5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the film, 1 star for the dvd
Published on March 17, 2005 by black*mamba

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR ME
I guess if you like this type of movie it would be good. I ordred this for a friend for the holidays she loved it.
Published 8 months ago by Donita Myrick

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the film, 1 star for the dvd, March 17, 2005
black*mamba (snaketown, usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
Having drooled over the Goodtimes dvd for years now, I did a flip and a half when I saw Universal was releasing a widescreen dvd of this superhot love story. I refrained from doing two flips when I remembered it was Universal and then saw no mention of special features. What? Look at the potential for bonuses! There was an alternate ending, there were deleted scenes, how about a featurette?! Argh! I just wept and wept. And then months later the release date comes, I tear the dvd open and the movie starts automatically - I hit menu and get the nagging old "operation prohibited by disc" usually reserved for fast forwarding through those tired old FBI warnings. There's not even a menu! No scene selection. Geez. Do these corporate monoliths now require movies to be no older than 5 days old to have simple menus? I'd like to sit down and analyze the brilliance of Sarandon and Spader, note how Spader's hair changes near the end because of reshoots, but I'm just too raving mad at Universal right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars why the bare bones version, May 28, 2005
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
I had been searching for this dvd for about 3 years now and had no luck as it was out of print. Then finally I found it and at only 9.99 But then again this is Universal were talking bout here, so why have such a goregous movie and do a bare bones version. There was no menu what so ever and nothing extra at all. I would be willing to pay more for a special edition. The movie itself wal extra sharp looking and the audio was outstanding the big plus is that it was wide screen. Universal people dont care for cheap dvds when they are bare boned versions

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance Can Come When You Least Expect It., February 19, 2002
Hillary (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace [VHS] (VHS Tape)
James Spader, a personal favorite of mine, stars with Susan Sarandon in this entertaining adaption of the Glenn Savan novel. I own and read that too, and although a book is ALWAYS deeper in detail, I was not disappointed with this film.

Max Baron, a twenty seven year old Jewish widower coming from his buddy Neil's (Jason Alexander, pre Costanza) bachelor party, meets poor white anglo trash waitress Nora (Susan Sarandon) at "White Palace" restaurant. He has come to claim six empty boxes that should have had burgers in them. Instead he gets no burgers, just a refund and lots of attitude from a beligerent Nora behind the register.

After being thoroughly depressed and feeling sorry for his loss more than ever, Max gets drunk. On his way home, he stops in a country music bar for a nightcap. A few gulps later, he is spotted by a cigarette puffing drunken Nora, attracted to Max, she is therefore, swilling AND willing. I don't think ANYONE would actually need drinks to find Spader attractive though.

After Max relents and lets Nora stay and have a drink, despite being surlier earlier...they end up back at her place. It is then, that two consenting, inebriated adults begin their December/May romance.

What Max had intended as one night stand, somehow ends up being true love, despite the ethnic differences, social status disparity, and disapproving friends and family. Max and Nora make-up, and break-up, and come to a crossroads in their relationship, but true love conquers all.

All the performances from the leads are well executed, you feel for Max. His analogy at a party, where his friends are trying to find him a more suitable mate is terrific. When asked if he likes the girl, Max's says, "There's No dust in her dustbuster!" This sums up his feelings perfectly. He doesn't WANT a perfect young girl, he wants imperfect older Nora.

I found this to be a warm, enjoyable romantic comedy/drama. Luis Mandoki did a fine directing job, and the script adaption was fine in telling the story. Jason Alexander was good as Neil, Max's best friend. There were also many good minor roles of various friends in Max's circle of snobs that really made you root for Nora all the more. A fun cameo was Kathy Bates in a small role as Spaders boss.

All in all, a winner that is definitely worth seeing, and adding to the romance selections in your film collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This One Will Stay In My Collection, September 26, 2003
"manilenza" (Jacksonville, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
The reason I got into this business of buying and selling DVD movies is simply to try to get rid of ones that I have seen. Everybody knows there's a lot of crap out there but I just love watching movies. So this morning after seeing my wife off to work, even after just less than three hours of sleep, I thought I'd slumber myself back to sleep with a movie. For that purpose, I picked up the wrong one.
I won't get into the story of this movie, you get that in the other reviews here. This, BTW, is my first ever movie review.
"White Palace" is as close to a perfect movie as one can get. How can it not be? I never was into the drama/love story genre; but this movie has the right balance between the lead characters, the story and the setting, the supporting cast, the music, and with the awesome partnership of James Spader and Susan Sarandon, got me stuck watching it and making me love Susan Sarandon more than before!
I've always liked Susan Sarandon more than James Spader in the movies they have separately made; but now that I've seen him in this move, I just had to find out more of his other movies. Now, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on "Storyville" and "Dream Lover".
Great job, Director Luis Mandoki! Now let me check your other work...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Movie!, November 6, 2002
elizabeth morrison (St. louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace [VHS] (VHS Tape)
White Palace" is truly one of the most enjoyable movies I have ever seen. It is timeless because no matter how many times you see it, you want to keep coming back for more!
I am also a native of St. Louis, Mo. and it was incredible to see so many familiar sites that were in the film etc. his apt.- the outside building is in Clayton and the actual apt. is Lee Redell's, a famous restauranteur who gratiously lent it for the movie or Rachael and Neal's house- I drive past it almost daily!
James Spader has become my favorite actor. I think it is so neat that he never graduated from high school let alone college and look what he has accomplished! He has a presence and a chemistry that is electrifying. He and Susan Sarandon were fantastic as lovers. The movie is very believable even though it is unusual for a woman 15 years older and from a completely different background economically and educationally to have an affair with such a younger man. You want to believe that it can work out.
All in all this is a movie that will never grow old.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the movie 2 stars for the DVD, March 27, 2005
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
This is a good movie and I recommend it. As for the DVD this is as bare-bones as you get. It has no menus. It does have about 9 chapter stops (10 if you include credits) and thats it. The price is good and it is widescreen but golly how hard is it to make a basic menu? I think they went too far in cutting costs.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, solid love story with great performances..., July 7, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
I found this film to be a very moving and touching love story. The chemistry between the two lead characters is fantastic and holds the attention of the viewer. I am a big fan of James Spader and he does a fantastic job in this film, even though I prefer his more recent movies. This is a good film to check out if you are a fan of either Spader or Sarandon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sex, Lies and a Hamburger Joint, January 26, 2001
S. Schell (OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
Luis Mandoki seems to be akin to dour and depressing pieces (Message In A Bottle, When A Man Loves A Woman) but works his somber mystique to greater effect in this undervalued ditty of opposites attracting. This improbable tale of true love begins with 27-year-old Max Baron (Spader) wallowing in self-pity over the recent death of his wife and suffering the annoyance of bad service from a scanty burger joint called White Palace (think White Castle and you have a good idea of how scanty they are). Retreating from a friend's bachelor party to haggle over six missing burgers, he harries a tired gal named Nora Baker and receives a gruff riposte from the steely waitress. Later that night after the party favors and burgers have run out, Max solemnly retreats to a local bar for a drink and finds Nora hunched over the counter swigging vodka tonics and eyeing him like a scrumptious prize. He rebuffs her every blatant sexual advance, but all the same she follows him outside begging him for a ride home. They arrive at her cluttered domicile and Max is immediately sickened by the filth that surrounds him, insisting that he is okay to drive himself home. Nora is adamant about him staying the night and the minute he is asleep, her lusty impulses take over and she seduces her inebriated guest right on her couch.
Thus begins the unlikely and somewhat clichéd rapport between a wealthy Jewish widower and a 40-something gal from the wrong side of the tracks with a closet full of skeletons. The two main characters don't really have any compatibility other than their sympathies for the others' personal tragedy (of Nora's, you will find the truth about later on in the movie). Little else draws them to one another besides their ravenous sexual appetites. Sarandon and Spader certainly have the chemistry needed to make their debatable affair authentic, but when I discovered the original conclusion of the novel the film was based upon, it made more sense to me. The finale chosen for this adaptation is the more favored because it is the typical happy ending that most people crave; it's just not realistic. It evokes the warm fuzzy feelings we all like to get from our entertainment, but it mocks the truth and the author's hard work. I admired it for its playfulness but when I think of how it could've ended, I would've valued it more as a work of art.
Sarandon, though far past the age most film czars would consider the closing stages of an actress' wondrous opportunities, still has the ability to carry a movie all by herself, no matter whether she is the story's victor or casualty. It is here that she proves it the most, no matter how celebrated other roles may be (Bull Durham, Dead Man Walking, etc.). As an over-the-hill, working-class sexpot, Sarandon displays more of an understanding and connection to her character than any she has portrayed previously, due greatly to the fact that she IS a seasoned actress. Because of this, she is the strongest, worthiest and most memorable performance in this film, rising above Spader's almost unbearable morbidity and angst-ridden deportment. Eileen Brennan is of mild interest as Nora's roving clairvoyant sibling Judy. Jason Alexander barely shows any sign of the spunk he would create for his character on "Seinfeld" as Neil, Max's betrothed buddy. Kathy Bates has a small but enjoyable cameo as Max's friendly colleague and Rachel Chagall is so ebullient it hurts us to watch.
Overall, "White Palace" is an enjoyable film despite its faults and has a great rewatchability factor because of Spader's and Sarandon's overt and plausible lustiness towards each other and the smart interpretation of their characters. Fans looking to get a glimpse of either Spader or Sarandon in the buff, this is the film to watch. There's a valiant but dignified show of skin in selected scenes and you will see why Sarandon is considered such an admirable role model for women her age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good movie that has gone unnoticed, December 26, 2005
Kick-Azz-Angel "sherlizz" (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace (DVD)
Exceptional movie about a highly unlikely love couple. Age issue, the other way round, because the guy is younger and they have social different backgrounds.
But true love is ageless, and they seem to have more in common than a good eF U Cee Kay. So in spite of difficulties and judgments they experience from family/friends/colleagues, they finally decide to go for it. Not an average Hollywood flick, and great, natural acting. Could be a European movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Movie I can See Again and Again!, November 3, 2002
Carol Pellegrini (Addison, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Palace [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As a native St. Louisan and someone who had seen "White Palace" 12 years ago when it was first released, I was surprised by how little I had paid attention to this truly outstanding artistic creation until I saw it again. The sexual chemistry between James Spader and Susan Sarandan was electric; the supporting roles by James Alexander, Kathy Bates, Eileen Brennan, Rachael Levine and Corey Parker were truly professional; but the plot is what I found mesmerizing and so true to life. Nora Baker touched Max Baron's heart and soul unlike anyone had done since Janie( his wife's) death and allowed him to truly examine who he was and what would bring him a sense of peace and happiness for the rest of his life. The fast paced rat race of living the upper middle class Jewish existence in Ladue, Mo became sterile and meaningless when he realized that it was not too late to change his life i.e, leave St. Louis for NYC and go back to teaching (his true love) and finding the one person (Nora) whom he could be true to himself with! The fact that Nora was 16 years older, a heavy smoker and drinker, from a poor lower class family and a complete opposite of Max's made the attraction all the more intense. And the movie so spell-binding!!

White Palace
White Palace by Luis Mandoki (DVD - 2005)
$9.99 $6.66