5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Amazing, Spectacular!!!
Published on January 27, 2010 by Betty Boo

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING CD / DVD PACKAGE
I looked forward to owning this 25th Anniversary cd / dvd package because, as someone who owned the original cd, I expected remastered sound and lots of bonus features. But after listening to the cd and watching the dvd, I was left disappointed.

First the cd: I owned both the "Whitney Houston" and "Whitney" cds in the 1980s and I must say that in terms of sound...
Published on March 1, 2010 by Xavier Limtuaco

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Amazing, Spectacular!!!, January 27, 2010
I couldn't wait for this Anniversary Release of Whitney Houston's first album. The songs are just wonderfully remastered, and it's a pleasure to hear them again in such good quality! They did a wonderful job to add the Bonus Tracks - Thinking about you - Someone for me - How will I know (Acapella) as well as How will I know as dance remix. But the absolute highlight for me is the live version of The Greatest love of all from er performance in Radio City Music Hall in 1990! I guarantee everyone will get goosebumps over and over when hearing this song! She sounds just absolutely amazing! The second disc is a DVD with a conversation of Whitney and Clive Davis, which is very interesting. Also included are rare and wonderful performances. The first ever television appearance of Whitney with the amazing song "Home" at the "Merv Griffin Show" in 1983. Also an powerful early performance of her singing "I am changing" from Dreamgirls during the Arista Records 10th Anniversary in 1985. Amazing also the superb performance of "You give good love" from the 1st Soul Train Awards in 1987. In addition are the promo videos of "You give good love, Saving all my love for you, How will I know and The greatest love of all. If you are a Whitney Houston fan this is an absolute must have! If you want to listen to what made Whitney Houston "The Voice", please buy this Album, and you will be blown away by her very special talent!

5.0 out of 5 stars We finally got what we needed, please read!, January 28, 2010
I reviewed the previous edition of Whitney's first album and I gave it only four stars because they did not have the original version of The Greatest Love Of All on it. The original version is not as electronic for the masses, and it starts out with soft piano chords with Whitney's brilliant voice mixing with it flawlessly. This original version from the LP is superior to radio version. The radio version is the same one on her previous Whitney Houston CD and on all her greatest hits albums. The radio version also was the released 7' single version and video version. However, this CD was remastered from the original source LP and of course, has the original "The Greatest Love Of All". That is what we really needed. The price of the CD is worth it just for this original version alone. To hear it remastered, you'll have to lower the volume, since it is done so well. The only typo on the credits is when it lists the lyrics for the brilliant "Hold Me". It says 1985, which is when this album came out. Remember, this duet came out in 1984 on the Love Language album from the late, brilliant Teddy Pendergrass. However, they didn't forget to put 1977 for The Greatest Love Of All, since George Benson sang that for Muhammed Ali's The Greatest. Yet, this is really Whitney's signature song, even over "I Will Always Love You". True fans know that. The extras are great, but just to have this CD remastered the original way it was on LP is priceless. Thanks for reading, Joseph

We love you Whitney Houston and stay well. Love always, your fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is no doubt Whitney's absolute best work!, September 5, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
This is Whitney Houston's absolute best album. This was her debut album back in February 14, 1985 and made her phenomenally successful. If you are a fan of Whitney's heartfelt music, then this and her second album "Whitney" is a must for your music collection. To date, this is Whitney's most successful studio, non-soundtrack album. The only album that tops this in sales is the Bodyguard soundtrack. This album has sold about 23 million copies worldwide, while her second album sold 19 million to date.
I found that 4 of the songs on this album are the absolute best. These 4 are: "Saving all my love for you," "How will I know," "All at once," and "Greatest love of all." My personal favorite is "How will I know."
Unlike today's much younger music stars who have no talent and are popular only with the teen crowd, here is a diva that truly has a sensational voice whether it was singing the "Star Spangled Banner" or "One Moment in Time" at the 1988 Summer Olympics or "I will always love you" from the Bodyguard Soundtrack or one of her hits from her earlier albums, Whitney is a true diva, and I AM A TEEN!

4.0 out of 5 stars Has it been 25 years?, January 26, 2010
Arista Records has wisely re-released Whitney's debut album for early 2010. For obvious reasons, the album is celebrating its 25th anniversary; but more importantly, the album was in desperate need of a remaster. The remastering on this commemorative edition is excellent. Whitney's voice, so pure and soulful back in her formative years, shines through. Some of the tracks, such as Someone for Me, sound dated (particularly the reliance on drum machines, which were very popular back in the '80s). But as a whole, this is still a solid album. Of course, the album's monster singles, "You Give Good Love" (Whitney has never sounded more soulful), "How Will I Know", "Saving All My Love for You" and "Greatest Love of All," sound as good as ever. It's also touching to hear Whitney's duet with Teddy Pendergrass, "Hold Me," especially in light of Pendergrass' recent passing. There are some bonus mixes of "Thinking of You," "Someone For Me," and "How Will I Know," as well as a live version of "Greatest Love of All."

When I heard Arista was re-releasing this album, I was hoping we would get to hear some demos. There is a long-standing rumour that Whitney recorded a more soulful, R&B version of "Saving All My Love for You" but it was shelved in favour of the more pop-leaning version available on this edition. If this is true, I would love to hear that version. Unfortunately, there are no demos here. I get the impression that Clive Davis (executive producer, and who is featured in a lengthy interview in the the enclosed booklet) just wants to celebrate what was, not what could have been. He's featured so prominently throughout this commemorative edition that you almost begin to think that this is his album, but it's obvious he is still extremely proud of this album, which is understandable - this album was a defining moment in both his and Whitney's careers.

There is a bonus DVD featuring promotional videos and a live version of "Home" from the Wiz (these are already available on Whitney's Greatest Hits DVD) as well as a live version of "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls, and a live version of "You Give Good Love. "

If you don't own this, Whitney's first album, I highly recommend it. You will understand why this album was such a major success between 1985 and 1986. Back then, hearing this album, you knew Whitney was something special. The album was so successful, and the singles so good, many thought Whitney would never achieve the amount of success as her debut did. Seven years later, she would prove them wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P. AND THANK YOU, WHITNEY~~YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN !!!, February 11, 2012
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
I am shocked and grieving; Whitney Houston has died all too soon--she was merely 48 years old! The daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and even the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin, Whitney was born to be a star; and that's the way I will always remember her. "You Give Good Love" and "The Greatest Love of All" were two of my very favorite Whitney Houston tunes; it's great to have them here.

And the rest of what we get is nothing short of bliss; this is Whitney's very strong debut album that showcases her vocal prowess and proves she was a superstar. Numbers I really like include "Saving All My Love for You;" this number alone is worth the price of admission and has Whitney singing like very few others ever could! "Nobody Loves Me Like You Do" is a fine duet with Jermaine Jackson; and I also love that dance beat as Whitney sings flawlessly on "How Will I Know." "All At Once" is very poignant; Whitney massages the lyrics to this ballad like a pro! "Hold Me" is another great tune.

This is very highly recommended for any Whitney Houston fan; and it even makes a fine starter CD for anyone just discovering the incredible artistry of Whitney Houston.

Thank you, Whitney! We will never forget you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston, August 12, 2004
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston, had four number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christy? It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks. But "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written; about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in, to empathize with others. We can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message. Crucial really, as beautifully stated on the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars I could not be the only one on this, please read!!!, October 22, 2007
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
I have to agree that this is a five star album, being her best. But there is a reason I am giving this CD 4 stars. Hasn't anyone noticed that The Greatest Love Of All is not the version that was on the original LP. The version on this CD is the same song we always hear on the radio. The version on the original LP had a more simplistic feel, with soft piano chords and Whitney's voice brilliantly displayed. This original version from the LP is FAR SUPERIOR to version on this CD, or the greatest hits collection. Again, those versions of the song are the radio version. You have my word I am not lying to you. Actually, the LP version did appear on the original CD release from the 1980's. Mastering is one thing (as this CD really has to be remastered as well as the second album, both her best works), but not having the original version of a song that was released on the album is another. It's time to remaster the album as it was originally released, and to make everyone comfortable, put the radio version as a bonus from the prettiest female singer of 1980s and 1990s. Thanks for reading, Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely flawless; ages better than Whitney herself, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
Sadly, Whitney Houston has spent the last few years digging herself into a deep hole that she'll probably never get out of (no pun intended; she was still alive when this review was submitted), but she still has to be given credit for making one of the best albums ever; an album that argues strongly against the existence of the "skip" button. "Saving All My Love For You", "You Give Good Love", and "How Will I Know" were all huge hits and rightly so, but every song is absolutely beautiful, especially the funky gems "Someone For Me" and "Thinking About You" as well as the criminally underrated duet with Jermaine Jackson "Take Good Care Of My Heart." The next two albums that she made weren't quite as good, but she hadn't completely flushed everything down the toilet just yet. However, pretty much anything she made after 1990 is definitely bottom-drawer compared to her 80s material.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST WHITNEY, March 10, 2000
R. Penola (NYC, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
Before she succumbed to the bizarre life of a pampered and insolent superstar, Whitney Houston premiered her talent with this rapturous pop album. It has something for everyone, as evidenced by its string of hits. But every song is a marvel of production value, all of it showcasing the young and rangy gorgeousness of that still-pure voice. It makes me sad to listen to it now, given how Whitney's voice has debilitated over the last 15 years. But you will swoon over All At Once, one of the most well-crafted pop songs ever about lost love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Debut by Whitney...Now EVEN BETTER!, February 5, 2010
Seand67 "chakasworld" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm giving props to Arista for this 'Deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition' of Whitney Houston's debut CD (1985). I purchased my original CD back in the early 1990's (from the old Columbia House Record Club...LOL), and it's sound quality pales in comparison to the new edition. Oh, the 5 Bonus tracks, DVD, and improved packaging (new slipcase, rare photos, linernotes, and More!) don't hurt either. The slipcase is sweet, and the booklet includes lyrics, rare photos, and extensive comments by Clive Davis & Whitney Houston. If you own the previous 10 track edition of 'Whitney Houston', dump it ASAP, and purchase this awesome new edition. You won't be sorry.

Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 1990)