Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: VHS Tape|Change

on March 1, 2004
This is an absolutely incredible story that touches your soul and warms your heart. The development of the relationship between a younger and an older man, compliments and mirrors in many ways the development of the relationship between the young man and the wolf/dog. Compassion, trust, love, pain...all of these abound in this movie. In addition to the touching story is the awesome Alaskan landcape and sceenery. We own this movie and have watched it many times, yet we never tire of it's honesty. A highly recommended movie...You won't be dissapointed!!!
on September 7, 2002
Disney's White Fang is one of my all-time favorite films. Many don't see it as much of a cut above the average, but few films are as touching or as beautiful to me as this one is. A heart-warming story with good performances and photography that captures all the epic majesty of the Alaskan landscape.
So why does it only get three stars? Well, that's Disney's fault for releasing it only in full-frame format. A film of such awe-inspiring scenery and photographic grandure deserves to be seen in it's original widescreen aspect ratio. And if they can release the inferior and ridiculously useless sequel in anamorphic widescreen, one can only wonder why they wouldn't give this film the same treatment. I realize that sometimes pan-and-scan prints are the only ones available, but this film is not that old, and in any case the German DVD (the title over there is "Wolfsblut") was released in widescreen with an English audio track, so Disney must have a widescreen print in their possession.
Special features could have saved this release another star, but there's nothing here except a Spanish audio track. And with no extra content, Disney could have easily fit both widescreen and fullscreen versions on one disc.
To those who either don't have a widescreen preference or don't like this film enough to care, the subject of this rant will seem a minor quibble. If that is the case, then by all means rent (or buy) this film, as I still fully endorse it on its own merits. But for my own part I won't be touching this one until Disney wakes up and puts out a widescreen reissue.
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2000
This was such a magical movie, and yet totally realistic! The relationships feel real, the characters seem genuine, everything about it was perfect. This is a great movie for everyone! It teaches about compassion, friendship, perseverence, and kindness in the tale of a boy who heads to the gold rush to make his fortune, and makes some lifelong friends along the way. I also recommend Iron Will if you like this one!
on June 27, 2004
Lush panoramic visuals, a great story, compelling acting (by humans and animals alike) and an absolutely superb musical score add up to one of Disney's finest live-action movies ever. I love the sweeping shots of the Alaskan and Yukon landscapes and the wildlife photography is terrific. A young Ethan Hawke was a first-rate choice for this film and he is complemented fantastically by Klaus Maria Brandauer. It's unbelievable to me that this DVD is in a full-frame pan and scan format, which cost it a full star in my rating. With the quality of this film's cinematography, the DVD deserves to have the best digital transfer and widescreen treatment. I also wish there was a soundtrack available, as the score is one of my all-time favorites, but that's a whole other subject!
on May 23, 2004
This Disney version of White Fang, starring Ethan Hawke, Jed the wolf, and Bart the grizzly is my favorite movie. The film has breathtaking, sweeping views of the Alaskan wilderness with a swelling score to accompany the cinematography. And that's just the beginning. Fresh-faced and innocent Ethan Hawke plays a wonderful Jack, a young man trying to find his father's Yukon claim during the Gold Rush of the 1800's. Klaus Maria Brandauer brings realism as the man who grudgingly befriends the boy. Jack takes a journey from boy to young man as he encounters death, violence, cruelty, ignorance, friendship, and love in this beautiful movie for anyone of any age.
There is no sex, bad language, or nudity, but make no mistake: this is a violent and scary film. Scenes of dogfights are so realistic you cannot believe the animals are just acting. There is the death of a mother wolf in front of her cub, vicious dogfights, a grizzly attack, implied killing of a man by a pack of ravenous wolves, and an implied sensuous relationship between Brandauer and his lovely girlfriend.
Native Americans and wolves get the treatment they deserve in this movie, bringing a new perspective to viewers without being preachy or maudlin.
Warning: When the grizzly makes his appearance, it is when you least expect, and it will make your heart jump. And it is the biggest grizzly I have ever seen in my life. My hat goes off to the animal trainers in this film.
on January 12, 2006
It is "ridiculous" not being able to get this film in widescreen--

Whoever was behind the decision to mangle this movie should be fired

The beauty and scope of this White Fang as it is meant to be--and then not to be able to see-a-h-h-what else can I say.

I dearly love this movie,but I will not watch it or buy it unless it is in widesceen
on March 29, 2016
Good movie, yep it's Disney so of course it doesn't exactly follow Jack London's novel perfectly... But in it's way Disney made a movie that is worth watching. They don't make movies in the outdoors today because it is to expensive and they use the green screen, but this was filmed outdoors and well and the acting is good. Kids can watch this and it's not weird or computer generated like today's movies.
on October 3, 2011
White Fang is perhaps one of the best stories of survival... ever.

I first read the book White Fang in 5th grade, when I first saw the cover of the book for the first time.
It was of a wolf, sprawled close to the ground, with his white fangs bared and his face curved into a vicious snarl. I picked up the book under the impression that this was a story of a mad, rabid wolf that killed everything in its path; in turn it turned out to be the most amazing book I would ever read. And White Fang's story was one of harsh survival and a charming ending that left you feeling satisfied and warm with content.

This movie, however, is a very poor interpretation of the book. There is no Ethan Hawke. It's just the story of White Fang and his journey to survive in the harsh wild. I think Jack London would be very ashamed if he found out that his book was made into such a movie.

However, if you actually enjoyed the story of White Fang that Disney had "sugar-coated" then do so. I had enjoyed movies that had been drastically changed from the book in the past. But for me, White Fang's real story is far more memorable and heartwarming, far more exciting.

If you had saw the movie, but had not seen the book then you need to do yourself a favor and read the book. When you do, you will never watch Disney's White Fang movie again, trust me, it's that good.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2015
I rented this again (for about the twentieth time in my viewing history) because my husband has never seen it. The scenery is spectacular, the wolves amazing to behold, and the story captivating. The acting is the only thing I've ever considered sub-par about this movie, but it isn't so bad as to prevent my watching it over and over. Anyway, my husband -- a stalwart individual -- got very emotional, either brusquely swiping away a stray tear or yelling over the stupidity of a particular character's behavior. If it gets him worked up, then you can pretty much guarantee that it's a good movie.
on August 13, 2008
Fun Ethan Hawke movie about a wolf, yet a miserable Jack London adaptation. I can never understand why movie script writers believe that they are better at telling a story than a great author . . like Jack London! White Fang could have been adapted to a movie by simply following London's book. Why make up a whole different story and refer to it as an adaptation? Again, this is just a silly Disneyism.