn good storyteller and I know she has many more original new stories to tell us. Its just that I believe this particular series needs to end. I am relieved that the next book is the last. Some series go on so long that readers tire of them long before their stories wrap up. Its great that this isn't going to be like that. I look forward to seeing Kylie get a happily ever after.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2012
Whispers at Moonrise is book #4 in the Shadow Falls series by C.C. Hunter. It's a wonderful addition to this awesome young adult series. Things just get more and more difficult for Kylie. She is put in many difficult situations, but she always makes it through. Between boy troubles, ghost issues, and figuring out her own identity - this book is probably the best one yet!

Kylie finally knows what kind of supernatural she is, but it comes with more questions than she had before. The abilities that she keeps gaining makes her feel like more of a freak than special. Everyone is always staring at her because she is not like any other supernatural at Shadow Falls.

The series has some of the best characterization I've come across. C.C. Hunter keeps you emotionally vested in the secondary characters almost as much as the main characters. Kylie's best friends and roommates, Della and Miranda, add much humor with their funny banter. Also, I am a big fan of Holiday and Burnett. I wish I could have read about their romance from their point of view.

The love triangle between Kylie, Derek, and Lucas continues. Lucas reveals more of himself but is still so secretive. I used to be a big Lucas fan but I am definitely Team Derek now. He is ALWAYS there for Kylie, no matter what time of day (or night). It doesn't matter to him what she is, and he would never put others before her. Lucas is always putting his pack before Kylie. I don't despise the guy though. I think he has some good intentions, he just doesn't carry them out in the right way. Basically though, I don't think Kylie and Lucas are meant to be. Something or someone is always going to come between them.

This book is full of suspense and mystery to keep you turning the pages. There is never a dull moment, and it is an emotional roller coaster. I was actually almost in tears at the end. I wasn't expecting that ending at all and I'm not too pleased with it. BUT, I know that the next, and final, book will be awesome. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to see what happens next and figure out which boy Kylie chooses once and for all.
on November 7, 2013
kylie starts off the book calling herself a lizard. Apparently her dad said thats what they were and that they will figure it out together, but Kylie still doesnt know what he meant by being camilion. So Kylie walks behind the office and stares off into the woods. She hears something calling her to the woods. Before she can think about it Derek shows up and he and Kylie talk. He still feels what Kylie feels and loves her. Kylie and Derek continue to talk when Lucas shows up and acts up. Kylie ends up running from him and goes to her cabin. She os in a bad mood and takes it out on her friends Della and Miranda. Once calm enough Kylie goes to look for Lucas. Finding that hes in the woods, she goes there to find him. Della and Kylie make it to the woods and find that they arent alone. They met with a group of werewolves. They mean no harm though, one of then is Lucas's dad abd only wants to talk. Lucas appears and begins to talk after telling the girls to leave. Now late at night Kylie has a vision that scares her. Della comes to check on her afterward and then leaves. Once better Kylie goes outside to meet Miranda in hopes of making Socks a real cat again. Miranda tries and fails, but as Kylie takes Socks back in she mentions something and it turns Socks the sunk into Socks the cat. Now what could Kylie be? Is she a witch? For the meantime Kylie just goes with it. Meanwhile the voices from the woods keep calling Kylie but now she hears a scream and her instinct to protect takes over. She goes into the woods and saves a girl and as she leaves the fog turns into someone she knows. She gets back to camp and Burnett is angry. Besides that they fins out that the girl Kylie brought is really Lucas's sister. They talk and then Lucas shows up, and then he notices Kylie's new pattern. He doesn't seem to happy about it. After a while Holiday and Kylie talk, Derek tells Kylie that Holiday had a sister who matches the description of one the ghost's she has been seeing. Kylie wonders why she hasn't mentioned it. Then later Lucas comes by and fake breaks up with Kylie and she doesn't quite know how to respond. So Kylie goes on with her life, and helps Della and Miranda set up the dinning hall for the welcoming. Miranda is upset about how Kylie reacted to being a witch, but they make up and all three girls just talk and have some fun. However Kylie felt uncomfortable with everyone staring at her pattern. On the other hand as she goes around Derek comes up to her and they find out another puzzle piece to the ghost problems. But that will be held off for now. The next day she heads to the falls with Holiday and Burnett. They talk more about her grandpa and that they haven't hear much yet, so they just talk, until the ghost appears. They ghost starts up telling Kylie she has to protect Holiday, but before she could get more Holiday's phone rings from an usual person. After that they leave with Burnett taking to Kylie wanting to know everything, and so Kylie reveals all. Shortly Kylie comes up with a plan. Later that night after getting an e-mail from her grandpa she decided to go meet him. She heads toward the cemetery, on her way Lucas and Perry find her, but she didn't have time to waste, so she ditched them and ran quickly before they can catch her. Just outside the cemetery Kylie encounters Hanna and get alot more information on how to help her and Holiday. After that she heads into the cemetery. She finds her grandpa and her aunt who both confirmed just what Kylie is and he grandpa wants to take her with them but she wont go, she knows that Shadow Falls is where she is meant to be right now, and to top it off she now has a vampire pattern! Before she can learn more Perry and Lucas finally caught up to her, and just like that her aunt and grandpa were gone. Kylie runs off back to Shadow Falls and upset at Lucas, but before she can hop the gate to Shadow Falls Lucas tackles her down. Kylie is upset but then she ans Lucas are fine again. He also explains a way for them to get over the gate without triggering the alarm. Now Kylie just toss and turns with worry of everyone looking at her pattern. The next day Kylie goes to find Holiday only to find she is meting with her ex who may be a killer. She and Burnett go to find her. They find her and once Holiday sopts them she comes out and after looking at Kylie they leave and that's when Kylie reveals to Holiday about her twin sister being dead. Now I can write about page after page after page, but then my review would take up the whole front page. So I will leave the rest of the book for everyone to read. However this is just another AMAZING book in the series with only one left to go. So with that I give this book 5 stars!
on October 11, 2012
Just like with her first three novels of the series, C.C. Hunter does not fail to make this book just as action, romance, and suspense packed as the others. It didn't feel like a place holder book. It had you on the edge from beginning to end. The twists and turns the book has never let you go on thinking you know how the book will end. I am personally anti-Lucas now, however. Now that Kylie finally has the answers as to what she is, her maturity about not only enforcing and doing what she truly believes needs to be done, but also with her relationships between her Shadow Falls group makes you rooting for "Team Kylie" throughout the entire book.
But, C.C. makes sure that Kylie is still figuring out herself by having a challenge that Kylie must understand and learn with each certain supernatural she turns into. And when Kylie realizes that Shadow Falls doesn't hold the key in what she needs to know about herself, it's through trials that support what her grandfather and great- aunt told her about their kind. This slow progression of Kylie realizing she has to leave Shadow Falls made it easier for me to accept because of the multiple scenarios in which her family's statements make sense. It's not a split decision that is made with no real reason and it wasn't as heartbreaking when she decides to act on what was told to her about chameleons.

As for the "love triangle", Derek's role in it didn't have the whole "Team Derek" or "Team Lucas" which the previous books had moments of. Kylie sticks to her guns and chooses one boy to openly show her feelings to, even though you're left with a little speculation as to whether or not Kylie is completely over Derek. For the romance portion of the book, I was not able to decide who Kylie would be better off with. Though Derek shows complete devotion in helping Kylie figure out who a serial killer before he comes after Holiday, Lucas begins to accept Kylie for what she is and also shows his devotion by doing certain things to help Kylie even though he doesn't like it one bit. It leaves you rooting for "Team Kylie" instead of one of the boys.I was a tad disappointed that the growing relationship between Della and Steve didn't have much of a result before Kylie left, but it wasn't that in depth to be an actual issue in the book.
But the ending left me wondering more about just who exactly awaits for Kylie at her grandfather's.

I have so many questions about the fourth and final book of Kylie Galen's journey.
Who Kylie will end up being with? Will she meet a boy chameleon and end up with him? Will she be able to get to go back to Shadow Falls? Will something happen between her and Derek? Will she end it with Lucas?
Guess we'll just have to wait. But it's a wait worth waiting for!
on October 9, 2012
Review: 4 ½ out of 5 stars

This review contains spoilers from the previous book

Whispers at Moonrise is the fourth book in the Shadow Falls series by the amazingly talented C.C. Hunter and follows on where Taken at Dusk left off.

Kylie Galen's time at Shadow Falls has been filled with heartache, confusion and despair but at least now she has an answer about what supernatural species she is after receiving details from her ghostly father but all she needs to do is work out how to control it and things aren't clear until she meets up with her Grandfather.

Not only does Kylie have to deal with being a protector and a Chameleon changing from one species to the next but she is also trying to solve the mystery of a ghost who has appeared wearing the face of someone she is extremely close to, it's a mystery about who and what this person wants and as with the other books the clues are extremely vague.

I really felt for Kylie, it was a struggle seeing her so tormented in her feelings not only with her abilities and what she was but also in her relationship; Werewolf Lucas isn't as present in this book and I must say I didn't trust how distant and secretive he was being from the onset, he had way too many secrets which he wouldn't share but the ever loving Derek was always there for Kylie which I thought was wonderful but it certainly left her feeling confused about her feelings. I am not a love triangle fan at all and I seem to go from loving one guy to the next in this series but I hope there is closure in the next book, the relationship woes make my head spin.

The secondary characters are truly wonderful and really make this book entertaining and enjoyable; Della and Miranda still play the ever present best friends with hearts of gold and humor and we see further relationship progression between Holliday and Burnett which I loved, I was at least relieved a few relationships were working out well, especially with the witch Miranda now dating Perry.

Kylie's decision in the end was heartbreaking but understandable in the sense that she needs answers, I am curious to see what is going to happen in the next installment, that ghost she encountered at the end gave off sinister vibes.

I find myself absolutely enthralled in Ms. Hunters storytelling and writing, the detailed and vivid imagery always draws you into the scene. This is definitely one of my favorite series and I have loved finding out answers along with Kylie.

I am really eager to get hold of the final book in this series, Chosen at Nightfall which has an anticipated April 2013 release date.

Books in Order:

1. Born at Midnight
2. Awake at Dawn
3. Taken at Dusk
4. Whispers at Moonrise
5. Chosen at Nighfall
on October 9, 2012
My synopsis of the book:
"Why does my life need to be so damn hard?"

Kylie Galen thought finding out what she was would make things better, but it didn't. If anything it just complicated things even more. She has finally discovered what type of supernatural she is, well, sort of. She knows the name, but not exactly what it truly entails. She is a chameleon and no one seems to know exactly what that is, but Kylie's hopeful it doesn't involve a tail and a really long tongue. Perhaps it explains her crazy brain pattern and why everyone has been having so much trouble reading it? She's still coming into her powers, and while she now knows what she is, she is about to discover what she is truly capable of, and it's quite spectacular. Chameleons are known for changing their colors to blend in, so you have to wonder what a supernatural chameleon can do?

Meanwhile, her ghost whispering skills are once again being called upon, but this ghost is the scariest by far because it looks like someone Kylie knows...and they're not dead! Is she now able to speak to people's ghosts before they've passed? If so, can she prevent their death? One thing Kylie knows from her previous experiences is that listening to a ghost can sometimes determine whether someone lives or dies.

Additionally, her father stated before he faded back into the land of the unliving that they'd find out what being a chameleon meant together. Does that mean she is going to die too? So many questions, but the answers are forthcoming. One question posed toward the beginning of the book will gain more significance toward the end...

"Have you ever known the right thing to do, but couldn't do it?"

Kylie will need to make a difficult decision she wishes she didn't have to make. The irony is that the person who posed the question will be the one to finally make her see there truly is only one right choice for her and push her one step closer to finding her destiny. She'll come to realize, 'Life could still hurt like a paper-cut right across the heart...Every new day was about opportunities. You couldn't always control life, just your response to it.'
________________________________________________________________

My thoughts:
This was such a fun book with so much revealed yet leaving so much more yet to be discovered. I truly can't wait to see what the next, and sadly last, book of the series will hold. Is there anyway to sign a petition to extend the series? Each book seems to pull me deeper and deeper into the story.

In Whispers at Moonrise, Kylie will finally get to meet her paternal grandfather. He holds the answers she craves. She'll learn what a chameleon is and some of what one can do. She still hasn't gained her full powers and hasn't yet gained total control over those she currently possesses. New powers seem to randomly appear, but she'll find they aren't as random as she thought, and begin learning how to control them.

Lucas will show aspirations of gaining a seat on the were Council. He wants to make a difference. To do so, however, he has to gain his father's approval. He's secretive about what that entails, but asks Kylie to have faith in their relationship and in him.

Kylie will once again be haunted by a ghost and need to put her protective powers to use to save someone. The difference with this ghost is that it looks like someone Kylie knows and cares for. Holiday says sometimes ghosts can have an identity crisis and put on the face of someone else, but is that what is truly going on? She'll have to sort things out to get to the bottom of who the ghost is trying to warn her about before it's too late.

Why is the book named Whispers at Moonrise? I believe it has to do with this:
'Moonrise, she thought. She felt again the whispers echoing in her mind. Whispers she couldn't understand, whispers that both lured her and frightened her.'
Something is whispering for Kylie to come and join them in the forest. She'll need to decide whether to refrain from the compulsion or give in to it.

Overall, I gave this one 4 1/2 out of 5 roses. I loved the drama involved with the ghost. I loved the difficulty involved with Kylie's decision to stay or to go with her grandfather. I enjoyed the interaction with Holiday and seeing Kylie's powers go astray. I loved pretty much everything that went on, but felt things were a teeny bit dragged out when it came to discovering what a chameleon was. I thought enough clues were given at the end of Taken at Dusk to give everyone a good idea, but I did love some of the humor that went with the speculation. Action and emotion go hand in hand in this one, and I can't wait to see what Ms. Hunter has up her sleeve for the next book. This one will leave you craving for the next book, Chosen at Nightfall. I keep hoping for a spin-off series.
on October 4, 2012
Kylie Galen has always been something of a mystery in the supernatural world, her brain pattern was never one particular type such as a witch or vampire and she really just longed to be considered "normal" by their standards. Shadow Falls had become her home and her friends and Holiday were her support system despite the other campers considering her a freak. A visit from a ghost who looks a lot like Holliday has Kylie freaking out trying to determine if this is a warning or the woman was just confused and looks like her friend. Kylie needs to solve the woman's murder before it is too late and one of her friend's could be in danger so time is of the essence. The love triangle continues as Lucas is drifting away from her in his efforts to be considered for the Were Council and despite his assurances that he still cares for her, she is feeling abandoned as neither his father or his pack support their being together. He would give his life protecting her yet would not stand up against his family for her, kind of like wanting to have his cake and eat it too. Derek after confessing that he still loves her, realizes he messed up but tries to be there as a friend and would love to take things further. Kylie feels something more for him than a friend but her heart beats for Lucas even though they are more like star-crossed lovers. Changes start happening where Kylie is becoming a vampire one minute and a witch the next, scaring the hell out of her and Kylie is depressed about not being able to control the changes in her body. Feeling more like a freak than ever and isolated from Lucas, Kylie will make a choice that could change her life forever and she will be betrayed by someone close to her. I loved Della, she is one great friend and kick ass vampire who loves Kylie no matter who or what she is. Having friends like Meagan and Derek mean the world to Kylie but is that enough? This book does have lots of action but it is more about girl experiencing the highs and lows of being in love and dealing with the heartbreak of secrets that are finally revealed.