on June 16, 2009
This was an early Father's Day Gift for my husband. We've always divided the landscaping in two parts: I do the flowers and veggies, he mows the collection of mostly white clover, mixed weeds, volunteer grasses and wild flowers that we loosely call our lawn. Cut it and it looks just like real grass. It's a hilly plot stretching over an acre.

Well...the new self-propelled White arrived two weeks ago. We've had enough rain to raise the clover and weed lawn to nearly a foot high. This weekend there was no avoiding it...the time had come to take the new mower out for its first trial.

Set-up took about 15 minutes from opening the box to operation. After watching my husband go through the first part of the lawn without breaking a sweat, I decided to give it a try. My first shock was the ease with which the pull cord started the engine....light years ahead of our 10 year old mower. A short tug and the Briggs & Stratton engine roared to life. The self propel bar works like a car's accelerator...the greator the pressure, the faster it goes. Gentle pressure gave a brisk walk - even up hills! Getting the feel for how hard to accelerate was easy. To back up and turn, release the lever and the rear wheels disengage, putting the mower in the equivelent of a car's neutral to pull back without resistence.

It came with a large, heavy, bag for clippings. So far, we've only used the mulching feature. Clippings are cut so fine that they disappear in days. I doubt we'll be using the bag.

The White was definately a better buy when checked against Home Depot's similarly priced line up. This is sturdy machine with more power and features than the chain store offerings. Shipping was free, adding even more value.

I only wish I'd bought one last year!
on June 6, 2009
I bought this mower on Amazon for nearly $100 below retail price, and also received free shipping, which saved me the hassle of loading it at the store and bringing it home. It appears to be last year's model, but that's fine by me.

I originally bought a Toro after reading about it in Consumer Reports, but I hated the "Personal Pace" system, especially on hills, and returned it to the store. The White is one of the top lines of MTD, and it performs very well in terms of cutting and maneuverability. The bag holds a lot of grass, more than many bags, and it's easy to tell when it is full. The Briggs & Stratton engine, which requires priming, provides plenty of power.

My last mower was an MTD Yardman which held up well for 10 years. Yard Man seems to have gone downscale in the past 10 years, so I thought I'd try the Toro, but now I am happy with the White.
on July 6, 2009
Mower works really well and enjoy the power of the engine over my old mower. During shipping the left front wheel support got bent but no big deal, I straightened it w/o problem. I am satisfied w/product and price.
on March 27, 2012
Got the first day oil busted all over inside the box and mower. The adjustment of the mower design sucks when you start mowing it will drop to the lowes setting the groves need to be a lot deeper so it will lock on overall the mower works fine the self propel works great. Just the problem with the adjustment would keep me from buying this product. I have metal wiring tieing it down now

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations