Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 16, 2012
I purchased a White Mountain 6 quart Ice cream maker with Electric motor in December 2011 for my 2 children for Christmas. It is now mid March and I have yet to be able to make ice cream due to a bad motor. I called White Mountain customer service and received nothing but rude, unprofessional treatment. The CSR's I have spoken to have told me there was a defect in the design and they are redesigning the motor and will not be available until the summer. One CSR told me they are not stocking the item because "it is not the season for ice cream makers, they will make them again in the summer"...REALLY??!! Everytime I log onto the White Mountain web site, the item shows "out of stock". I asked for a reimbursment of my $300 and White Mountain refused. It is extremely frustrating to have spent $300 on such an item for my children for a Christmas gift and have it sit on the shelf collecting dust for 4 months now and no end in sight. And to rub salt in the wound, have rude, nasty and unprofessional CSR's speak to me as if this is my problem, not thier's. Shame on White Mountain, shame on the CSR's at WM and shame on the people who run such a horrible company. Poor quality products coupled with poor customer service will ultimately lead to the failure of this company..and not a day too soon. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! WASTE OF MONEY!!! BAD SERVICE!!! MOTOR DOES NOT WORK!!!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Living in Florida, ice cream is a treat we enjoy almost year round and having switched to healthy food alternatives several years ago, making our own delicious ice cream is something we enjoy especially when kids are visiting.

We've owned a large (6 quart) plastic version of an ice cream machine by a popular maker for years and it has done it's job "okay". My spouse (who is the one running the ice cream machine) always complained about the tendency of the old machine to run slow and cause more melting than necessary. Of course, having come from the old school version which was hand cranked, the motor itself seemed just fine to me.

Well, I was not only proven wrong but SO WRONG! This machine puts the old one to shame. First, the quality of parts and materials is simply not even in the same ball park. Although both are 6 quarts in size, this is a wooden barrel/bucket versus plastic on the other, the insert is stainless versus aluminum/tin and the paddles are a hefty metal versus plastic. The motor - well they are not even a little comparable. This one makes at least three full rotations versus one on the former...literally, we measured it! It's also substantially more powerful and louder which is a bit of a negative but to be expected. Notice, this unit has over 12,000 RPM versus around 4,000 on the old unit...it REALLY makes a difference in speed and strength!

As for the wooden bucket, it is suggested that you add a bit of water a few minutes before using the machine so it absorbs/expands and doesn't leak during use since it is real wood rather than plastic. Don't worry - the part that holds the ice cream is fully stainless steel and very simple to clean.

Despite the immense difference in materials and overall quality, this unit does have a few negatives. First, the motor just sits on top of the spindle but alignment seems a bit tricky since it doesn't "lock" in place tightly. The motor slides into a slot and is easy to install once you stop "over-thinking it". However, even after installing it seems to have a lot of wiggle room remaining...more than I anticipated for sure. Try as I might, there was no way to secure it in a way that felt more stable...apparently that is just the way it's made. Next, it is loud. Of course, that is in proportion to the power of the machine but the noise level combined with the wiggle is a bit disconcerting. Finally, this will require a slight bit more maintenance than a plastic unit but of course, that is also to be expected and more than fair trade-off for the lack of bph and other health hazards associated with plastic.

Bottom line - an impressive unit that FAR exceeds most any other on the market. Strong motor that outperforms others by at least 3x's, wonderful quality materials. Negatives include a disconcerting "wiggle" and fairly high noise level. This would make a beautiful gift idea and/or perfect item for those that really enjoy ice cream and want an ice cream maker that will last a lifetime while reminding of old-fashioned churns.
VINE VOICEon June 1, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
White Mountain did a superb job on this little piece of machinery! We were so thrilled with how well it worked.

Everything about it is cute but functional. My husband and I mixed up the ice cream batter and poured it in with no problems. We had a little bit of a struggle to line up the canister with the motor but that was just because we hadn't used this ice cream maker before. It was simple to assemble and easy to use. It only took 30 minutes to churn out a gallon and a half of delicious peach ice cream!

Two observations:
-The noise level is pretty high. We used it indoors due to the heat outside and it was hard to hear conversation. But then again, it only took 30 minutes!
-The canister holding the ice cream is tall and narrow. I would recommend removing the ice cream from it before transferring it to the freezer. We didn't and it made it very difficult to remove it after the fact.

My main concern, however, was how this ice cream maker would wash up. We rarely use appliances that require a great deal of assembly, disassembly, and washing. For this to be worthwhile, it had to perform high in the cleaning. And it did! It was so easy. I just ran it under hot water, swished it with a cloth and dried it. It came out beautifully. Even the wood bucket, which had been sitting outside drying with all the rock salt, cleaned up easily and well. The finish on the inside of the bucket shines up very nicely with just a little water and dry cloth afterwards.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product! It's ease of use, functionality, and ease of clean up sold me!
on July 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Call me a newbie, but I've never made ice cream before and was hoping for a detailed instructional guide with lots of pictures. There wasn't one. What came in the box was a user manual that wasn't exactly idiot proof. It will take a bit of common sense if you've never used one. We got through it and the results were way better than expected.

What I loved best was the pine wood bucket and heavy-duty motor. Also, the user manual has recipes that are easy to follow. Once the mixture is chilled, it takes less than thirty minutes to make six quarts of soft-serve ice cream.

The recipes are broken down where you can make two quarts, four quarts, or six quarts. Our first batch was the maximum and we had too much leftover. I was surprised at how well the remainder tasted throughout the week. The texture held firm too.

Lastly, I'd like to mention the pine wood bucket leaked after the third use. The inside of the bucket has a coating to protect the wood. I'm not sure if this leakage is normal, but wanted to mention it. When using outside, this isn't a big deal. Still, it's something I'd like to be aware of prior to purchase.
on May 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're looking for an ice cream maker that will stand the test of time, this is the one for you. It was 95 degrees this Memorial Day weekend and a perfect time to give the machine a try. I just made vanilla for about 10 people, but it was amazing. I will definitely be trying different flavors throughout the summer!

Pros:
-Overall high quality. You can tell you're getting what you paid for. The construction is solid and I see this lasting a lifetime.
-The motor is very powerful. I worried that it wouldn't be enough to actually keep turning toward the end because I remember being a kid and how hard it was to crank then, but no fears, the White Mountain didn't seem to have any issues.
-The instructions are clear and easy to follow. There is even an online video if you're confused.
-The included recipes are easy to make and don't require a lot of off the wall ingredients.
-The machine makes a ton of ice cream compared to some smaller units I have tried over the years. There is plenty to eat now and store for later and it seems to store well because it tasted exactly the same the following day.

There really weren't a lot of cons, but if I had to pick a few...

Cons:
-There are a lot of units available that use a frozen drum (for lack of a better word) which is easier because you don't have to mess with ice and salt.
-There is a bit of maintenance to keep this one nice and the cleanup of the bucket, the actual container that holds the ice cream, the motor, and the stirrer is somewhat tedious.
-For families that don't eat a lot of ice cream or a single person, the quantity might be a bit of overkill

Overall, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and, if you're shopping for this type of product, I'm sure you are already prepared for them. I rate this 5 stars. It does what it says it will do and does it well. Who could ask for more?
on June 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I never thought I would ever own an ice cream maker. It seemed like a lot of work. Why not just buy ice cream? The endless possibilities. I love golden oreo cookies and I love cookies n cream so the first batch I made was cookies n cream golden oreo edition. I followed the cookies n cream recipe on the booklet and used golden oreo cookies instead. Once done, it was a bit sweet for my taste. I packed the leftovers and froze overnight. It tasted different after freezing. It was perfect. Not sure why it wasn't as sweet but maybe the freezing had something to do with it.

It is very easy to use the ice cream maker. Once you have your mix ready to go all you do is pour it in the canister with the dasher inside. Put the lid on and place inside the wooden bucket. Add 2 to 3 inches of water in the wooden bucket for the first time you use it. The hardest part of using the ice cream maker was putting the motor on. Seems easy at first by just placing on top but you have to make sure the motor latches to the top part of the dasher and then latch to the wooden bucket. After a few uses you will figure it out and it will be easier and faster to latch them.

Once all that is said in done you add the ice and salt mixture. I purchased a big 20 or 25 lb bag of ice from sams club and it was enough. I purchased the rock salt at home depot and that should last a long time. I followed the tip provided in the booklet to layer the ice and the salt. As the ice melts you add more ice and some salt as well. You have to check on the ice cream maker every few minutes to replenish the ice. Its not something you can leave and come back to and have ice cream.

The motor never stopped on me. About 3 to 4 times it seemed like it was stressed. It made a high pitch sound for about a second or so and then it went back to normal. After 25 minutes or so I stopped the motor and checked on the ice cream and seemed like it was ready. It comes out like soft serve ice cream. It sort of like cold stone ice cream consistency. It is very creamy and easier to eat. The part I have most is getting the ice cream out of the canister and the dasher. It takes some work to get all the ice cream out of the dasher. Getting the ice cream out of the canister is easier with a spatula.

Overall, this is a great machine that will last many years. It is great making your own ice cream and making your own variations. It is great for kid parties and adults too. If you can think it you can probably make anything. In the summer I like making a margarita flavored sherbert with some alcohol. Great for adult parties and refreshing for the summer. My favorite ice cream so far that I have made is a dulce de leche. Google it. It is very good.
on May 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was pleasantly surprised with my White Mountain Ice Cream Maker. It was very easy to put together, to start off (and I'm challenged when it comes to assembling even simple things. It contains instructions as well as a recipe booklet, which was also great. It's adorable, and smells nice (like pine). The only aesthetic mismatch is the relatively huge motor.

That motor's wonderful, though, because it does all the work for you; little to no hand-cranking (also a huge plus, since I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). The process is reasonably short, nor are the ingredients too numerous. Most importantly, the ice cream itself is delicious. It packs very, very well, and several days on, the batch I made tastes just as good as it did out of the bucket.

This product is highly recommended. It's easy to put together, easy to use, solid, durable, and the ice cream is amazing. Spring for it; you won't be disappointed!
on June 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was really excited to get this product as I thought it to be something the whole family could enjoy and everyone would like to be able to get some fresh ice-cream at the family gatherings, then the problem that made this product an annoyance arose.

It's extremely loud!!!!

I have blenders that are quieter than this thing.

If it wasn't for the fact that I really enjoy what it gives me as a product (my own recipes for ice-cream) I would of gotten rid of unit after the first batch.... Also we use it outside mainly so the noise is outside and we have just decided to put it off to the side of the parties and let it runs it's cycle then we bring over the canister and dish it out to everyone. It would be really nice if they would put a quieter motor on this product though, very nice indeed...

Other than that the product seems to be pretty well built, the bucket is solid and looks like it will last a long time and the main cylinder seems like it's pretty well built. Although I have found some rust already starting at the base of the cylinder where it spins on the spike that is in the center of the bottom of the bucket, it's not horrible but I have already started to use some chemicals to make sure it doesn't become a problem in the future.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having gotten this machine to try and review, I decided I wanted to put it through its paces before I wrote a review. So, when we decided to throw a 4th of July BBQ, we also decided to offer 5 different kinds of ice creams, sorbets and sherbets. We worked the machine pretty hard for about 3 consecutive days, outside, in 80+ degree weather so that we could have all the delicious treats ready for the BBQ.

Overall, we really like this machine. It makes bigger amounts than some of the smaller Cuisinart-type machines that have to be pre-frozen before use. Doubling recipes was not a problem for the canister in this machine - it handled it like a champ. Most of our recipes made about 1 quart. We doubled a few of them and the when the ice cream was made it had crept about 3/4 of the way up the canister. Having said that, there was room on the sides, so there may be plenty of room for further expansion with larger batches.

Needing to put water in the bucket before making ice cream is a bit of a pain, but the reason is completely understandable (it needs to swell to help keep the slurry inside). It was quite nice not to have to worry about having a canister in the freezer in advance, since we tend to be last-minute kind of people, and the pieces fit together well and are a breeze to use and to clean.

Finding "rock salt" during the summer took a bit of doing, until I found out that the stuff used in pools (minus any extra chemicals) and sold in ginormous 50-pound bags is the same darn thing. We found a bag at our local Farm & Ranch store for $5, and it will probably last us until my youngest hits junior high - 8 years from now.

The machine is a bit on the loud side, but we have outlets outside and just had it running out there - I'm not sure how I would feel trying to have it running in the house, though in all honesty, 20 minutes to freeze the ice cream is really not that long. We made French Vanilla (double batch), Raspberry Sorbet (double batch), Pina Colada Sherbet (double batch), Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream and "Cherry Garcia" Ice Cream. There was a definite noise difference as each flavor began to stiffen up, but the machine never sounded like it was laboring too hard. The motor did get warm, but again, it never felt like it was too hot or on the verge of burning up.

It's a bigger-size machine, so if storage is a problem for you, then this might not be the machine you'd be after. Not only is the bucket a good size, but with the motor top, it needs to be stored upright so it can all be put together.

Overall, I would recommend this machine. It's easy to use, needs little forethought to make a batch of ice cream, and can make larger amounts with no problems. Our neighbors are already asking whether we can break it out again for *their* next party :)
on July 13, 2011
Although this ice cream maker seems to be top-of-the-line, it breaks after only a few uses. Although the box boasts a "5 Year Warranty!" the cheap, POS motor has a 1 year warranty. So when my husband bought this for me for Christmas 2009, the warranty started ticking then. I think we made ice cream once or twice Summer 2010, and then when I went to use it this summer (2011), it made a horrible screeching noise. I called customer service for a replacement (based on the stated 5 year warranty), and was told sorry, but I could take 15% off a new $100 motor today! Screw you. It's frustrating to think that I could have spent half as much for a cheap ice cream maker that would either still be working, or I wouldn't care about when it broke. Too bad, this is otherwise a seemingly-nice ice cream maker - the other parts work well. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse