1,529 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2 of these and have been using them every day.
***And yet another update 03/08/2014, Still using them. Still working without anything bending or breaking. Packed with everything from jeans to hoodies for years now. And both our sets are still holding strong.***

Published on April 20, 2010 by Angela Streiff

2.0 out of 5 stars Wobbly but still fairly sturdy
Published on July 26, 2012 by Beth

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2 of these and have been using them every day., April 20, 2010

*** Another Update 11/11/2013, three years later and we are still using these. They still look and are working just like new. Nothing has bent or broken***

***Update: 9/25/2012, two years later and we're still using both closet sets every day. They still look like the day I bought them. Nothing has broken or bent.***

We are a family of 4 in a small house. We decided it was time to turn the unused downstairs space in our home, that was a den, into a large master bedroom. That way our kids who are pre-teens could have the 2 larger bedrooms upstairs and I could make the small bedroom into an office. Everything was working out perfectly until we discovered we had no where to put our clothing.

Sure there were areas down in the laundry room where we could hang things, but we needed a place to have our every day clothes. But we just didn't have the money to put hundreds or thousands of dollars into building closets or armoires. These Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closets were just what we needed.

I spent about 2 weeks looking for an inexpensive closet set that was also sturdy. I found reviews on this set on several websites and decided to go with it. It took about 30 min to put together the first one, about 15 min for the second. Even though the whole set is light weight, it is very sturdy.

For my closet rack:
I have all of my smaller tops hanging from the top bar, and my heavier sweatshirts and sweaters on the bottom. I have about 40+ women's shirts (size Med or Large) on the top bar and the bar does not appear to be under any strain at all. They range from tank tops to long sleeve shirts, and everything in between. I have about 20 women's sweatshirts and sweaters (same sizes) hanging from the bottom bar and not only does it appear sturdy, I could easily put more on it.

I chose to take all of my denim jeans and fold them and stack them on the shelves on the side. I have a good number of jeans (about 15-20 pair) and even though I could have hung them up, I needed the hanging space for my tops. I have all of these jeans on one shelf.

I also use one of the shelves for my lounge/yoga style pants. I have about 25 pairs folded into one shelf.

I used the 3rd and 4th shelf with bins in them. I keep socks in one bin and undergarments in another.

Along the top of the closet, I was able to put a ton of handbags and bulky items. Lots of storage space up there.

My husbands closet rack:
He has all of his pants on the bottom bar, all of his tops on the top bar. He also uses bins for undergarments and socks. He also keeps his law enforcement gear, uniforms, and boots along the top shelves and he still has tons of space left to use.

So to wrap this up:
You can fit so much more on/in the closet then you could believe. The metal is lightweight, yet never bends of has any problems holding the weight of clothing. We have been using them as our everyday closets for a few months now and have had no problems with any kind of tipping or instability. It does not lean in any direction, and even totally filled up, we were able to pull the closets out from the wall and get something that had fallen behind it, and nothing bent, broke, tipped or crashed. So if your looking for something of good quality with an affordable price tag that will hold everything, this is it!

I am planing on ordering another one to have a place to hang formal clothing and seasonal outerwear that doesn't get used year round as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Normal Person's Experience, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
I am a college student who moved into a room of a house that didn't have a closet so I saw this on Amazon and decided to give it a try. This thing is in my room holding probably 60-80 articles of clothing on hangers and it is as sturdy as can be. I am very happy with my purchase. The people whose products are falling apart are obviously not putting the product together correctly and not following the instructions. The plastic is thick and strong and the metal has no flex. This has been an excellent product and I feel more organized than when I had a normal closet. If you need a closet, get this and put some elbow grease into your assembly. Make sure the pieces lock into place and above all else take your time.

To the guy putting books on the shelves and writing poor reviews: What are you thinking? It is a closet not a bookshelf, they have bookshelves for 13 dollars at Wal-Mart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
Our bedroom closet wasn't cutting it so we decided to convert a spare bedroom into a closet and looked into racks. These were priced great but we were a bit hesitant to trust them. After reading other reviews about their ability to hold up with a lot of weight we ordered several. They seemed a bit flimsy at first but once clothes and shoes were placed they did the job perfectly. I couldn't be happier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't ask for much more for this price., September 17, 2010
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
I was skeptical about this item at first because some gave it negative reviews. However I find few flaws in it after owning it for a few months now. I simply needed an additional place to hang clothes since my closet was too small. I can also lay folded clothes on the side shelves.

It's cheap, simple, and easy to put together. The guy who wrote the review about it breaking probably wasn't too sharp, I repeat it's easy to put together. It's made of plastic so use common sense, don't force anything and it won't break. It's also not going to hold too much weight but that was to be expected. Take it for what it is, a cheap way to make a small room or a room with no closet liveable.

My one and only con for this item. If you have both hanging rods in place it doesn't really offer enough room to hang things. For example, if you hang shirts from the top bar they will touch or rest on the lower bar. A minor pet pieve of mine that might not bother anyone else. I just took the bottom bar off which is easily re-attached.

All in all I am very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
The closet is very good and stable. However, it took my friend and I an hour (we are both girls) to set it up.That is why I give it 4 stars instead of 5 stars. It required a lot of strength to put each element into the plastic things, then it will be very stable. We hang up about 40 winter coats and sweaters and put several boots and pants on it. We've used the closet for more than 3 weeks and everything is fine. The closet doesn't collapse as some people said.

---Nov., 3rd, 2012
So I want to say that my roommate is still using it and we had moved twice, which means that we take the closet apart and set it up again for twice and it still works well! That is why I change it to 5 stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Wobbly but still fairly sturdy, July 26, 2012
Beth (Denver, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
This would be a great product but the dividers inside the tubes that keep the poles from going too far one way or the other are flimsy, three broke right out. It's standing, and seems sturdy but it is far from straight with lovely 90 degree angles and one post isn't even seated. But for 40 bucks, it's better than the pile of stuff that was there and is now neatly organized. Needless to say, my heavy coats won't be going on it.

I love assembling furniture, but if I had to do it again, I would have my OCD handyman put it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but even better with an easy DIY cover, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
This is inexpensive, sturdy, light, and easy to assemble (15-20 mins each). The only drawback was that no cover was available for purchase. We got around this by making our own cover using full length curtains. In all, making the "cover" took 10 minutes and a trip to home depot.

You'd need two vertical sections of 3/4 inch round dowling one for each side of the unit (four sections if you want the curtain to wrap around). The length of these vertical sections is to taste, but easiest if you calculate it based on the length of the curtain. They slot right into the existing holes of the unit.

For the horizontal bar (the makeshift "curtain rod"), we used 3/4 inch square dowling and screwed it into the vertical dowling on each side. Just make sure that you put the curtain on the "rod" before you screw it in.

The bonus effect of this approach is that you not only elegantly hide what is inside the unit, but you can also hide what is stacked on TOP of it. We placed two units side-by-side for use of a whole wall.

An excellent compromise for those who move frequently and don't want to invest in pricey custom closet solutions, or cheap unsightly ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very GOOD QUALITY product, GREAT VALUE!!, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
PROS:
Bought this item and received it in only 5 days, even with Free Shipping option!!! Excellent work from Amazon. The product is made of high quality metals and plastic. Very Lightweight, but Extremely sturdy. I was able to hang ALL of my (regular-use) shirts, trousers and jeans on this rack and there is not the Slightest sign of stress or bending anywhere on the product. And considering the price, as compared to other high quality racks, this is Amazing value!!

CONS:
I expected product to be *slightly* taller after assembly, but its fine the way it is. Really, It stands about 5 feet 8 inches tall. Only small gripe i have is that when i hang my shirts on the top crossbar, they reach the middle bar and crumple slightly at the bottom. But this is only a minor issue as I wear XL by the way, and most people's clothes wont be that long.

Overall, very good product and I am very happy with my purchase. Now my small room looks very tidy and organized. Amazon shipping was great too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was just what I hoped.... affordable and functional., April 15, 2013
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
I ordered two of these along with their 50 pair shoe rack. They are just right! I shopped every possible option and chose these for the size and variety of storage along with the price. They're awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice rack for gear, January 21, 2014
and-E (Seattle, Wa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitmor 6779-3044 Double Rod Closet, Silver (Kitchen)
Bought this to hold/organize our backpacking gear in our spare room.
It is plenty sturdy for the task and works great for all of our gear.

Whitmor  6779-3044  Double Rod Closet, Silver