5.0 out of 5 stars Not Milk?
Wow, simply amazing book and a life changing book for me. I have always been a daily milk drinker throughout my childhood and adult life. Being a "good parent" I encourage my children to drink milk everyday. So when I heard there was a book against milk I was very intrigued but hesitant thinking this is some vegan, "tree hugging" rant.

Isn't milk supposed to be...
Published on November 6, 2010 by Bob

Published 16 months ago by Kelsey Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Milk?, November 6, 2010
This review is from: Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health (Paperback)

Isn't milk supposed to be good for us and doesn't it make our bones healthy? Even into the third chapter I was still thinking this can't be right...milk is good for us. I have been throughly brainwashed or "whitewashed" to think this by all the "Got Milk" ads and the multi-billion dollar milk industry. The author, Joseph Keon sites a multitude of articles and peer-reviewed medical journals and certain points of the book it is daunting to see the risks of milk. The sheer amount of research and overwhelming documentation against the benefits of milk and the risks and complications with drinking milk is disturbing. It's a milk fallacy that we have all grown up believing that we need to drink milk to be healthy. We are the only animals that drink milk after infancy. Even though we drink more milk than most countries we have a higher incidence of hip fractures. Milk increases the risks of obesity, diabetes and many other conditions. This book has not only changed my health but the health of my family. This book is a must read for everyone who drinks milk.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Myth is Over, November 9, 2010
Garth Twa (Halstead, Essex England) - See all my reviews
Reading "Whitewash" was like being kicked in the head, but in a good way. It never occurred to me that milk wasn't the perfect food, that milk wasn't the basis for health and happiness and the American way.
Mr. Keon's book is thorough, methodical, and just plain makes sense. I was initially concerned when a friend suggested it me, thinking it was just another one of those perennial crazy diet scares. But this is lucid, not hysterical, and indisputable. It is told in the calm, commonsense fashion of someone who has the facts and, to borrow a word from the subtitle, the truth behind them.

Why, indeed, are we brought up to believe that we need to suckle from the teat of another species? This revelation was like a slap, like I'd looked at a glass of milk and saw it for the first time. I mean, if I was in a diner, ordered apple pie, and was given a glass of orangutan milk, I'd be outraged. But why? Orangutans are at least closer to us--genetically speaking--than a cow. That simple test shows how ludicrous the very founding myth of the dairy industry is. And that's all it is: "Milk is good for you" is a myth.

If you still need more convincing let "Whitewash" show you what's in milk--antibiotics, bovine growth hormones, rocket fuel, and (this was the clincher for me, if I needed one by this time, if I hadn't already been clinched) pus. And that's not even delving into the treatment of cows in the dairy industry, the forced impregnations to keep the cows lactating, the disgusting living conditions, and the horrifying brutality.

This book is indeed essential reading for every cow-suckling human on planet. But be warned--it will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The American Dairy Farm is No Longer Idyllic, November 15, 2010
I was tempted to ask my doc for an antidepressant after receiving this depressing jolt to my beliefs about milk (as well as about all that we ingest). For sure, I am a non-dairy person henceforth.

I think the best way to share the horror of this book is by mostly quoting it. So here goes:

Page 66: "Those who drank three or more glasses of whole milk a day faced a risk [of getting prostate cancer] 2.49 times higher than men who reported drinking no milk at all."

Page 78: "The responsibility for protecting our health falls on nobody but ourselves. It has become abundantly clear that the manufacturers of chemical contaminants will not protect us, and the federal government has chosen not to devote the necessary resources to protect us either." And you can partly thank George Bush for that.

Page 83: "Animal products are the primary sources of pesticide residues in our diet."

Page 84: "When an American consumer puts milk [products] in the market basket, he or she now has roughly a one-in-two chance of bringing home a product tainted with a pesticide."

Page 93: "An estimated twelve thousand tons of antibiotics are used non-therapeutically every year in the United States. That is, they are administered to healthy animals."

Page 94: "As far back as 1983, three hundred scientists saw the disaster on the horizon. By petition, they urged the FDA to take control of the abuse of antibiotics in farm animals, which they felt was a chief cause of the enormous surge in antibiotic-resistant infections. Yet, as we can see, the warning was not heeded."

Page 148: There's an interesting chart on this page that shows that the Japanese drink the least cow's milk and have the lowest incidence of diabetes; whereas, Finland consumes the most and has the highest diabetes rate.

Page 160: "In this matter of milk and human health, our collective common sense [and science] has been put out to pasture."

Page 173: "...High-protein diets cause a negative calcium balance to occur even in the presence of more than adequate dietary calcium. Osteoporosis would seem to be an inevitable outcome of continued consumption of a high-protein diet."

Page 184: "Fifty-five percent of Americans don't get the minimum weekly exercise for disease prevention and 26 percent get no exercise at all."

Page 193: In quoting John Robbin's DIET FOR A NEW AMERICA, the author shocks us with this: "Old Bessie would live 20-25 years...under natural conditions. In the unbelievably stressful world of today's dairy factories, however, she is so severely exploited (as a four-legged milk pump) that she will be lucky if she sees her fourth birthday."

Finally, the author relieves some of the tension of his book in the last chapter where he tells us how to enjoy our nutrients unpolluted--as best we can.

UPDATE: I sort of made myself a guinea pig based on the reading this book. Now, I am beginning to wonder about my former conclusions. The author mentions all kinds of negative chemicals in milk, but fails to include that milk is a good source of natural L-Tryptophan, an amino acid that turns to serotonin in the brain and gives one better sleep and a feeling of well being (a natural antidepressant/mood enhancer), even relaxation in the muscles. (Why would he leave that information out?)

Of course, some people are allergic to regular milk and many people in India and Asia drink little or none of it, getting calcium and L-tryptophan from other sources. Buying L-tryptophan or 5-HTP supplements at drug and health stores is still iffy/dangerous according to some scientists because of health-altering traces of contaminants still found in the product.

In a couple weeks--it will be six months into this experiment--I will have a PSA and Lipid Panel blood test, again, to see if this experiment lowered my PSA count and affected the ratio of my cholesterol numbers. Regardless of a higher PSA count before--4.0-6.4--three biopsies showed no cancer, just enlargement; thus getting up once at night. So, stay tuned: I will report on the results after May 23, 2011.

UPDATE ON MAY 23, 2011: As a result--maybe of my non-dairy program above mentioned, my LDL dropped 33 points to 109. (I was non-dairy 90-plus percent of the time.) This would normally be considered near optimal (100-129), but the urological profession moved the goal posts in 2011--like they did the (mostly discredited) PSA count several years ago from 4.0 to 3.0. Now, near optimal LDL is 70-80! My urologist was impressed, but not elated because my HDL did not improve, thus the ratio is still unacceptable to him. Nevertheless, I will continue on this program for another 6 months (in lieu of taking a statin, which also doesn't appeciably increase HDL)--maybe the LDL will drop another 30 points, making the HDL and LDL ratio more acceptable. My PSA actually went up 0.58 to 4.59, which is low for ME; so, less milk didn't win out on that count. Next progress check: November 21, 2011.

LAST UPDATE (MAYBE) on Nov. 21, 2011: I was not elated with the second six months of "research". My LDL actually went up 6 points and my HDL only improved 4 points. My doc said these are statistically insignificant, but they're not...emotionally. He thinks I may have done the best I can do to lower my LDL and raise my HDL via diet. What he is actually saying is that I may need some additional help: That help being a statin. I said, "No way." Also, my PSA count went up slightly, but within a range that seems to be "me".

I have to comment about one more-recent reviewer. The person states that the problem isn't pasturized or regular milk, but that we don't drink raw milk. Problem solved? Well..., I have had been drinking raw/organic milk for several years (and grew up on it on the farm) and my LDL and prostate count kept rising. When I stopped drinking three-a-day (plus other dairy), my LDL dropped that 33 points. I am going to continue on this diet for another six months (though I'm not crazy about drinking water), but may not post. (I DO miss that vanilla ice cream with chocolate on top, but....)

UPDATE ON MAY 19, 2012: This is the end of the third six months going dairy free. All my reduction was in the first six months. No improvement (lowering) in LDLs beyond the initial 30 points. So, now I am told that red rice yeast extract is a natural statin and the way to go to dramatically lower LDLs AND raise HDLs. This will be a three-month trial, which is all that's called for to see appreciable results. Regardless, my LDL was "only" 114.4 (down from 142) and my HDL was up 10 points from a 1.5 years ago to 51; both respectable, but not optimal. In addition, most people don't die (have a stroke or heart attack) because of their cholesterol anyhow.

UPDATE ON SEPTEMBER 2, 2012: I am not a scientist or medical doctor, but I can deduce. I know that too many docs don't know the latest, and very few admit it. In fact just recently I found an article on Google about the LACK of the evilness of LDL and the especially dangerous dairy connection to our blood. I have concluded that the book above is an example of a good writer who doesn't have the latest facts (through no fault of his own, perhaps), but according to what he has been fed/his lights, the information is helpful. So, let's look at the latest LDL information.

In a nut shell, LDL is not simply LDL, but is composed of four types of LDL all lumped (good term) together when a lipid test is given. It turns out that the largest segment of these four is actually manufactured in one's body from dairy. Also true is that this lump/segment is basically benign--yet it counts when LDL is totaled. The smallest particle of LDL is actually the most dangerous. So, it matters how all these four parts are composing our LDL. And, get this, there's no affordable test that separates these parts when we have a blood draw (Quest Diagnostics is working on this) and no current med to deal only with this bad LDL segment.

As I reported earlier, I reduced my LDL 30 points in less than six months by stopping all forms of dairy consumption. I actually continued this for about a year with no farther reduction. (By the way, your body may not react to all forms of dairy the same way.) So, in effect, I reduced my "good" LDL.

Now, I am on a natural statin--red yeast rice extract--which has reduced my LDL below 100, but seems to (contradictorily) have also reduced my HDL to 40 (the bottom line) when it was supposed to increase it. I guess everyone reacts differently.

I got the above information on the four parts of LDL from MEN'S HEALTH, updated on 2/14/2010, from an article titled "Bad Cholesterol: It's not what you think; It's time to rethink the halo-and-pitchfork view of our blood fat levels." You can probably find this interesting article via Google to get more information and the research story and data.

In the end, I am probably rejecting my above review of Page's WHITEWASH, but he wrote it based on the information he had. As the MEN'S HEALTH article will explain, this is new news and very scientifically based--and few established journals even wanted to print the scientist's research. So, he had to go to Europe to get the truth out.

Please don't respond negatively to this revelation until after you have read the above article.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Truth About Cows Milk, December 20, 2010
For over three decades I've been aware of the immense cruelty inherent in the dairy industry. I've also recognized how ludicrous it is for humans to believe that they need to consume the baby milk of a cow in order to meet their calcium needs.

What I didn't know, however, was just how bad cows milk is for our health. For example, until I read this book I was unaware that milk consumption had been linked to childhood diabetes, ovarian cancer, SIDS, infertility etc.

This book contains a wealth of information and I highly recommend it to everyone - milk drinkers and non milk drinkers alike.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a vegan and I think dairy is best avoided, but so is this poorly researched and poorly written book., May 15, 2013
This book includes a good summary of the many health and environmental issues with dairy consumption; however, it's not well written (for one thing, the author repeats himself - near identical sentences crop up repeatedly), and it supports discredited anti-vaccination theories, which undercuts the author's credibility. This was published in 2010, the same year Wakefield was struck off the medical register and The Lancet retracted its publication on Wakefield's unreproducible findings, so while that information was likely not available before this was published, Wakefield's theories were certainly not free from controversy, which is not even alluded to in this book. I would recommend avoiding this book and reading something with a better scientific foundation, such as The China Study for dairy health info. For a decent summary of environmental impacts touched on in this, I'd suggest the Omnivore's Dilemma (it may not be the best summary of those issues, but it's an accessible and reasonably reliable one for the most part).

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you really know about milk, other than the Got Milk ads and hearing "you need your calcium!"?, October 4, 2011
Jadecat (Lake Orion, MI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I picked this book up at the library on a mere whim. I almost put it back thinking that milk can't be that bad, otherwise it wouldn't sell like it does. But I kept it and read it. Now I want my own copy of the book. I've never been a big milk fan and thankfully never pushed it on my kids, but from now on, it is almond or coconut milk...and they like them.

Let's really think about it. Why does anyone feel compelled to drink cow's milk? One quote in the book roughly asks why would any adult find it necessary to nurse on a cow three times a day? Why not an antelope. Would you be appalled if someone served you a glass of antelope milk to drink? Yuck. But gladly take that cow's milk, containing hormones, pesticides, pus, and any assortment of antibiotics, dioxins, bovine cancer cells, all kinds of good stuff.

This book isn't one man's opinion of milk. He basis the book on countless studies that show milk can have debilitating effects on a wide assortment of people. Kids can have unknown allergies to it, it may even be related to autism when the milk proteins (which humans aren't great at digesting) cross over into the bloodstream and mess with the nervous system.

And the whole calcium thing. Wake up. How does every other animal have strong bones? Drinking cow's milk? No. From the foods they eat. A cow gets its calcium from the grass and grains it eats. But most cows that are milked don't get to graze on grass, no, for the milk hungry world they are kept in small pen and milked numerous times a day. If they are sick and standing in their own feces and urine, all the better, keep milking! This statistic is shocking: 50 years ago (when cows could roam a bit on dairy farms), one cow would produce an average of 2000 lbs of milk a year. That average is now about 50000 lbs. Is it by magic? No, by a cow penned up in a stall, hooked to a machine all day, and of course they have to give the cow lots of growth hormones and make the cow's body think it is pregnant (all that yummy estrogen is floating in your milk now). Mastitis is common now in dairy farms, which means lots of pus gets into your milk, but don't worry the USDA limits the amount of pus, only 200 million pus (somatic cells) allowed in one Liter of milk. Still, tests showed an average of 322 million pus cells in milk that people drink. Go ahead and look it up, not a joke. They even award the company that produces the least amount of pus in milk. Way to go guys!

Anyways, you can get your calcium from much more natural sources, good ole vegetables is a start. Also ask yourself why the USA has so many osteoporosis issues when we are one of the leading consumers of cow's milk. Countries that don't drink lots of milk are doing fine. There are some cultures where cow's milk doesn't exist to them, and they aren't hobbling around on broken bones.

Bye bye milk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great support for healthy choices, January 10, 2011
As a recent vegan, I approached this book looking to find support for cutting loose my last food addiction: dairy. Even though, intellectually, I *knew* that my diet would supply me with everything I needed that I got formerly from dairy, I still found myself obsessing a bit over calcium. I was fresh off of reading Dr. Campbell's "The China Study", but still needed documentation. Whitewash provides further proof that we have all been deceived; recipients of 'the big lie.' Our relationship to dairy is so ingrained, so conditioned, that to break from the tradition is tantamount to being subversive.

Whitewash provides information that should be easily available to us all, but until now, has not been. In order to make an informed choice, one must be informed. This is the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health, January 3, 2011
I have been aware of some of the dangers of cow's milk for many years. I have gone through phases of ALMOST eliminating dairy from my diet several times over the past decade or so,only to be slowly drawn back in by cheeses, half and half in my coffee, butter, etc, etc... I convinced myself that if I bought organic, I was okay.

After reading Whitewash, I see that organic or not, dairy products are absolutely not meant for human consumption. The seemingly endless list of increased risk of diseases associated with dairy products should make everyone outraged that we have been brainwashed into believing that the milk of another species is necessary or even the slightest bit healthy for human beings.

I encourage EVERYONE to read this book, and demand that the milk lobby stop lying to the American public!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing, eye-opening, must-read, April 4, 2011
This book scientifically blows many cultural myths surrounding dairy consumption out of the water including: it's good for kids, it helps prevent osteoporosis, it doesn't contribute to any diseases. Backed up throughout with scientific facts, Keon's book will leave you seeing dairy as detrimental to your health as cigarettes. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, March 9, 2011
Ive read A LOT of different books on similar health topics and this one is a must read. Has new facts not mentioned in other books and even goes into things like fluoride, aluminum, caffeine, etc. Don't let ANYONE in your family eat another dairy product until you/they read this book!

Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health by Joseph Keon (Paperback - November 23, 2010)
$19.95 $14.40