5.0 out of 5 stars What an enjoyable book
Published on August 22, 2000 by atmj

3.0 out of 5 stars 101 Interesting Ways To Discover Yourself?
This is a visually beautiful book with tests and profiles that are supposed to guide you towards seeing yourself better.
Published on June 23, 2004 by V. Marshall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What an enjoyable book, August 22, 2000
atmj (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself (Compass) (Paperback)
When I received this book in the mail from Amazon, the first thing I did was to page through it completely. The art work is riveting. Malcolm Goodwin's illustrations have such motion in them they are a joy to look at. The color and illustrations as well as the quality of this publication is top-notch. This was obvious by just paging through it the first time. I've nearly dog-eared the pages by now.
As a person who has dabbled with astrology, numerology, palm reading, personality types, etc. this books puts them all in one place and simply. It is like all my mini-vices in one neat package.
There are four sections of evaluations: Body, Feeling, Thinking and Spiritual. In each of these you can evaluate where you fit and what characteristics each type is endowed with.
The introduction at the beginning of the book puts it all into perspective. You get out of this book what you put into it. The author indicates there are four ways you can approach the book.
1. As entertainment.
2. As a map of the types of people out there, some we are kin to.
3. A means of understanding your own behavior.
4. A means of realizing who you are, versus who you think you are or want to be.
Rarely does a book truly respond to all these needs. If you want a lightly entertaining book and you dive in with that attitude, you'll get that. If you want a sense of direction of where you are to where you want to be. This may help you get there. If you want a sense of who you are, this can help.
I don't know if people serious in any of these subjects would find this book accurate or even correct. I really don't know enough to check this. And if I did, what would be the point?
This book is about self discovery. To be honest, I doubt someone really serious in any of these would buy this book unless to look at the areas they are not that experienced in. Each topic of self discovery, all 101 of them take up only (2) 8-1/2" X 8-1/2" pages. Just enough to introduce the topic, give you the scale to work with and it's characteristics. If you want to go further on the topic, you have enough background information to start digging in.
I have spent many an entertained hour just going back and forth from one topic to another. What is really neat is when a bunch of people look at it all at once too. The discussions can get pretty interesting. It is a discovery in itself when you see what ratings others give you. Teenagers have a ball with this.
This book is perfect for the young person who is trying to realize who they are and who they want to be. For the middle ager like myself and the elderly, it is interesting to note where I've been as well as where I'm going. You can also look at your children's types as well.
All and all, this book is a good investment.
This is a book that can be fun, introspective and enlightening.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Who Are You" is a great tool in journey of self-discovery, January 13, 2000
I'm not sure there are words in existence that could describe what I thought as a turned through Malcolm Godwin's new exploration of self-discovery. This book was exactly what I was looking for, needed. And, let me tell you, I am so glad I found it.
The strangest thing was that, during the time period when I stumbled on "Who Are You ..." I was going through a rough bout of depression. It seemed that the core of my problems was that I wasn't sure who I really was inside, what I wanted to pursue in the future.
Being in my college years, this depression came at an extremely fragile time, as the college ages provide enough confusion and difficulty as it is. Anyhow, I went to visit my brother (who knew I was pretty down and out), and he told me I should check out this new book he had. Trusting in his literary taste (as always) I took the paperback from his hands, and began flipping through it.
So much of what Godwin explains is true. I couldn't believe how much I agreed and related several of the 101 ways. This title is undoubtedly a stroke of genius, which everybody in the world should read. All human beings need to find themselves, and we all go through these stages of self-discovery. Godwin's new book may well be just the dictionary of self-discovery knowledge people need to succeed at the feat.
I cannot say how much better I felt after completing "Who are you ...". Everybody should give it a try. Who knows, you might find a whole different personality in yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable guide to self understanding and discovery., February 13, 2000
Simply put, this is the best book ever in regards to understanding yourself. Covers almost every topic you could possibly imagine from body type, hand shape, dominant personalities, astrology (not just Western philosophies), aptitude tests and an almost endless amount of information. Worth five times more than the price. A definite must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing wealth of self awareness test., May 30, 2003
There are more psychological and self awareness test here than you will ever find within a single book.
It does not dig in depth in anyone direction, but gives you such a broadbased exposure to everything that is available. This will invite you to do further reading on your own on any one methodology that you found particularly relevant to your own character. In itself, this book has a unique value. I have never come accross to another book like this. It has no substitute or competitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Discover the Real You!, June 12, 2005
This colorful book is full of beautiful illustrations and information about the various types of personalities. Most of us tend to assume that everyone else responds to the world in much the same way as we do, and we're shocked when they don't.

This book shows how dramatically dissimilar people prove to be, and that you are not alone. We are not fixed in space or time, and we are constantly changing. We each have a unique individuality.

Ordinary people see no difference between men (Pascal). Our outer image may not mirror who we are on the inside. If we were misjudged as children, we build up armor and strategy to cope with the 'brand.' Yet we must escape those bonds as adults, else we have a false sense of 'self.' Self-esteem damage in childhood may make you semi-unsocial, but you should accept yourself as you are and never stop growing into the person you want to be.

You must reconstruct an inner picture of who you have become so that you can expand into wholeness, integrity, and health instead of becoming fragmented , contracting and in ill health. A good outlook makes for good mental health and a happy disposition, and others will emulate your positive attitude.

If you take the different tests in this book , your whole individual personna will emerge, giving you a fuller and more accurate self-portrait of who you are now. You will discover that your "weaknesses" are due to accidents of birth and situations outside your control.

You will gain a more realistic knowledge of your own abilities, strengths, and weakness, and give you knowledge of how other people interact and behave. We all have imperfections. There are differences between who you are, who you think you are, and who you have become!

This journey of self-discovery contains the road signs you need leading to your destination of realizing who the real you is and how worthy you are in the stratasphere of the universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Are You? : 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself, November 2, 2001
By A Customer
Excellent coffee table book or for leafing through yourself. Eveyone who visits my home raves about the book. Everyone can relate to some area of the book - you don't have to read it from cover to cover, you can simply find pages that interest you. It gives you numerous ways to look at yourself - all very interesting.

3.0 out of 5 stars 101 Interesting Ways To Discover Yourself?, June 23, 2004
V. Marshall (North Fork, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
There are four sections in this book: Body Types, Feeling Types, Thinking Types and Spiritual Types. Each section contains several ways of pinpointing your unique structure. Unfortunately some of the profiles offset one another, such as having a thin body full of energy and being told later that you were born under a sign that encourages laziness....but then I don't think it is meant to be entirely accurate just entertaining. Regardless the tests and profiles are interesting and fun to do. The best part of this book is the way it makes you step out of the norm and see yourself under a new age light.
I recommend this book purely for the entertainment value and something interesting to do on a lazy afternoon or with friends. But to really see yourself just take a long look in a mirror and be honest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way of finding out for yourself what type of person you are!, March 23, 2006
This book is a conglomerate of 101 "tests" ranging from physical appearance, to customs, things you do, like or dislike. It's funny to find out that how you see yourself sometimes differs a lot from how people see you. This book is for those who are looking to have a fun and good time finding out how you see yourself and how those around you see and value in you. Great tool to objectively become a better person and showing you your areas of improvement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Inspiring, October 21, 2004
J. A Carty "Jessie Carty" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have had this book for a while and I have enjoyed it immensely. You can pick it up anytime you feel the need to look inside yourself for a moment.

As noted in other reviews, there are a wide variety of tests that reach to all edges of the metaphysical globe.

You will have lots of opportunities to think about what the tests say about yourself. I also feel that you could use many of these tests as ice breakers or party games.

This is a very versatile book and for the cost you will get some of the best art work of any "psychological" testing!

5.0 out of 5 stars for sh*&s and giggles, July 17, 2005
I think the book should come with a disclaimer.. Do not take these tests as serious psychological assessment! I think the book has wonderful entertainment value (5 stars worth). The tests are catalysts for introspection, which ultimately help in figuring out who we are. All I'm saying is don't go jump off a bridge if your 'Are you stable?' test brings less than desirable results.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself (Compass)
Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself (Compass) by Malcolm Godwin (Paperback - January 1, 2000)
$25.00 $16.74