Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 12, 2012
I read the book essentially in 1 sitting over about 6 to 6 1/2 hours, with few interruptions. The book is set in Pennsylvania and the story centers specifically on a few small Counties in Western Pennsylvania, there are some references and "news" reports about things occurring around other parts of the Country, particularly the North East, but overall this is an intimate short term (3-5 days?) look at the start of a ZA occurring in what could be rural Anywhere, USA.

I will start by saying I enjoyed the book a great deal, and devoured it from digital "cover" to "cover" quickly and never felt like I wanted to stop reading and take a break, I was engrossed in the story and wanted to know what was going to happen next. It has a good bit of gore and plenty of gun play and a strong military presence throughout. I will recommend this book to others I know to be fans of the genre.

I do feel the book left a lot unsaid, it does come to a natural closing point at the end, but I was left wanting to know more and what happens next. Perhaps this means the author is planning on writing more books and expanding the world he has created, but I personally hate waiting for the next installment in a series. I have countless other series of books I've read and am waiting for the author to write more.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and read it though in one sitting always hungering for more, and at the end I was left still hungry. I wish the book had been twice as long!
on November 15, 2012
Have you ever been to Pennsylvania? After reading this book, you might want to stay away - far away. Imagine a travel-log starting in Butler County. You'll quickly become familiar with the county court house and surrounding parks. That's when all hell breaks loose. White Ash on Bone refreshingly resets the recently played-out zombie drama by introducing you to a new premise. For once the reader is not dropped into some under described post-apocalyptic world. In fact, you're dropped into pre-zombie Butler County, Pennsylvania.

The novel starts off slow, portraying one of the main character as she goes about her daily life in the Butler County Courthouse. In very short order, patient zero begins his rampage and the reader is swept up into a staccato burst of trying to figure out what is happening along with the main characters. Speaking of main characters - there are a lot. So many in fact that I found myself no longer caring about the lives of some of them. Some are so rotten that you'd imagine they were living versions of zombies - some so normal that you could see yourself acting the same way in their shoes. For once, characters in a zombie novel are believable. These men and women are not super heroes, which make them very easy to understand and relate to. Unfortunately, for me, there were just too many of them. Luckily, a few die off - so don't fall in love with anyone.

The book reads a little rough, though. There are several grammar and spelling mistakes which the casual reader may be able to ignore, but editors and writers pick up on rather quickly. It doesn't stop one from enjoying the book; it does, however, detract from the high-paced writing style that works so well to move the plot along. There are also some dialogues and actions that just seem out of hand. For instance, two characters engage in a ...romantic...engagement shortly after one of them is bitten, and while they are still in danger. Implausible? Possibly not. Makes sense? Not to this reader.

On the other hand, there are no dues ex machina issues with the author suddenly saving main characters. The author doesn't guide the characters to weapons or save spots. In fact, most of the time you wish the main characters would get a break.

As I mentioned earlier, the book almost serves as a travel-log of Pennsylvania. Just for fun I actually went into Google Earth and looked up the locations. If you're good with maps and following the author's directions, you can actually find almost every location on the map. Residents of Pennsylvania should find this to be fun and nostalgic look at their region, while foreign readers can enjoy a fleshed out "world" that actually does exist.

Another plus to the book is that there are no plot holes. In fact the author does a good job letting you know how and why the characters are getting from point A to point B. The only let down is that the book doesn't resolve at the end. There is not cushy ending and all is not fixed. Is the author setting us up for a sequel? I think that is almost guaranteed.

All that being said, White Ash on Bone is a fun zombie experience that will delight fans of the genre and will definitely rack up extra points from those living in or near Pennsylvania.
on October 11, 2012
This novel will change the way you view the Zombie genre. An impressive up and coming writer who has a bright future. Walking Dead can suck it. Buy. This. Now.
on January 17, 2013
As I read the first few pages of this book I felt I was reading a report submitted for homework at possibly the fourth grade level. I'm not too sure what gave me that immediate idea. Part of it may have been the font chosen, it looked like the old fashioned typewriter font. The writing was poor; I had absolutely no feelings about the main character. I only read 4% of the book; I have little patience for poor writing with all the books out there available for reading. It definitely needs to be reedited also.
on December 14, 2012
The only negative I can find with this book is the length, but the only reason for that is I truly enjoyed it. Good books are always too short & always will be for me. I have read many zombie stories & this book far outpaces a vast majority of them. Hell of a job considering all the redundancy of so many of these types of books. I was almost not going to bother being I had read so much of this genre, but this book makes me remember exactly why I like zombie novels. The book is also simply well written.

I have not read anything shockingly new here, but I find the actions of the characters in this book incredibly logical & cohesive. I truly enjoyed how a rather annoying character gets dealt with considering these types tend to hang around & annoy me till generally almost the last pages. It is refreshing because it shows simply you can fool some of the people sometimes but as they say not all of them all the time. This seems to be something many writers have forgotten & therefore they have a tendency to make so many of their characters seem like complete idiots. These are no warm & fuzzy twilight zombies, & this will not be a happy ending for many of the survivors. This series has the making of an epic zombie saga much like the graphic novels turned into AMC's "The Walking Dead" series.

If you like zombies & who wouldn't after-all they love us, give this a shot you will not be disappointed. The title & book cover alone is worth the 5 stars when you find out what it means.

By the way Blah Blah Blah the spelling, the editing - or in other words big freaking deal. Want to be an editor please go do it somewhere else - Oh let me guess no one cares. I have never NOT purchased a book because of comments like these mostly because they are usually way, way, way over exaggerated...
on December 19, 2012
I got this when it was offered as a free book option, which is a good thing because in this economy if I had paid hard earned money for this book I would have been left feeling like I paid far too much, no matter what the price. It isn't any one thing that is wrong with this book, but more a lot of little things. Some characters are extremely well developed while others remain almost strangers through out the story. There are a few different sub plots that jump around with no sense of rhyme or reason, making it hard to keep track of who is where and doing what. The potential for a really good book was in here, but unfortunately it just never quite came together. Very seldom do I read more than one book at a time because i am usually so engrossed in the story that I hate to put my book down to do whatever needs doing outside of my daily reading time. Sadly with this book I not only was fine with taking breaks from it to do other things, I also ended up reading a book of short stories as I took my breaks from this one... I really wanted so bad to like this book and it's characters... especially Jack (Naomi),and Donna, but unfortunately I never really got into it enough at any point to truly get lost in this world that had been written. It felt like the author made a real effort to convey his vision, which had great potential, but unfortunately it just never quite made it.
on October 19, 2012
First off, until a couple of years ago, when The Walking Dead came on TV, I wasn't a huge fan of zombie stories. Then I caught an episode, and I was hooked, but during the second season, I got a little bored with the whole hideaway farm thing. You don't have to worry about that with this book. The writing is quick and doesn't trail off leaving loose ends everywhere; although, I see sometimes the writer doesn't mind leaving a few openings for maybe a sequel or a prequel.

Overall, the book sticks with the action and builds a good host of characters that the reader can get quickly into, and the plot moves the plot along. I stayed pretty vested in the novel, and it's a pretty quick read. That's probably because of the sense that even though shit is hitting the fan, you want the living to escape from the dead, most of the time. I'd say that the mark of a good zombie novel, regardless of whether the setting is a courthouse, a dark road, or a stadium, is that the reader gets a good bit of a chase and gore from the dead while the living bring a solid balance of fear, desperation, and hope, not to mention some conflict between the living characters to make them matter. I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt for the living to have a basic understanding of firearms as well.

I'm giving this one five stars because it was a good time, and I'll reread it.
on January 4, 2013
This book is a standout for zombie novels. The author did not break any new grounds in concepts but the character developments and pacing is excellent. The actions and reactions are realistic. I appreciate that there were no amazing super humans with incredible shooting skills in here. After all, some readers are normal people who have never even seen a gun.

The story originates in a small town in Pennsylvania and imagines what the start of a zombie apocalypse would be like from patient zero. The stories bounces from local officials to the average man. We also get glimpses of the characters' history to build emotional connection.

There is nothing new in the storyline that you wouldn't have seen in hundreds of other zombie novels but I would recommend the book. It's well written and an enjoyable read.
on November 7, 2013
In many ways White Ash on Bone is a classic zombie apocalypse novel, but the big twist here is the realistic government and civil militia response that is portrayed. This is the first ZA book that has even mentioned nuclear power plants and wonder what will happen to them.

The reason for the 5 stars, and not just 4 for being a good ZA novel, is the level and consistency in the writing: excellent! Also, some great bad guys to root against and good people to cheer on.

The end of the book mentions a sequel - I want to read it RIGHT NOW!
on January 6, 2013
I got this book for free through Amazon and I thought it would be a good fix for my zombie cravings since The Walking Dead will not air again till February. I thought this book did this job, but since I was comparing it to the AMC show, it was hard to judge this quick-paced story. There were some grammatical errors that need to be fixed and I think that with the numerous characters it was difficult to keep track of who was who. I am looking forward to the sequel, but I hope the author will focus on main characters instead of building stories for those that will be killed off quickly - this would not have been so hard to follow if the story wasn't jumping around.