Customer Discussions > Lost: Season 3 forum

Who do you think is in the coffin?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2008 2:59:11 PM PST
What's everyone's vote for who the person in the coffin is in the season finale?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 8:10:02 PM PST
I can't see it being anyone other than Locke or Ben.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 8:07:41 AM PST
Ben was my original thought. Then I thought perhaps Juliet. But I need to rewatch a scene to determine if the sex of the person in the coffin was ever actually mentioned. My girlfriend suggested Locke, but unless it's because of something we haven't seen, I didn't think Kate would react so badly to Locke.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 4:38:49 PM PST
I'm almost certain a male pronoun was used referring to the deceased.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 6:32:20 AM PST
AMO says:
It has to be Ben. The question to Jack was quite simple friend or family?. Both John and Juliete were friends of Jack. The inly person that was not a friend neither family but Jack could be missing is Ben.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 11:18:24 PM PST
Locke. He could have done something crazy to p-o Jack in the future again ("sorta" future at this point).

Jack showed a lot of emotion when hearing the news. Then in the parlor, he touched the coffin with sadness then pulling away because of anger?..Don't think Jack would ever care much if Ben were to die. Where as Jack and Locke have always had the friend/enemy battle between each other. Ever since "man of faith" and "man of science".

On top of that,the neighborhood where the parlor was located in looked like a poor one. Locke had never had money and lived in a humble apartment before the crash.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 9:44:44 AM PST
I didn't think Locke would have left the Island. Ben was their prisoner, so maybe they forced him to leave with them. And if it was Ben, Jack being upset isn't so much because he liked him all that much, but because he realized Ben was right and they weren't meant to leave the island.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 7:04:42 PM PST
I think it is Micheal. I am surprised no one else suggests that. The comment of niether friend or family would fit well. I am sure Michael must return to the island and I am sure this hints to even more future screw ups by Michael in future seasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 11:38:51 AM PST
**SPOILER POTENTIAL**

You guys should check out http://www.spoilerfix.com/lost.php for all Lost related questions. Its a SPOILER website, so do so with caution!!! They DO tell you who makes it off the island so you can take your guesses from the people they mention on the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 8:06:19 AM PST
rucktoon says:
It's Walt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 7:11:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2008 8:59:40 PM PST
Oh, I always forget about Walt. It's certainly plausible, given the evidence. Probably due to a side affect of the way the Island accelerated him into puberty. But why would nobody attend his funeral?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 10:27:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2008 10:38:10 PM PST
CalicoCat12 says:
I vote for Sawyer. Jack is upset becuase even though he's neither friend nor family, he knows Kate will be upset and that's one reason he insists on going back to undo things. The funeral parlor is in Sawyer's kind of neighborhood, and no one showed up - and he was always the loner on the Island, like in "real life." Everyone else would have had a full house. And he's certainly a candiate for dying young. So who, then, does Kate mean when she meets Jack and tells him she has to get back "to him?" (or whatever it is she says?) Well, she's proven to be a woman of opportunity, (how many men have we seen her with in flash back?) and the nice car she shows up in leads me to believe she ditches Sawyer as soon as she gets back Stateside and hooks up with either her ex or some other poor sucker. That's my vote ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 3:53:33 PM PST
The indentity of the person in the coffin has to meet certain criteria: "He" (although they were very careful not to reveal the sex of the dead person) must be poor, have no family (or friends for that matter), not be either friend or family to Jack, must be someone that Jack cares about deeply enough to want to commit suicide after hearing of "his" death, and someone Kate doesn't care very much about. Those eliminate just about everyone BUT Locke, but still! With this show you never know....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 8:36:40 PM PST
JLP says:
Didn't the obituary say that the person was from New York?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:31:50 AM PST
rucktoon says:
Hi Narhan - who is there who would go to the funeral? His mother is dead, the step-father vamoosed, grandma wanted nothing to do with him, and Michael is.....? Still a good point you make - somebody made the funeral arrangements there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 3:03:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2008 7:06:18 PM PDT
Why would Kate not go? Or anybody else (presuming anybody else who knew him was still alive)? An adult could have a pre-planned funeral, but who would give a kid a regular funeral and obituary and then not show up?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 1:40:43 PM PST
Dustin says:
I agree that its Walt - The coffin looks too small to be an adult

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2008 3:08:16 PM PST
E. Squires says:
I also think it's Michael. He betrayed the survivors of Oceanic 815 when he mercilessly killed Ana Lucia and Libby and let Ben go free. That certainly cost him the friendship of Jack, Kate, Hurley and everyone else. Then he sailed off to freedom with Walt as Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley looked on as they were being held captive by the Others. The fact that he made no effort to help them must have made them even angrier.
I don't think it's one of the "Oceanic 6." I also doubt Locke or Ben would have left the island if they had a chance to stay.
My guess is that Michael suffered a lot of guilt after his actions in Season 2, and his life fell apart once he was "home." He probably had to change his name and hide the fact that he survived the crash, since any investigation could reveal the fact that he was a murderer. So it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up living in poverty.
I think Jack feels ambivalent at the funeral home, since he himself ended up doing things he regretted to get off the island; he too left others behind there to fend for themselves; and he's lying to authorities about the fate of the other survivors. So, though he's not Michael's friend, I think he better understands the choice Michael made and can relate to the guilt it caused.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 12:28:31 PM PST
B. Stewart says:
I agree that it has to be Michael. When Jack was asked if "HE" was friend or family, Jack responded neither. But he was still emotionally struck by this death. Why, probably because he wanted revenge himself for Michael's betrayal.
But, as I have said in the "Juliet and stuff" thread, I don't think the Oceanic 6 is real. It's too early to reveal this and the writers are just setting us up for a MAJOR twist at the end of this season. We just learned that Ben is off the island and working with Sayeed (sp?).
The Others are still on the island, although not yet adressed this season.
And Jacob and the smoke remain a mystery along with the boat.
It is way too early to believe that only 6 will leave the island and that the "flash-forwards" are real. I don't believe these "visions" will come to fruition.
Just my humble opinion.

Cheers to all the LOST lovers out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:13:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2008 10:14:24 PM PST
I think it must be a one of the smaller cast members because of the size of the coffin. Locke looks too tall to fit, Hurley is a "no" due to his girth, Michael is a maybe; but one thing remains clear- Kate asks at the end of the 3rd season when asked by Jack if she had visited the parlor,"Why would I go to the funeral?" That tells me that it had to be someone that Kate really did not get along with. All speculation though-can't wait to see who the last member of the Oceanic 6 is this week!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lost: Season 3 forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost: Season 3
Lost: Season 3 by Matthew Fox (DVD - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (576)