5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Keller
Published on January 19, 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Yikes! Terrible Cringeworthy Grammar!
Wow, I can hardly believe this book was published! There is no way I'm letting my child read a book that has such ridiculous errors.
Here are a few examples, but by no means is it all of them.

Page 50 “At the water pump. Helen held her mug under the tap.”
Page 2 “She wrote several books. And she gave lectures around the...
Published 5 months ago by still breathing

1.0 out of 5 stars Yikes! Terrible Cringeworthy Grammar!, February 9, 2014
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
Here are a few examples, but by no means is it all of them.

Page 50 “At the water pump. Helen held her mug under the tap.”
Page 2 “She wrote several books. And she gave lectures around the world.”
Page 3 “After his first wife died, and he married a woman named Kate Adams.”

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Keller, January 19, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller (Turtleback)
I loved this book because it made sense. It told about Helen Keller's life and as a blind and deaf kid and adult . It also told about where she went to school and about the places she went .It told about who taught Helen how to read and write and talk! I also liked this book because it was hard to put it down when I had to go somewhere. This book also told about her little sister and how Helen got sick and turned blind and deaf and how her teacher died. This book was great! You should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biographies for Beginners, August 8, 2007
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
Wonderful introduction to biographies for the early reader set (6-10 yrs old, depending on reading ability). It provides enough info to be useful, but not so much that the child is bogged down and loses interest. The series is fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great subject for a children book., March 24, 2007
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
Great subject for a children book. I got this series of books for my daughter and she really enjoyes reading them. Great read and educational too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kid review, April 1, 2012
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. I thought that it was amazing how many things Helen Keller could do since she was both deaf and blind. The book told you who taught Helen and all the other things that happened in her life. I like the Who Was series. I think anyone will enjoy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good series, not so good individual volume, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
While I as a school librarian appreciate the popularity of the "Who Was...?" junior biography series, I find the quality uneven. Other volumes have been wonderful, but I found the Helen Keller book to be awkwardly written, including many pages where the author jumped from one aspect of Ms. Keller's life to another, with little or no transition. The author should have been aware that Helen's father was called "Captain" as a title; it is not correct to refer to him just as "Captain" as if it were his given name. If the book is truly written for up to 10-year-old children, it falls into the lower reading level end, with extremely short and choppy sentences... not a challenge for the 4th and 5th-graders who will be reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
Good educational book for my kids. I read it to them and now one year later they are reading it back to me! =) Very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading the book "Who Was Helen Keller?" By: Gare Thompson very much. I loved reading about Helen Keller's good experiences like learning how to read and write and her bad experiences like having temper issues and how she handled them. She learned so much for being both deaf and blind. I like how the author described her experiences and how year after year she got better at handling them. I also love how the author made the bond between Helen Keller and her teacher a big part of the book. The pictures also helped picture what Helen Keller was going through because it gave you an actual image to picture in your mind as well as seeing it on the page. It overall showed how strong Helen Keller actually was. I know that she was and still is a great role model to people all over the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Novel About the Life of Hellen Keller, September 20, 2009
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
The book, "Who Was Hellen Keller?" by Gare Thompson is a very enjoyable book on Hellen Keller's life story. The book is filled with many visual images that help show what certain parts of Hellen Keller's life was like. The author describes Hellen's accomplishments, such as learning brail, touring the world, writing a novel, and going to college. The author also includes her failures, such as being rejected by schools, having a temper, lack of money, and being accused of faking her disabilities. This novel gives readers a complete picture on what Hellen Keller's life was like, with vivid descriptions and visuals on almost every page. After reading this book, I realized how grateful i am for having all five senses. I was also inspired by Hellen's courage and patience throughout her life, because many people have given up when in her position. The novel, "Who Was Hellen Keller?" is a concise and enjoyable book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for upper elementary students, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Who Was Helen Keller? (Paperback)
As a teacher of fourth grade, I have found this series to be indispensable when it comes to having my students create their biography pizzas. The information is presented in an easy to read format and contains pictures throughout. When I think back to my days in school, I always found biography books dry and dull. The authors of this series manage to present the information in an engaging manner. I often have children who read more in the series after their project is finished.

Who Was Helen Keller?
Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson (Paperback - August 25, 2003)
$4.99 $4.49