Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Who Are You: The Life Of Pete Townshend
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 29, 2009
In my Amazon.com review of Mark Wilkerson's last version of this book ("Amazing Journey: The Life Of Pete Townshend"), I remarked that it could be improved with new interviews with Pete's family, co-workers and Pete himself. That's exactly what Mark has been able to do to update this new edition.

The book has been organized a bit better, chapters are organized by years, and the new interviews have been woven into the biography. For me, there's still not enough new material from Pete. But new quotes from his brother Simon and his brother-in-law Jon Astley do add insight into Pete's personality.

This is still very much a "just the facts" type of book, and that's ok with me. A lot of hardcore fans may not find much new here, but I consider myself a fan and I learned a lot. Mr. Wilkerson's book is an excellent, clearly written reference, that also holds your attention. It would make an excellent gift for any Townshend/Who fan.
on November 19, 2009
Densely packed with detail on Townshend's life, most Who/Townshend fans will want to snap this up. Who fans should bear in mind though that this is not a history of the band, and obviously has a focus on Pete alone. The picture quality is not great, and I would have appreciated more detail on how Townshend actually crafts his songs and any guitar related info, but thats my bias! Its a hefty read, but well worth the effort.
on February 13, 2009
The book is a joy to read. The updated version of the story of Pete Townshend's life is fantastic. The writing is superb. Crisp, tight, and done the way a biography SHOULD be done: just give us the facts (and the interesting ones at that).

It is well-worth buying this newer version, especially for the new interview with Pete himself that has been integrated into the story. Lots of behind-the-scenes information, such as input from Pete's brothers on their life growing up with their older brother as one of the biggest rock stars in the world. Fascinating stuff!

Even long-time Who/Pete fans will learn things about THE MAN that they'll appreciate.
on December 8, 2015
It seems that alot of WHO FANS were big Pete Townshend fans - myself included rereading the many interviews, buying much of his sessions and productions for others etc.... A fan since 1971 or 72 - this book has overexceeded my expectations. Every part PT's musical career is painstakingly detailed. (Really, I highlighted alot while reading it.) The book is over 600 pages long (NO Discography!!!!) While reading it in amazement I sometimes forgot "this isn't aWho book". The story began being posted on line and Pete was interviewed (certain times I believe?) Hey this book has been on/off again for 4 months. Its just too much to absorb. Fans will enjoy this book as they would their favorite song(s)!!!!!!!! (PS Pete Townshend is a great guy - he took the time to send me a "Postcard" thanking me for the reviews I sent him on "Tommy" broadway play.....)
on November 20, 2014
This is a hard cover book, brand new I might add. Dust Jacket looks fresh off the press. I was lucky enough to get 4 tickets to see "The Who" in October of 2015 for "The Who Hits 50!" concert. This book is coming with me so I can get a chance to maybe get it signed by Pete Townshend, [I hope, I hope!!!]...
Back to this seller. I would buy from again with no problem. I am a seller on auction sites so I know how important it is to offer good products. The shipping was really fast, plus it's a great book to have.
on July 27, 2009
Very well written book by someone who is obviously a great Who fan. In difference from most other tomes on The Who it does contain a lot of new information on the group and Townshend in later years and is in that aspect really up-to-date. Indeed, it does in that sense not frustratingly focus on the years surrounding Tommy. In that sense it complements really well the other available books such as the one by Dave Marsh. It also does focus somewhat more on the solo work that Townshend has produced which is really nice. Of course again it suffers from being written by a fan who does not allways have enough perspective. It does however contain data from new interviews conducted by the author. This also gives the book a fresh approach missing from most similar books.
Of course it is not written by a master as Dave Marsh and it does come over slightly amateurisch at times but it is refreshing. However for a subject as complex as Pete Townshend, and this is a book about him, there is very little on his life, especially very little is revealed about his wife and divorce and the only quotations come from other already known sources so in that sense it is frustrating because by being too much of a fan book it treats its subject with too much respect again. here again a new book written by a more biting British rock journalist would be wellcome. I suppose however they would not be interested and have, unfortunately, written Townshend off. this is unfortunate because the man has on and off been able to demonstrate that the can still produce some great music and the recent return to form of the live Who is proof that there is still life in the beast. Also the bok, if it is about a musically important subject as PT should at least try to go into detail about some of the stuff that would interest the nerdier contingent of his fan base such as his gear and songwriting. It is well to describe some stuff how it was conceived but it does fail to go into the more daily routine of the songwriting process.
on July 10, 2012
If you weren't around to follow Townshend and The Who through most of their career, this book will fill you in on many of the epic adventures you missed. The fascinating quotes and anecdotes will enrich your appreciation for the man, his music, and the artistic process.
on May 14, 2013
I believe Mr. Townsend is a fantastic songwriter and musician. However, this book gave me little insight as to who is Peter Townsend as a man. It is always interesting to note that these famous rock stars get divorced from the person who has taken the most abuse over the years and still stayed loyal only to have the relationship end. Then in almost all cases the men end up with women more than half their age who understand them so well. This was a slog to read. I thought it would never end. The endless accounts of the Who and Townsend's tours were boring. I would have liked to read more about his interactions with all the famous musicians he worked with through the 60's. 70,s and 80's.
on February 4, 2014
I really enjoyed this and loved the detail (detail tended to be lacking in Daltry's biography). pete was and probably still is simply great. I'm only 35% thru the book so I'd like to know how the book treats his later years but as it stands now, good stuff
on October 12, 2011
Who Are You The Life Of Pete Townshend is well written and organizes the vast amount of information in a logical and easy to read way. Nice pictures too (although black & white). I recommend it for any Who fan.

[DW]