4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, too many executions....
...literally. The concept is that the hated editor of a number of authors has been murdered. Since each of the writers have a motive to off the man, hilariously named Herman Mildew, they must each give an alibi for their whereabouts.

Published 19 months ago by dSavannah George-Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but too long
The beginning is interesting, but then it gets boring. I would have cut half the chapters out. You just get bored before you're halfway through.
Published 4 months ago by Gamanit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, too many executions...., January 20, 2013
dSavannah George-Jones (Southern Belle, y'all :)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The concept is brilliant, and I wish I'd thought of it. (Have I mentioned *I'm* an editor?) It's fun to read, with alibis ranging from "I couldn't have done it; I love Hermie even tho he doesn't like me to call him that and in fact has a restraining order against me" to "My alibi is a list of failed attempts at trying to murder him". The authors participating in the project write for children and young adults, so it was fun to read something (slightly) more adult.

I love that the proceeds benefit 826NYC, a literacy and creative program for kids. I hope lots of people buy this book so the organization gets tons of money.

However, there are just too many alibis. Although they are (mostly) original, after awhile they run together and it gets to be too much. I think this volume would have been better with at least 25 fewer. It also would have been nice to have had more illustrated alibis; there are only a few. Of course, I realize this was dependent on the authors who agreed to participate. I recommend getting a copy; just don't try to read it in one sitting!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is better than ok, but I didn't like- like it., January 17, 2013
Julia Walter (Cobleskill, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is over eighty YA writers, most of them writing two pages on how they weren't the killer of the odious editor Herman Mildew.

"You look as busy as a teenager's thumbs," I said..."Guilty as a nun with Beauty Queens stashed in her wimple."(20) Written by Judy Blundell.

Todd Strasser writes: "Oh no. Don't tell me you're still reading this. What am I, the fifty- fifth author in a row who is supposed to spew out the same nonsense about the death of some pompous jerk named Herman Mildew?"(299) This was fun-nish, but ended up getting old. I would have preferred fewer writers and longer stories, but then the authors should have gotten paid, not written to benefit 826NYC, a worthy organization.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars? It should be 80!!!!!!, January 3, 2013
S. Berner (Cocoa, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To begin with, even if this were the worst book ever written, it would be worth buying since the proceeds go to 826NYC a literacy program for kids.

BUT it is, most definitely NOT the "worst" book ever... it's one of the best of it's kind!

WHAT kind?

The multi-author "novel" (see: Naked Came the... fill it in)

"Multi", did I say? Try 80 of the best Children's authors ever!

And each and every one of them MAY be guilty of the murder of Herman Q Mildew, the most despicable book editor... EVER... EVER... EEEEEVVVVER

But, each of them has an alibi... which they wrote... and which makes up this book

Until the SHOCKING! SURPRISING! STUNNING! ending!

Buy it! Read it! DON'T give it to a friend! Make them buy it, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book for English Teachers, Librarians and Children's/YA Lit Fans, January 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a wonderfully wicked idea. Who Done It? is a fundraising project for 826NYC, described in the book as "a nonprofit organization and superhero supply company dedicated to supporting students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills, and helping teachers inspire their students to write."

The premise is that Herman Q. Mildew - an editor that was an author's worst nightmare - has been murdered. He is described as "Mr. Burns meets Stalin, but worse (appearance and odor-wise) than a gluttonous farm pig. Each of the authors is summoned to give their alibi. The results are hilarious. The authors scramble to come up with alibis and explanations, sometimes even trying to shift blame to one another.

I will definitely recommend this book to my local high school English teachers. I can see a new writing class assignment in the future. Students must write an essay on why they couldn't possibly have killed Miss Mothballs, the English teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Done It?, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Who Done It? (Hardcover)
Wow wow wow, I am so mad that I didn't hear about this book at ALL prior to its release, despite following a bunch of the authors inside online. This has to be one of my new favorite reads. So many great inside jokes and broken fourth walls and satirical self-referential humor. I am thankful that I found this at my library and saw all of the great authors' names on the cover. Others have pointed out that it is repetitive, but I think it's really interesting to see what each author did with the limited information they were given. Yes, some of them ended up with similar stories, but how cool is that, to compare what each author ended up with? What an imaginative writing exercise and showcase of the brightest voices in YA. This book probably wouldn't go over too well with people who had no familiarity with any of the authors inside, but with the sheer volume of authors showcased, it feels like there has to be something for everyone. Major props to Jon Scieszka, and kudos to everyone involved for deciding to give the proceeds to such a cool cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Nah, I just like hearing you say it", May 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm probably spoiling something important here when I say the mystery is beside the point. This is a book of short, silly vignettes in which each author tries to come up with a ridiculous alibi for a murder of someone who absolutely no one wanted alive (think of the joke with the punchline in the review title). And although I'm not familiar with a lot of these authors, there are some real names on this list like Dave Eggers and Lemony Snicket.

Basically, everyone is spinning yarns here. There's poetry, epistolary Twittering, and more red herring than a North Sea fishing boat. Few pieces are more than a couple of pages long. Some are elaborate, some are blatant lies, some are completely nonsensical; as the subtitle says, the literature here is indeed criminal. Most are funny, or at least entertaining. And it's all for a good cause, so it's worth the money. As long as you don't go in expecting Agatha Christie, you'll enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Than the Sum of Its Parts, March 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Notorious editor and serial heart-breaker Herman Mildew is dead, and now more than 80 children's and YA writers and illustrators have to talk - or, more accurately write, and occasionally draw - their way out of suspicion. Reading what basically amounts to a writing assignment for professional writers (your loathsome editor is dead; you were found near the body; explain) is fascinating - in terms of range of responses, similarities in thought patterns, and insights into the publishing industry. The authors' alibis range from amusing to hilarious to inspired. And yet, for all the delicious writing within, this anthology doesn't quite soar. Simply, the stories never build up to anything; they are stand-alones within a shared universe. And there are quite a lot of them.

This book makes a good bathroom read. Fun to pick up - but easy to leave behind until next time. I prefer my books enthralling. Nonetheless, it's a fun romp and readers will enjoying seeing the alibis of some of their favorite authors (plus lots of new-to-them ones). One final caveat: some of the alibis touch on mature subjects, which unfortunately slides the book into more of a YA territory than it would otherwise need to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Home Run for YA Aficionados, February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who reads a lot of YA fiction, and especially those who are major fans of the authors. It is slightly long, with over 70 different authors' takes on why they did not kill editor Herman Mildew (even though most of them are suspect in some way, and almost all admit to wanting him dead). But I can't think of one entry that I would have deleted.

As I said, if you are a YA insider, then you'll love the in jokes (In her entry Emily Jenkins, a beloved children's author, pokes fun at someone who might use a pen name, when in fact she writes YA under the name of e. lockhardt), not to mention the personality-filled, 1st person, humorous accounts from whichever author you love.

Check out some of the powerhouses featured (children's and YA authors, but all writing in an adult/young-adult way):

Judy Blundell
John Green
Maureen Johnson
Mo Willems
Elise Broach
Lauren Myracle
Rebecca Stead

All in all -- a very fun read, either to sit down and read straight through, or to pick up here and there when you want a short reading fix.

The only disappointment is that you don't really get an answer at the end, though the twist is clever in itself, and it hardly had read as a serious fact-gathering mission to that point, so I wasn't surprised.

CONTENT NOTE: I was familiar with Jon Sciezcka's GUYS READ anthologies (fantastic!), so I automatically assumed that this was a collection for that same middle-grade 9 - 12 audience. It's not. It's definitely young adult, with a bit of mild profanity and some sexual references (about affairs and whatnot).

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but too long, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Who Done It? (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Received item that was "not for sale", April 26, 2014
This review is from: Who Done It? (Hardcover)
I received the book but it was not the final copy and it clearly said not for sale on it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Who Done It?
Who Done It? by Michelle Gagnon (Hardcover - February 12, 2013)
$17.99 $13.86