5.0 out of 5 stars who switched off m y brain
Published on December 18, 2007 by Karla Harper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For the Fainthearted
Published on August 14, 2008 by C. Hawke

5.0 out of 5 stars who switched off m y brain, December 18, 2007
This book is a great tool for finding out why our brain and thoughts can make us sick.. Just a few changes I learned from this book has made my life happier, healthier. I read our brain has been trained by the things that have happened or things being said to us,and what we have said to our selves. How much damage can be visable on e-rays. That can be reversed by changing what we think and say for a better us. This book should be in all schools and hospitals, libraries. I would like to see every one healthier and happier.
k in IL.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT DISSAPPOINTING !!!!!, December 5, 2009
This review is from: Who Switched Off My Brain? Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions (Hardcover)
One of the most important books on how our thoughts chemicially effect our behavior, personal diseases and the healing process. Dr. Leaf confirms through her accurate and solid neuroscience research what the Holy Bible has said for over 3,000 years "As a man or woman thinks, allowing their spirit, mind, will, emotions and body to absorb those thoughts and images, to that degree they will become (in their spirit, soul and body) what they have thought about". A must read book for serious and open-minded students and professionals.

Martin W. Oliver II Ph.D.
specializing in human behavior and chemistry
Meridian, Mississippi

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Switched On My Brain: Contrlling Toxic Thoughts, February 1, 2008
I was thrilled to read this book. I had been studying and teaching about renewing our minds in the Truth of God's Word and learning how to take thoughts captive. Dr. Leaf in this book gives a great summary of this and takes it to the next level of how God created our brains and how current research is in line with what God asks us to do to find His peace and be healthier mentally, spiritually and physically. I found this complimented several other books on the topic well. Jennifer Rothschild's, SelfTalk/SoulTalk and Joyce Meyer's Battle Field of the Mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read every 6 months!, April 5, 2008
This is a must read every 6 months--the solidly based research and good
practicality makes this a MUST READ for every person who wants to stay healthy emotionally, spiritually, and physically..My oh my, what great power resides in the brain and our thoughts!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So true..., September 19, 2008
I'm so glad to see that science is beginning to catch up and agree with the Word of God. I heard about this book from a ministry associate of mine and read a borrowed copy and have just ordered one for my own. What Dr. Leaf teaches in this book is exactly what the Bible has taught for centuries--that our lives are for the most part a byproduct of the way we think, what we hear, what we say, and what we believe. Sadly, these principles have been "spiritualized" in the modern church that focuses more upon religious rituals and outward discipline rather than the practical aspects of God's Word. One may accuse the writer of promoting the "power of positive thinking" but a very quick study of God's Word will reveal these things to be true.

One reviewer mentioned there were no "practical methods" to implement these truths. I disagree, but the Word of God has an abundance of information on this subject. In a nutshell, if a person focuses his/her mind and affections on God and His infinite goodness, the byproduct of this is life and peace. The world around you may be in utter chaos, but within your heart the peace of God allows you to be victorious over any and all situations--including sickness and disease. One may assert that a person cannot be mindful of God throughout our busy days, but you can. It's true that we worry about things and still are able to accomplish daily tasks, so why not simply "worry" about the things of God. All worry is is meditating on the wrong thing. This is what it means to "pray without ceasing..."

"Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." [Romans 12:2]
"As he thinks in his heart so is he." [Proverbs 23:7]
"You (God) will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in you." [Isaiah 26:3]
"For to be carnally minded is death, but to spiritually minded is life and peace." [Romans 8:6]
(Read also Joshua 1:8; Philippians 4:6-9; 2 Corinthians 10:3-6; Colossians 3:1-4)
Jesus said, "According to your faith be it unto you." [Matthew 9:29] and "Go your way, and as you have believed so be it done unto you." [Matthew 8:13] The Lord also said, "For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned." [Matthew 12:37] and "Take heed what you hear..." [Mark 4:24]
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and them that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." [Proverbs 18:21]
Read also James 3:1-6 to see that the tongue (words) control and influence our bodies in the same way a bridle is used to control a horse, and a helm is used to steer a ship. (also 2 Corinthians 4:13)

One might say, "I don't believe this." Well, it won't work for you because a person's life is based on what they believe. Not believing in this simply means that a person is believing something else--contrary to what God's Word says.

What makes this book great is that it doesn't speak "religious" language that turns off secular and non-Christian people. I pray for the day that the academic and scientific world will finally admit that what the Bible teaches is true.

By the Grace of God I Am What I Am (Study Guide & Workbook)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For the Fainthearted, August 14, 2008
C. Hawke "oldmoviequeen" (Farmington, MN United States) - See all my reviews
The first half of this book is very technically written. That is not the problem with it even though it is directed at laymen. You can get through the technical writing. The problem is that the book is written very sternly. There is the continual implication that if you do not control your thoughts and soon, you will give yourself diseases and worse. So the powerful punch of this book is to admit you make yourself sick by a negative thoughtlife, the majority of which you are not even aware of and that you must change, post haste. The author comes off hardline against any drug use, which is impractical and creates self condemnation for those who have used and may continue to depend upon prescriptions to treat brain chemical imbalances. She states that the brain can be retrained to think properly and the body will subsequently produce all the chemicals it needs to be its own happiness and peace drugstore.

Excellent! We all want that desperately. However, life gets in the way. This mortal corruption gets in the way. The environment does impact us whether we think about it or not. I wonder how these power thinkers will power their way through menopause and midlife transition if their brain chemicals go to heck in a handbasket. I tried power thinking my way through it and failed miserably. My anxiety shot level through the ceiling. It's possible that there may be physical imbalances not created by the human thought process - you may not be able to avoid brain chemical imbalance in puberty or menopause by positive thinking. Not because the positive thinking does not work but because we are imperfect living in a toxic environment. I believe there are some brain chemical imbalances that may be physiological just based upon personal experience. These may require external aids IMHO. Furthermore, I am convinced that this body and mind, which God designed and created, He can certainly fix...any part of it at any time as He sees fit. The author is a believer and this theme will recur during the course of the book.

I suspect that most people reading the book are already fearful and want to learn HOW to control their thoughtlife with proven practical help. The eager reader will try to zip through to the end of the book to find the answers but unfortunately, they are not really there. The suggestions given are simply to block the bad thoughts and little practical instruction is given on how to create both new and positive thoughts leading to memory overlay that will hopefully, end the tormented negative thinkers misery and by implication, save his or her life. For this, one might choose to go through cognitive feedback therapy with a professional.

Lots of good technical information that needs updating here, as the materials listed as sources date back to the 70's. But as far as finding answers to the perplexing issues of how to recognize and take charge of your thought life, they are not sufficiently detailed here to create a program for daily progress and eventual deliverance from negative thinking. There are suggestions for improvement but not instructions. This book would be better used for research than self help as it reminds me somewhat of a Masters thesis.

*I have seen the author on TV recently and she is offering more materials that may pick up where this book leaves off. I don't know if they will prove more useful or not to the layman. I have not seen them. If she has come up with a more instructional program for practical laymen use, I would certainly enjoy reviewing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, August 22, 2008
Emma Cooper (Middletown, Delaware, United States) - See all my reviews
I actually enjoyed this book very much. It was insightful and gave some clarity to something I was reading up on . I enjoyed the fact that Dr. Leaf shared what happens physically with thoughts and experience. It helped me to know that recurring thought life experiences are not happen chance and with a change in our behavior, time and consistency they can be changed. It is a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, March 22, 2010
I recently experienced a panic attack crisis in my life that was almost completely dibilitating. I went through the 13 steps to controlling toxic thoughts and emotions found in Dr. Leaf's book and consider them a big part of helping to pull me out of a terror filled situation. I recommend this book to anyone who is serious about taking control of their thought life and living free from tormenting emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOK ABOUT THINKING, November 17, 2009
A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR THINKING AND HOW TO INPROVE YOUR LIFE. WOW!!!WOW!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither reliable nor helpful, August 25, 2009
L. B. Young (Port Byron, IL) - See all my reviews
This book was a gift and upon reading the book jacket I had high hopes for it. I was disappointed. The neurobiological vocabulary makes the premises sound plausible to the lay reader, but the conclusions Leaf draws are pure hokum: "You can literally 'grow your brain at will.'" Oh really? (FYI, "literally" is a favorite word of this author and she frequently deploys it erroneously.) Leaf seems to confuse the brain with the mind, which is a problem for someone claiming to be an authority on information processing. I searched and could not find in what discipline she earned her doctoral degree. This lack of disclosure raises red flags, as does the lack of peer-reviewed research on her CV. I am a devout Chrisitan with a Ph.D. in human communication from an accredited, top-five program in the U.S. I am making these points not to denigrate Dr. Leaf's efforts, but rather to elevate the level of scientific rigor of social science research published from a Christian perspective. If we are to be taken seriously we must do better than this.

Who Switched Off My Brain?  Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions
Who Switched Off My Brain? Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions by Caroline Leaf Ph.D. (Hardcover - November 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $16.33